Will Alaskans ever get a native in the White House?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:19:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Alaskans ever get a native in the White House?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Alaskans ever get a native in the White House?  (Read 821 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »

Setting aside all Sarah Palin jokes, if an Alaskan, say, the govenor, launched a campaign for president, which he or she always could, would enough people care for themto be a serious contender, let alone get the nomination or even win? Or, do small population states like that or Idaho never get enough attention in favor of candidates from bigger states like Texas or New York or Illinois?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »

I don't think its a matter of 'not getting attention', rather its just simple math.

Draw a random US citizen out of a hat and there much more likely to be from Cali/Texas/New York/Illinois than Alaska/Idaho/North Dakota

Thats just math
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »

Smaller states often have low prominence, which might make it difficult for politicians from those kinds of states to gain traction on the national level. I'm sure that there are plenty of qualified senators and governor's in small states who are just overshadowed by the politicians from larger states. However, this line of thought is upended when a small state happens to be a swing state. For example, New Hampshire being competitive in elections increases the profile of Kelly Ayotte.

Specifically regarding Alaska, I think that they might end up with one of their own in the White House eventually, but based on what we currently see in Alaska politics, it is unlikely that we will have a president from Alaska anytime soon, even though Senator Lisa Murkowski is probably qualified for the presidency.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »

Smaller states often have low prominence, which might make it difficult for politicians from those kinds of states to gain traction on the national level. I'm sure that there are plenty of qualified senators and governor's in small states who are just overshadowed by the politicians from larger states. However, this line of thought is upended when a small state happens to be a swing state. For example, New Hampshire being competitive in elections increases the profile of Kelly Ayotte.

Specifically regarding Alaska, I think that they might end up with one of their own in the White House eventually, but based on what we currently see in Alaska politics, it is unlikely that we will have a president from Alaska anytime soon, even though Senator Lisa Murkowski is probably qualified for the presidency.

So if it's small but competitive there is a chance? Places like New Hampshire may spit out a good candidate (John Lynch please). But since Alaska is a red stronghold, I can understand that to not be the case there.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:15:55 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2014, 07:18:56 PM by Never Convinced »

So if it's small but competitive there is a chance? Places like New Hampshire may spit out a good candidate (John Lynch please). But since Alaska is a red stronghold, I can understand that to not be the case there.

Precisely; if Alaska ever became competitive for some unforeseen reason, we might see a senator or governor from that state being seriously considered as a presidential candidate.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:37:45 PM »

Until I opened the thread, I thought you meant an Eskimo... Tongue

But anyways, it's up to chance, if a good candidate comes out of Alaska.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »

Precisely; if Alaska ever became competitive for some unforeseen reason, we might see a senator or governor from that state being seriously considered as a presidential candidate.
Of course Nate Silver, who was then the god of confirmation bias to liberals, said because Alaska trended Dem in 2012 for some reason, it is becoming a swing state. I proceeded to laugh my arse off and then come to like him in recent months due to him being more objective.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »

Of course Nate Silver, who was then the god of confirmation bias to liberals, said because Alaska trended Dem in 2012 for some reason, it is becoming a swing state. I proceeded to laugh my arse off and then come to like him in recent months due to him being more objective.

It seems like Nate Silver recognizes that states don't remain static politically. Still, it would appear that Silver tends to rely on numbers more than mood/personality, and that might affect how he portrays things. For all we know, he might be right about Alaska, and it could end up being a swing state in 20-30 years. I doubt that, but it is possible.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »

I don't think size of a state is a factor here. Times when vast majority of the presidential candidates came automatically from largest states (New York, Ohio etc.) has passed.

When you take a look at the list of most recent presidential contenders, it is quite diverse. Some leading possibilities for 2016 are from small states (like Biden, Schweitzer, Sanders, Martinez, Sandoval, just to mention these few names).
DS0816
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 03:31:57 AM »

Of all the presidential elections of the 1900s, Bill Clinton was the only president who didn't hail from a state not among the Top 10 or Top 20—or one with double-digit electoral votes—in population rank.

With that in mind, it's difficult to want to bet on a single-digit electoral-vote state emerging as the home state of a future president of the United States. But this is more along the historical pattern line established with vice presidents.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »

Of all the presidential elections of the 1900s, Bill Clinton was the only president who didn't hail from a state not among the Top 10 or Top 20—or one with double-digit electoral votes—in population rank.

With that in mind, it's difficult to want to bet on a single-digit electoral-vote state emerging as the home state of a future president of the United States. But this is more along the historical pattern line established with vice presidents.

Well, two most recent Veeps (Biden and Cheney) came from one-electoral vote states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies