If marijuana is so dangerous, what's going to happen in Colorado and Washington?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:39:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If marijuana is so dangerous, what's going to happen in Colorado and Washington?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If marijuana is so dangerous, what's going to happen in Colorado and Washington?  (Read 1539 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »

Just asking to the opponents of legalization. Imagine Colorado and Washington ten years from now. Assuming no other states legalize in the meantime, what type of negative effects are going to hit those states that aren't present anywhere else and what type of difficult and terrible things will the residents of those states have to deal with?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »

Abuse by neighboring state highway patrol.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »

Nebraska's already doing that IIRC.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »

Increased obesity due to increased sales of munchies.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »

Increased obesity due to increased sales of munchies.

Coinciding with record profits for the Taco Bell, Kellogg's, and Hershey's companies.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »

With a bit of luck, the presence of danger will increase social/individual responsibility amongst the populace. Reform will ensue.

Pipe dream, I know.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »

Nebraska's already doing that IIRC.

Amazingly, not so much between Steamboat Springs and Ft. Collins and Laramie and Cheyenne.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »

With a bit of luck, the presence of danger will increase social/individual responsibility amongst the populace. Reform will ensue.

Pipe dream, I know.

Does the presence of marijuana provoke responsibility in a way that alcohol, cars, and guns do not?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »

Pipe dream, I know.

Does the presence of marijuana provoke responsibility in a way that alcohol, cars, and guns do not?

Our alcohol regulations suppose that drunk drivers are everywhere, and the police need random checkpoints and warrantless searches to make society safe. Our vehicles are designed to withstand meteor strikes. Our gun laws are written as if a majority of gun owners are criminals.

I'm hoping (in vain) that marijuana will somehow cause people to question the system.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »

Our gun laws are written as if a majority of gun owners are criminals.

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »

Bro, when I buy a firearm, they check my background. If I attempt to openly carry a firearm, the police will gun me down in broad daylight. If you want to buy/own a gun, you are guilty until proven innocent.

It is what it is. You can defend it if you like, but you can't deny it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »

Who actually opposes marijuana legalization on this forum?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »

Adam, windjammer, TJ, Simfan, Supersonic, RogueBeaver, Miles, and Cassius have all said they're against it one time or another.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »

Adam, windjammer, TJ, Simfan, Supersonic, RogueBeaver, Miles, and Cassius have all said they're against it one time or another.

Interesting. That's more than I expected.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »

I am somewhat opposed, because I don't see the benefit of making a recreational drug legal to the general population. I'm not an expert on how people get addicted to drugs, but it is plausible that people who start out using marijuana move on to harder drugs in order to get more satisfaction. On the other hand, when it is used medically, marijuana surely can't be any worse than the painkilling drugs that people often receive in hospitals, and people do get addicted to prescription drugs as well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »

I am somewhat opposed, because I don't see the benefit of making a recreational drug legal to the general population. I'm not an expert on how people get addicted to drugs, but it is plausible that people who start out using marijuana move on to harder drugs in order to get more satisfaction. On the other hand, when it is used medically, marijuana surely can't be any worse than the painkilling drugs that people often receive in hospitals, and people do get addicted to prescription drugs as well.

Well duh. If you buy drugs illegally, then odds are you will be more likely to come around more illegal drugs. If it can be bought legally, it's not an issue. No one is going to buy marijuana at a legal pot store, get bored with it, and then decide to seek out a meth dealer as a result.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »

No one is going to buy marijuana at a legal pot store, get bored with it, and then decide to seek out a meth dealer as a result.

No one?  At all?  What about people who have developed a high THC tolerance, and want to try a quicker and easier high?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »

Well the same thing could occur with alcohol without pot being legal. Actually the same statistics that show that marijuana is a "gateway drug" would show the same with alcohol. How many hard drug users tried alcohol before that?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 05:24:15 PM »

Well the same thing could occur with alcohol without pot being legal. Actually the same statistics that show that marijuana is a "gateway drug" would show the same with alcohol. How many hard drug users tried alcohol before that?

I see what you're saying. Personally, I don't think alcohol benefits society either, but that's a different story. Recreational drugs just seem like a slippery slope.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »

I support legalising, but if I was going to take a devil's advocate position then:

- High taxes mean the black market for marijuana still is rampant, but now demand is higher and the drug is hard to control.

- Their is still no fantastic way to test for THC use for drivers.

- Federal laws mean cannabis businesses need to use hard cash, because they can't use banks - this means they are targets for robbery.

- Demand rises. We don't know what effects more people smoking marijuana will have on society.

As I said, I'm in favour and think most of these arguments are kind of bogus (although I think many legalisation proponents ludicrously overemphasize its importance), but you never know what crazy things can happen, until you do it.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »

No one is going to buy marijuana at a legal pot store, get bored with it, and then decide to seek out a meth dealer as a result.

No one?  At all?  What about people who have developed a high THC tolerance, and want to try a quicker and easier high?

Do you not think that in return stores will begin offering new strains targeted to individuals with higher tolerance?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »

How often does that happen?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »

I support legalising, but if I was going to take a devil's advocate position then:

- High taxes mean the black market for marijuana still is rampant, but now demand is higher and the drug is hard to control.

- Their is still no fantastic way to test for THC use for drivers.

- Federal laws mean cannabis businesses need to use hard cash, because they can't use banks - this means they are targets for robbery.

- Demand rises. We don't know what effects more people smoking marijuana will have on society.

As I said, I'm in favour and think most of these arguments are kind of bogus (although I think many legalisation proponents ludicrously overemphasize its importance), but you never know what crazy things can happen, until you do it.

Let me just point out the third is already moot, the DOJ has basically said banks will be allowed to deal with legal marijuana businesses.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:30 PM »

I'm sympathetic to those who question the marginal-benefit of legalizing marijuana; however, I'm convinced most of them are neglecting the cost of the status quo. During the last decade, we've averaged roughly 700,000 arrests for marijuana possession per year. The arrest rates for racial minorities are much higher than for whites. The social costs of the war on marijuana are extraordinary.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »

I'm not someone that gets very passionate about this issue, and when people do, it kind of gets on my nerves. But I will say that I think the people that truly oppose legalization are Baby Boomers that don't want their kids to try it (but, hypocritically, likely smoked it themselves as kids), cowardly politicians, and people who haven't tried it.

It is not harmful, we waste a bunch of time/money/lives arresting people over it, and it has some health/medical benefits as well. Basically, if you don't support making alcohol illegal as well, then you have a double standard.

And I don't buy the argument that someone that believes in limited government can say that we should only legalize it if there is a "marginal benefit" of making it legal. Is that the standard we use in this country? That everything should be illegal unless we see a marginal benefit in legalizing it? Because that would be interesting to see how many legal things we can apply that to.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies