Opinion of Common Core
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:57:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Common Core
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom Initiative

Horrible Initiative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Opinion of Common Core  (Read 2940 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »

Awful
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 11:42:47 PM »

Terrible, makes me even more glad that I was homeschooled, and I will likely do the same should I ever have kids.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 08:01:11 AM »

Doesn't seem to warrant the outrage that's been directed at it by this thread.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »

HI.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:52 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2014, 10:40:30 PM by traininthedistance »

Lotta misinformation and misconceptions in this thread.  As Lief pointed out, the testing is because of No Child Left Behind, not Common Core- and I can assure all you callow youngsters that there was plenty of standardized testing in American schools even before NCLB for crying out loud.

Jesus.  It's fine to not like something, but actually have a reason that has some basis in reality, okay?

(Note that I don't necessarily think that it's going to be a panacea or something, I'd rather wait to see more results first- just that the common talking points against it are basically 99.99% gibberish.)
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »

Lotta misinformation and misconceptions in this thread.  As Lief pointed out, the testing is because of No Child Left Behind, not Common Core- and I can assure all you callow youngsters that there was plenty of standardized testing in American schools even before NCLB for crying out loud.

Jesus.  It's fine to not like something, but actually have a reason that has some basis in reality, okay?

(Note that I don't necessarily think that it's going to be a panacea or something, I'd rather wait to see more results first- just that the common talking points against it are basically 99.99% gibberish.)
I understand that it's a different way of teaching, but it perpetuates the non-active environment we see in our schools today, especially in the lower, critical levels.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »

Extremely negative.  Any education program or system that assesses students based on standardized tests or goes by a one-size-fits-all mentality, and is based on the expectation that the achievement gap will decrease as a result, deserves to fail.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »

I think most hatred of common core is based upon individual dislike of standardized testing. Too bad. The education and labor markets are based heavily on signaling games. Without transparency, like common core or standard testing, the markets don't work. The states have done little to address the national labor market issues, except thwart the private sector when possible.

We are all trapped in school systems that acknowledge time-based achievement for the number of semester hours we've completed. Certificate-based schooling is superior, hence market-love for CPA, CFA, CFP, MOS, SixSigma, blah blah blah. Common Core is a somewhat clumsy step in that direction.

Standardized tests are your friend. You graduate when you pass, not when the school decides you've made enough trips around the sun. Gifted students can accumulate far more than a diploma and a handful of AP credits. Class structure and age mean less, which takes some of the angst out of compulsory day-care, i mean school.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »

Freedom initiative. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »