Kerry: Israel could become "apartheid" state, needs new leadership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 07:51:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kerry: Israel could become "apartheid" state, needs new leadership
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kerry: Israel could become "apartheid" state, needs new leadership  (Read 2376 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:37 PM »

So, Kerry is saying that Israel is becoming an "apartheid" state soon if it doesn't find peace with Palestine, harshly criticizes the Israeli settlement-building, warning of a return to Palestinian violence if peace talks collapse completely, and is saying that Israel or Palestine should get new leadership. Basically a giant "screw you" to Netanyahu.

http://news.yahoo.com/kerry-warns-israeli-apartheid-231200692--politics.html
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 09:45:58 PM »

Could? It already is.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:47:24 PM »

I'd thought he was better than that Sad

oy...
Meursault
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »

Holy sh**t, a U.S. Secretary of State acknowledges what the rest of us have known for a decade? How long before the President walks it back in humiliation? How long before dead0man puts in an appearance in this thread? Stay tuned!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »

Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »

You really think JH and YB would object to the idea?
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »

Tons of states have racial profiling and discrimination just as bad and worse than Isreals of South Africas. Many of them are even useful and stable allies. This probably won't come to anything.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »

So, basically, the administration is pulling a Clinton and openly trying to topple the Israeli government.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »

I really don't blame him. Kerry tried being nice and the Israelis blew him off. Their loss.
Meursault
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 10:51:45 PM »

Yes, because, as we all well know, the way to topple a government is to issue a Strongly Worded Condemnation of a policy by suggesting that it may at some point in the future (though certainly not now) lead to some Very Bad Outcomes. President Kerry owed his election in 2004 to the French, after all.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 11:16:53 PM »

About time someone said it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 11:27:56 PM »

So, basically, the administration is pulling a Clinton and openly trying to topple the Israeli government.

Haha, I wish, old friend. But at least calling the Israeli regime what it is seems to be a step in the right direction, no?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:54 AM »

Wow, Kerry is even more of a FF than I thought.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »

Guys, while I don't approve of the Palestinian treatment at all, to call Israel an Aparthied state is too far, but it may be going that way if Bibi stays on for way too long.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »

Not going to vote FF on a plutocratic tax cheat.

And while many of Israel's policies and the views on the Israeli far right are reprehensible and the US should be willing to criticize their government, remember that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict does not operate in a vacuum. I'm sure you all understand why Israel may have developed a siege mentality since 1948?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »

And while many of Israel's policies and the views on the Israeli far right are reprehensible and the US should be willing to criticize their government, remember that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict does not operate in a vacuum. I'm sure you all understand why Israel may have developed a siege mentality since 1948?

So you're pro-Israel now. Do you just feel the need to be against whatever an Obama administration guy says or does?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »

So you're pro-Israel now. Do you just feel the need to be against whatever an Obama administration guy says or does?

No, he's been in this far-right phase for a while.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 01:46:39 PM »

No, but I'm allowed to have deviating opinions from the average True Leftist, aren't I?

No, he's been in this far-right phase for a while.

Hamas is practically the definition of far-right, isn't it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »

No, but I'm allowed to have deviating opinions from the average True Leftist, aren't I?

Whatever makes you sager.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 03:02:36 PM »

Does Kerry think saying this will help him make headway with Israel?   Or did he just forget someone might be reporting/recording what he was saying?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 03:16:39 PM »

Does Kerry think saying this will help him make headway with Israel?   Or did he just forget someone might be reporting/recording what he was saying?
What makes you think he could make headway?  A lasting and just peace in the area is only possible if all sides are looking for one, and there doesn't appear to be anyone in the area who is actually looking.  Even those who have been looking have largely given up on the possibility.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »

What makes you think he could make headway?  A lasting and just peace in the area is only possible if all sides are looking for one, and there doesn't appear to be anyone in the area who is actually looking.  Even those who have been looking have largely given up on the possibility.

Kerry seems to think making headway is a real possibility given the focus he's put on the issue lately - unless he has just changed his mind.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »

The goal is to cause a panic in Israel that the US is turning on them, thus making it likely that Netanyahu will be defeated in the next election. They were apparently also making overtures to Yair Lapid, trying to see if he'd be willing to leave the coalition and oppose Netanyahu in exchange for the US' tacit backing for him as the next PM. He declined.

The US has given up on trying to negotiate a deal between Netanyahu and Abbas. The only chance they have is a more compliant Israeli leader.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 04:36:08 PM »

Kerry seems to think making headway is a real possibility given the focus he's put on the issue lately - unless he has just changed his mind.

He almost certainly thinks there is a political advantage in being seen to be trying to do something.  That alone would be sufficient motivation to make an effort regardless of whether he thought he had any chance of success.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »

Haven't people been saying stuff like this for about 40 odd years now (of course, the 'Israeli apartheid' meme is a more recent innovation, as real apartheid no longer exists to showcase how frankly absurd such comparisons are), and yet, somehow, the dystopia never comes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies