Should Canada leave the Commonwealth?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:59:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should Canada leave the Commonwealth?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Should Canada leave the Commonwealth?  (Read 2211 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2005, 05:37:25 AM »

Yes. I think the monarchy is to Canada (and Britain and Aust and NZ) just as an appendix is to a person. No real use, wastes resources and occasionally makes painful trouble.
Polkergeist

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 07:30:04 AM »

A nation can still be a republic and be in the Commonwealth.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 07:31:40 AM »

Of course not. Are you an idiot?

The extreme majort of commonwealth countries (all but about 10 of the 60-odd) are republics. One country, Madagascar, was never even part of the British empire!

Should they become a republic? Perhaps. They seem to hang on to it more then the Aussies because they like it to differentiate themselves from the Americans, I suppose. It's kida the same reason that NZ is a lot further away from becoming a republic then Australia.

Plus a powerless executive is a pretty good system. If they went for a parlaimentary republic, that'd be great, but a constitutional monarchy is just as good as a powerful executive epublic, such as the US. Whilst I'd prefer an Aussie HoS, and i'm sre the Canadians feel the same, it's not overly important.

And, to repeat, having the Queen as HoS isn't the only requirement of being in the Commonwealth.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 11:26:23 AM »

The extreme majort of commonwealth countries (all but about 10 of the 60-odd) are republics. One country, Madagascar, was never even part of the British empire!

Should they become a republic? Perhaps. They seem to hang on to it more then the Aussies because they like it to differentiate themselves from the Americans, I suppose. It's kida the same reason that NZ is a lot further away from becoming a republic then Australia.

Plus a powerless executive is a pretty good system. If they went for a parlaimentary republic, that'd be great, but a constitutional monarchy is just as good as a powerful executive epublic, such as the US. Whilst I'd prefer an Aussie HoS, and i'm sre the Canadians feel the same, it's not overly important.

And, to repeat, having the Queen as HoS isn't the only requirement of being in the Commonwealth.

Don't you mean Mozambique?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 01:08:32 PM »

NO!  And I would repeal the 1982 Constitution Act!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 01:10:14 PM »

Ah. the night of the long knives.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »

Ah. the night of the long knives.
*stunned*

Been reading up on the ANC?
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 02:45:58 PM »

No, but it really has no significant bearing on anything.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 09:01:04 PM »

Don't you mean Mozambique?

I do. It was late, and as you can tell by my typing quality and tone, I was in a bit of a sh**tty mood. I've just had my Legal Studies SAC which had caused me the troubl;es yesterday, so nopw i'm all happy and stuff Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 05:06:58 PM »

Of course not. In fact, I think the US should JOIN the commonwealth, along with Ireland and whatever other english speaking countries that aren't members.

To Richius: Good luck trying to repeal the constitution, most Canadians think it as a holy and sacred document.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies