Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:04:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 38
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over  (Read 71635 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 03, 2014, 07:34:33 PM »
« edited: May 03, 2014, 07:36:43 PM by Senator Lumine »

Event – Shanghai Treaty signed!

TO: United Kingdom, Russia.

The deteriorating state of affairs in the East was about to become worse with the worrying development of the situation in China. As Russian weapons and money were poured into the Chinese armies, the Chinese Generals ordered a deployment of forces near the British occupied zones, forcing a scandal that almost provoked a new escalation of the war. Alas, General Yuan Shi-Kai took advantage of the confusion to open a diplomatic channel with the United Kingdom, and after Russia almost abandoned its ally and with Empress Cixi and Prime Minister Balfour developing a good deal thanks to Yuan Shi-Kai and Lord Landsdowne, a formal treaty was signed between the British and the Chinese.

The specific terms of the treaty have not been released to the public, but apparently British units are preparing to return Shanghai, Wei-Hai-Wei and Nanjing to the Chinese, and it has been rumoured that Russian officers currently training the Chinese Army have been expulsed from the nation. All in all, it seems China will recover many lost territories without even entering the war, which has translated into a surge of popularity not only to Empress Cixi, but to Yuan Shi-Kai himself, a rising figure in the Chinese Imperial Court.

Crisis! – President Castro offers terms!

TO: Germany, Italy, Ottoman Empire and the United States.

After a long standoff in the Caribbean and with the moral support of Latin America behind him, Cipriano Castro has finally offered formal terms to the world powers to end the blockade and the crisis that has threatened to escalate into a war. President Castro’s message stated that current debts are: Bs120m in the main debt, Bs46m in interests, Bs186m in reparations claimed by merchants. Venezuela only makes Bs30m each year, so Castro proposed that he would free the captured ships and merchants, and he asked for the debt to be reduced to Bs100m, which would be paid over 10 to 15 years to avoid bankrupting Venezuela. He was very insistent in the fact that he will not allow occupation or concessions for the world powers, and his country stands behind him.

Event – Third Nobel Peace Prize to W. Cremer!

TO: All Players.

After last year’s surprising result with the award going to Pierre Waldeck-Rousseau and Wilhelm III, the Nobel Peace Prize of 1903 has gone to a less controversial figure: British MP Sir William Randall Cremer, an advocate for the use of international law courts to solve territorial disputes. Cremer, a known opponent of Lord Salisbury and PM Balfour, is currently trying to find a way to end the war in Russia. It has been reported that Vittorio Emmanuel III and William Jennings Bryan were proposed as candidates for the Rome conference and the outspoken attacks on President McKinley’s policies, but the attempts to win the prize for them went nowhere.

Event –Leo XIII dies, Cardinal Gotti becomes Pope Albert Sad

TO: Italy, France, Austria-Hungary, other nations are open as well.

That the old and frail Leo XIII died did not surprise much of Europe, even if the man had been Pope for more than 25 years. His legacy of eleven encyclicals (he was nicknamed “Rosary Pope”) surprised Catholics across the world, but he was also very known for his fierce opposition to the Kingdom of Italy, even attempting to move to Salzburg. When he died, most people expected Cardinal Mario Rampolla (Vatican Secretary of State) to be elected, and yet, the first couple of days yielded no results. It was rumored among the College of Cardinals that Prime Minister Giolitti and King Vittorio Emmanuel were backing Rampolla, and the Cardinals were not willing to have a stooge (even if it wasn’t the case). After Cardinal Giuseppe Sarto refused the Papal Tiara, the Austrian cardinals pressed for a neutral and more spiritual candidate: Cardinal Girolamo Maria Gotti. After another day of balloting, the decision was made. Cardinal Gotti had become the first Carmelite Pope. Promising the beginning of an era of “spiritual renewal” in the Church, Gotti took the name of “Albert” after his role model, Saint Albert of Jerusalem. Gotti also took the time to snub the Italian Kingdom by stating that one day Rome will return to the church.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #326 on: May 03, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »

OOC: Alright, several new potential wars, internal turnmoil, the return of some magnificent bastards and a pregnancy. Have fun with the next turn (as I know you will)!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #327 on: May 03, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »

I sign the Sultan's declaration
XPresident McKinley

I would like to publicly state my support for President Castro's proposed resolution.... I ask my allies in this conflict to confirm that they too are fine with the terms and if so I look forward to a productive relatinship with Venezuela in the future

The rest of my turn will come later...

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
Jul-Dec 1903

--The United Kingdom and the Chinese Empire may not have always had a positive relationship, but we are certain a new one is dawning. With China's resistance to Russian strong arm tactics we are sure a friendship can blossom. We officially withdraw from Shanghai, Wei-Hai-Wei and Nanjing and are eager for a productive future with the Chinese. Furthermore our men will be in Peking to advise the Chinese military.

--Worldwide propaganda against the Russians. Continue mobilization as well.

--The Tsarina's child is not her own, but that of Alexander Mikhailovich, her brother by law. The child, male or female, is not Russian royalty and shows how weak Nicholas II is when it comes to keeping his family in order.

--We send our condolences to the Vatican and congratulate the new Pope.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »

Russian Empire - Late 1903

• The so-called Ankara Declaration is filled with brazen lies and is a clear indicator that the imperial powers seek to bleed our people white and colonize our land. We will not surrender to the aggressors. "Preventing Russia from waging aggressive war" is code for de-clawing and de-fanging the Russian bear to render us helpless against foreign aggressors.
  • We will send supplies as well as limited reinforcements to Serbia, Montenegro, and Romania, our loyal allies. As a symbolic move, I will visit our allies' capital cities of Yerevan, Bucharest, Belgrade, and Podgorica before meeting with generals in Poland near the front lines.
  • Rozhestvensky has proven his worth, while to my eyes Makarov's reforms have failed to display significant progress. He will remain a higher-up in our navy and I will take his advice into account, but Rozhestvensky shall head our navy for the duration of this war.
  • The scheming, licentious, decadent British Empire has hit a new low. How dare you accuse my Tsarina of being an adultress?!?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2014, 05:31:38 AM »

ANKARA DECLARATION

Our goal is not to destroy Russia, but to destroy St. Petersburg's capabilities to wage any aggressive actions, open and covert alike, against countres of the world.

Russia is not only an open military aggressor, Russia is also a state supporting international terrorism. Aiding the Filipino militants and bombing the Krupp factory are just few examples of their treachery.

We had enough of the Russian double-faced eagle's lies and scheming. We reject any notion of separate peace or any agreement based upon a rotten status quo, as we all saw what is Russian word worth of.

We are firmly resolved to continue the war, along with our allies, until the Tsar accepts full responsibility and will guarantee, by clear actions, not just empty words, his country will cease to be an aggressor and terrorist supporter.

x Abdul Hamid II

We invite our allies to endorse this declaration.

X-Prime Minister Balfour
X Chancellor Büllow
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #331 on: May 04, 2014, 05:36:08 AM »

We thank the United Kingdom, the United States and the German Empire for endorsing the Ankara Declaration.

St. Petersburg's outright rejection is truly saddening. Again, we do not want Russia rendered defenseless and we are not interested in grabbing her territories. All we want are real guarantees Russia will renounce any aggression in future. That's why the six powers has united and will not rest till this is secured. As soon as the Tsar realizes that, the better for all interested sides.

We welcome President Castro's proposal to resolve the Carribean Crisis. The Ottoman Forces has proved during the conflict we are still a country to be reckoned with and the Sultan is very pleased with their performance.

The two Naval Infantry regiments are now to return to Beirut.

To: The Holy See

Your Holiness,

Please accept my deepest condolences upon Pope Leo XIII's passing, as well as my warmest congratulations upon you being called upon the St. Peters' Throne.

x Abdul Hamid II

)Rest to follow...)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #332 on: May 04, 2014, 06:46:17 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2014, 08:05:45 AM by Abdul the Reformer »

Ottoman Empire - Late 1903

-- I still have to fill the Grand Vizier position. I need someone fresh, energetic, who would embrace and carry on with my reforms. Since the Young Turks movement failed to gain traction ITL, I'm thinking of someone like the one of "Three Pashas". Yes, they are very young, so I'm still going to have a name from my advisors (GM), but with me embracing promising reforms and opposition impotent, such people might be more on my side so why not to use them?

-- It is absolutely vital we will continue our very promising internal projects and, yes, we will need a solid source of revenue to finance these goals. I'm thinking of four possible ways to raise such funds:

---- Use lands confiscated by the government to generate income.

---- Offer the aristocracy that we will not seize remaining lands if they will pay a tax, financing our projects.

---- Utilize high patriotic sentiments by releasing "Reform Bonds".

---- Seek an aid from our permanent and wartime ally. Since the Ottoman Empire is serving as an important logistical base for the Americans and the British as we battle the Russians, improvements are in their interest as well.

What is my Minister's opinion?

-- Given there's still much to be done with reforming of our military, I do not plan to overstretch my forces. Right now we're mostly providing support for our British and American allies (I'm not saying anything more till we see phase results).

I want to use some mobilized reserves, we don't need in the front vicinity right now, to improve our logistics and help with ongoing works. Therefore I shall create a "Rear Service", taking care of that stuff.

To Ministry of Defense:

---- How is the Kurdistan situation?

---- I'm still waiting to see what is left of our Navy (aside of these three battleships returning from the Carribean as we speak)

-- I cannot rely on the Secret Police indefinitely. My goal is to unite moderate reformists and the modernized army to contain both weakened radicals, as well as the reactionaries. In other words, I want to respresent a "centre", a majority as opposed to extremes. Patriotic sentiments should help.

-- I am pleased with the Senate commencing its works. I hope this institution will be of great help with carrying our my reforms, as well as a moderating influence between the factions.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #333 on: May 04, 2014, 07:33:28 AM »

I hope to have my answers up some time by this evening.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2014, 07:34:24 AM »

I hope to have my answers up some time by this evening.

I'm relieved to see you around Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2014, 08:54:13 AM by Abdul the Reformer »

Propaganda:

-- A strong performance of our troops in the Carribean proves, that we are still a nation to be reckoned with. The Sultan and the people are proud of our soldiers and seamen!

-- We are already experiencing a rapid progress domestically. Only the government can maintain a road to modernity and prosperity, as opposed to the extreme factions, both liberal and reactionary, that would only bring chaos upon the people.

-- The Ottoman Empire is no longer a "sick man", an old, crumbling empire, isolated on the world stage. We are quickly transforming into a modern power, firmly secured on the international arena.

-- If the Tsar cannot even maintain a loyalty of his own wife (the modern Marie Antoinette, it seems!), what does that tell us about his abilities as a ruler? Do we even deal with a man, or a woman in man clothes? We don't want to use a "e" word here, since being an eunuch is at least a honorable profession in service of the Sultan.

Use the allegations to ridicule the Tsar, both domestically and internationally, as well as to discredit the future heir as a bastard. Produce a juicy pamphlets to be distributed among population, as well as in the Balkans and Caucasus area. Orthodox League and Armenians, is that an ally you can depend upon?

(OOC: Spamage, that was indeed a brilliant, and nasty, idea!)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #336 on: May 04, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »

I congratulate Pope Albert's ascendance to the papal throne and look forward to working with him on behalf of Austria-Hungary's Catholics in the future.

X Kaiser Franz Ferdinand I
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #337 on: May 04, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »

I will do whatever is in my power to strengthen the rights of Bosnian Muslims and all other minorities within the Empire.  While I cannot take any formal action immediately, I hope to advance their equality as long as I reign.

I also agree to Sultan Abdul's declaration against Russia.

X Kaiser Franz Ferdinand I
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »

We thank Kaiser Franz Ferdinand I for his endorsement of the Ankara Declaration and for his will to advance equality of his Muslim subjects, our brothers in faith.

x Abdul Hamid II
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »

Panama Canal

I order the exploration of Nicaragua as an alternative to Panama for the site of the canal... I also order Secretary Newberry to develop a secret plan to coerce the Colombians into cooperation, but I also send advisors and weapons to support the Panamanian independence movement

La Follette

I support his efforts to pursue anti-trust legislation and believe the party must come around within reason. I invite "the President's men" to a weekly meeting in the Oval Office to come to agreements regarding intra party differences

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2014, 09:18:10 PM by Dr. Cynic »

The French Republic

--- In regards to the economy, I want to put a new round of public works into roads from Paris across the entirety of France. I also want to put more resources into aeronautics. France should be first among all when it comes to dominion over the skies and I want to encourage this technology. I also want to speak to my cabinet about new ways that France can invest in herself and will look to hear some ideas from them.

--- I will absolutely keep out of this current war as I don't wish to be dragged down with Russia with all the major powers united against her. I will continue to call for a fair peace. I will send out feelers to the German government to see if a new Treaty of Friendship can be signed. Privately, I will begin to set in seeds of doubt about our future relations with Russia and feel that a friendship with the Germans would be the best way to go given that Wilhelm III has dealt honestly while the Tsar has been far too cagey. Prepare my cabinet for a realignment in the alliance system for France as I feel our most important friends are now Britain and America. I want to secretly circulate some pro-British and American propaganda while doing the same with a bit of anti-Russian propaganda. Use news agencies to the best ability that I can in this regard.

--- I agree with the military commanders and I send forth The French Foreign Legion expeditionary force to serve in Libya and repulse the Senoussi rebels.

---- Begin using agents to put forth pro-French propaganda in Morocco, also use agents to incite further unrest, portraying the Sultan as someone who cannot and will not look out for the citizens of Morocco while putting up the image of France as a benevolent leader on the world stage who will grant freedom and prosperity to everyday Moroccans. See if the propaganda campaign works and if it does, we'll take it from there afterward.

--- France sends her congratulations to the Newly elected Pope. As a majority Catholic nation, France hopes to see a dynamic and engaging leader of the Church.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2014, 09:36:34 PM »

Foreign Affairs:

-- We are concerned about potential troubles in the British Middle East. Having any ethnic unrests poses a thread to our country's integrity as well.

We want to strength our regional cooperation with London and therefore we are proposing a pact, which would enable our two empires to act, so to speak, as "gendarmes of the Middle East". Both sides would pledge to support each other in dealing with such issues.

Now, that we both are fighting the Russian, I believe we can reach a new beginning. In order to break some ice, as far as my popular opinion in concerned (given we just fought a war), we would be delighted to receive an official state visit from the Prime Minister himself, a senior member of his cabinet or even a senior member of the Royal Family.

-- We join our American allies in accepting President Castro's peace proposals, although we are interested in some (not very harsh) compensation from the Venezuelan government for having committed our much needed military resources there.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »

Foreign Affairs:

-- We are concerned about potential troubles in the British Middle East. Having any ethnic unrests poses a thread to our country's integrity as well.

We want to strength our regional cooperation with London and therefore we are proposing a pact, which would enable our two empires to act, so to speak, as "gendarmes of the Middle East". Both sides would pledge to support each other in dealing with such issues.

We agree. We shall set the date for the PMs meeting which will occur next turn.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2014, 10:25:07 PM »

The USA would like to note her pleasure at our Ottoman, British, French, and German friends and their continued goals for peace with each other and in the world
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2014, 02:46:21 AM »

Oldiesfreak, why don't you answer my PM?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »

Internal political situation:

I'm very pleased the Senate got to work. According to my vision this institution shall be a place where ideas are proposed to me and where the people can come to an mutual understatement.

Yet, the people must understand that we cannot commence any deeper institutional and political reform (a constitution, for example) before we finish modernizing our economy and our military. The country must be secured first. Otherwise, we're vulnerable, one step away from the disaster, so there simply wouldn't be any use of these initiatives.

I want to base my rule upon a "silent majority", a "reasonable centre", that is establishment reformists, modernized army, middle class and advancing working class that we're doing so much for already. And as opposed to dangerous extremes (reactionary aristocracy on one hand and radical liberals on another).

Now, I won't have any use of degenerated and discredited reactionaries, so I won't bother approaching its members. But I want to welcome reasonable liberals so we will work together for progress, as long as they abandon their, so to say, "youthful indiscretions". Those fellows got a potential I don't want to waste.

(OOC: Nothing else to say before we know what the hell is going on the battlegrounds)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2014, 12:01:57 PM »

OOC-----I hope you do not mind me copying your headline, Abdul

Internal Political Situation

With La Follette as Treasury Secretary- all factions of the party should be represented and satisfied. La Follette and McKinley cooperated on the McKinley Tariff in the 1890s in the House and are old friends.

William Jennings Bryan has twice been rejected by the American people to serve as their leader. His vision of isolationism is one which would have our nation outside the channels of world commerce. His policies would ruin our economy, destroy our alliances, and take us out of the leading nations of the world. It is telling that a man who has prided himself on being a "great commoner" has now allied with the likes of Carnegie and Hearst....it does indeed show that his true intention has always been to attain power
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »

(OOC: Forgot about this one thing)

Two regiments dispatched to the Carribeans are to return to the port of Mersin, which shall be the Naval Infantry's permanent garrison. They are to engage in regular exercises there.

Meanwhile, a third regiment is to be formed, so the Naval Infantry will be of a size of brigade. The vessels used to transport troops to Cuba shall form a permanent transportation branch of the Naval Infantry.

As I'm awaiting a report of what exactly is left from the Navy (sans three battleships that are returning from the Carribean as well), I order that my admiralty prepares to see what ships can we acquire or purchase from our allies or neutral powers.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:07 AM »

Reichkanzler von Bülow:  Reichstag's speech

My fellow germans. Our secret service has finally discovered the origin of Wilhelm III's sickness: THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE. They have secretly poisoned our great Emperor. That is obviously intolerable. That's why we hereby declare that the Russian Empire is now the German's Empire worst enemy.
We have noted the neutrality of France during this war and we hope that France and the German Empire will be able to resolve their conflict peacefully.
Russians have now every country against them, and we believe we will win this war.
A message to Ukrainians, Polish, Slave,... We will liberate you.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:25 AM »

Propaganda
Encourage citizens to enlist in the war effort to defend the Kaiser and motherland; play on fears of Russian terrorism and aggression while emphasizing the attack on Poland as an effort at liberation.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies