All the King's Men
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:20:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  All the King's Men
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: All the King's Men  (Read 2850 times)
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:27:06 PM »

January 19 2010: Gov. Patrick wins Massachusetts Special Election

Today, Governor Deval Patrick has won his State's Senate Election over State Sen. Scott Brown with 53% of the vote, with Brown raking in only 45%, Brown has given his Concession speech, in which he said he "Hoped for luck in the future for Senator Patrick", this win keeps the Democrats at 60 Senate Seats. Lt. Gov. Tim Murray has taken over as Governor of Massachusetts, but he starts with bad poling, mostly due to an economic downturn and an unpopular incumbent, along with heavy vote splitting with the Green Party, who are doing unusually well in polling, even getting 10 in Boston, but we shall see how the race plays out from here on.

PPP
Who would you rather see as the next Governor of Massachusetts?
Tim Murray 40%
Charlie Baker 39%
Tim Cahill 13%
Jill Stein 6%

And with that one election after Kennedy's passing, America's future was changed, for better? Possibly. For Worse? Maybe. All that can be agreed on would be that the next couple of years would rock the boat of America and the world at large, all because of a Governor winning a Senate seat in a deep Red state*

*This is Debatable-All the King's Men, by George LaRoche, published 2040
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »

Patrick winning Kennedy's U.S. Senate seat would have been great.

I assume he did the Lone Walk in early February 2010 when he handed the governorship over to Murray.

Speaking of All the King's Men, does Patrick pull a Huey P. Long in Massachusetts?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »

January-February 2010: Usurping the Throne

After Patrick's win, Republicans were set back, they were sure that Brown v. Coakley was surefire, Brown was still doing well even with Patrick, though an 8 point blow out deeply hurt the guy, Brown later announced that he would not run for re-election to his State Senate Seat, but he shocked everyone when he announced that he would challenge incumbent Representative Niki Tsongas to hold Massachusetts' 5th Congressional District, it seemed that he would run unopposed in the Primary, though there was criticism that he did not originally live in the district, and was originally from Maine, but he brushed these complaints off, and polling showed a competitive race, Democrats had another pain in their backs for the House.

Though big news came for the Republican Party as former Judge Joe Miller denied a primary challenge against Incumbent Lisa Murkowski upon hearing the news that Former Governor Palin had declared that she herself would challenge Murkowski, and a rough fight for the Alaska Senator's Re Election, while 2004 Opponent Tony Knowles had shown himself out as a contender, Polling showed that while Murkowski was leading Palin, she was closer to losing to Knowles, the Tea Party's main opponent was Senator John McCain, who loathed the Tea Party, and was fearing considerable challenge from J.D Hayworth, and after McCain's gaffe that he said "The Tea Party can just go screw itself", he gained a lot, especially after an Endorsement from 2008 Republican Candidate Mike Huckabee.

Also Governor David Paterson decided to keep in the race for Governor, even though former Mayor Rudy Giluani had declared, and Andrew Cuomo began getting negative in his ads, and it seemed that this would be yet another Republican pickup in 2010.

Alaska Senate Republican Primary Polling (PPP)
Lisa Murkowski 47%
Sarah Palin 32%
Undecided/Other 21%

New York Gubernatorial Democratic Primary Polling (Reuters)
David Paterson 39%
Andrew Cuomo 38%
Undecided/Other 33%

Arizona Senate Republican Primary Polling (PPP)
John McCain 51%
J.D Hayworth 37%
Undecided/Other 13%

Massachusetts 5th Congressional District Polling (Rasmussen)
Niki Tsongas 47%
Scott Brown 45%
Undecided/Other 8%

Nevada Senate Polling
Sharron Angle 51%
Harry Reid 40%
Undecided/Other 9%

Generic Congressional Ballot
Republicans 48%
Democrats 46%
Other 6%

New York Gubernatorial Polling (PPP)
Rudy Giluani 50%
David Paterson 39%
Undecided/Other 11%

Alaska Senate Polling
Lisa Murkowski 52%
Tony Knowles 41%
Undecided/Other 7%

Tony Knowles 46%
Sarah Palin 40%
Undecided/Other 14%
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »

Still think Paterson wouldn't seek election to a 1st full term in 2010.

Pressure from NY State and national Democrats would overwhelm Paterson into retirement.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »

Let's have some more victories for the Dems before the midterms!
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »

New update coming soon?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2014, 09:45:35 PM by Ross Perot »

A look at the Mass. 5th House Race
Joe Scarborough|Politico

With the 2010 races shaping up to be Republican landslides, in both Houses of Congress, especially the House, where Senate Majority Leader Reid looking to lose by a considerable margin to activist Sharron Angle, but something really interesting is going on. Failed Senate Candidate Scott Brown, who notably lost to Governor Deval Patrick for the late Ted Kennedy's Senate Seat, is running for Niki Tsongas' seat in Massachusetts' 5th district, I'm going to look into this race since it's a bit of a sleeper, getting only one national poll so far.

First off, let's look at the main competitors, as both are going unopposed in their respective Primaries. Brown has been a State Senator since the '90s, yet only got national attention when he declared that he would be running for Ted Kennedy's Senate seat, and due to both Brown seemingly going up against a weak Democrat (Coakley) and a favorable national environment to Republicans, he looked like a shoo in for the Seat. But after Coakley's bout of ill health and Patrick's entrance, the race seemed more Competitive. What really cost Brown were the Debates, where he absolutely bombed, he referenced biased and incorrect studies about Obamacare, accidentally referring to Patrick as "Mrs. Coakley", and only barely shaking off a bashing by Patrick on his record as State Senator, ultimately he lost by 8 points, but now is running against Tsongas. Brown has raised his national profile even more, appearing on FOX shows like O'Reilly and Hannity, and Tsongas' heavy association with the President, who's approvals are ticking downwards every day, even in Mass. Tsongas' main attack on Brown is that he is not from the 5th District, and was born in Maine, so therefore he should not run in the 5th District's Special election, and that he was "Carpetbagging", Brown fired back claiming that he spent most of his life in Massachusetts, and that his time as both State Rep. and State Senator more than make up for being born in Maine. Brown has entered the race mostly gaffe free, though once calling Obama's Health Care Law "Clintoncare" by mistake, but that was brushed off pretty quickly. All in all, polling shows a tough fight ahead, and ADs are already turning negative, with Tsongas claiming that Brown is "Too Conservative for Massachusetts"  and "Would service the extremists", and Brown denouncing Tsongas as a "Tax and Spend Liberal". In the end, this will be a race to watch.

RATING:
Tossup

Massachusetts' 5th District Polling (PPP)
Inc. Niki Tsongas 46%
Scott Brown 45%
Undecided/Other 9%

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile, in Kentucky.............................

You know, I've been an attorney for many years, I've seen people come and go throught my time, and they seem to be dissatisfied with what is actually going on in my state. They seem to worry if  their own Social Security will be cut, if Unemployment Benefits are cut, if the Minimum Wage is lowered, they actually seem to be fearing for their livelihoods, and nothing's been done in Washington to prevent that. I mean, a tiny tiny bill the size of my thumb may be presented, but other than that, nothing. That is why I will challenge incumbent Benjamin Chandler for the Democratic Nomination for Kentucky's 3rd Congressional district, and if we work together, we can get ourselves some true change in both Bowling Green and Washington D.C!
OnlyAlb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »

Really Good Timeline!
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:42:40 PM »

Will we be getting a list of legislation passed in the 111th Congress ITTL and the changes? DISCLOSE Act is certain.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »

Will we be getting a list of legislation passed in the 111th Congress ITTL and the changes? DISCLOSE Act is certain.
Probably, I'd have to get up a bit of information though as I've mostly been focusing on Congressional Elections.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2014, 03:46:31 AM by Potatoe »

March-April 2010: Wonderwall

Starting off the month was a drop in Poll numbers for the already weakening Gubernatorial Candidate Pete Hoeskra in Michigan's Republican Primary, Hoeskra, who was running for Governor of Michigan, released a controversial ad, in which a Thai Girl aged 20, claimed to be from "Rick Snyder's Michigan" which was a grimy place full of rice paddies, the girl then said "Thanks to Rick Snide-ler, we now own American stock, and America, thanks Michigan Governor Snide-ler", she then waved a Chinese flag and walked off. The ad was called a whole load of things, scaremongering and racist being in the top five, with Snyder claiming that it was "Awkward, Incorrect and offensive", Hoeskra's Campaign team pulled the ad and made an official apology. But that didn't help the already weak Representative, who's razor thin lead had drooped 4 points, so now that Snyder was in the lead.

In Congressional news, Freshman Senator Deval Patrick was able to get a spot on a Senate team which was carefully editing the President's famous Health Care bills, though he soon quit after fighting with Sens. Levin and Durbin, though a part added by Patrick onto the bill which detailed an effort to cut High Profile corporate red tape was left in, allegedly to keep the bill popular with increasingly unhappy Liberals. Though bad headaches were to come for the President, as Representative Michele Bachmann (R,MN-6) declared that she would filibuster the law on the 22nd, when it was due to be voted on, Bachmann claimed that "Obamacare would destroy the country if passed" on an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN, in evidence, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was in fact going down in Popularity with each day, even reaching a record low of 46% on the 19th, only 3 days before voting commenced, but how would the act go down in the House?

We need a good ol' fashion kick in the rear the President's health care law, it is very bad, I cannot foresee  a positive scenario for gosh, anyone in a world where the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is passed, I forsee many dark days if this is passed at all. It's like the Hoot Smawley act in 1930, with Roosevelt getting the act passed and that caused the Great Depression. Do you want another Great Depression or Dust Bowl? I sure as heck don't"-Michele Bachmann on the House floor

HOUSE Vote on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act:
Yea: 216
Nea: 215

SENATE Vote on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act:
Yea: 60
Nea: 40

Despite Bachmann's utterly failed speech, the bill (And its cousin) got a bare bones passing, with the main bill passing only with one vote, it was troubling, seeing as the Statutory Pay as you Go act had failed only a couple of days before, the path ahead seemed troubling. So, to help the President with Liberals for the midterms, Rep. Alan Grayson drafted up the Public Option Act, which would allow people to permit to Obamacare, as well as some minor details to make Obamacare slightly similar to the UK Health Care system, however, it faltered 58-42 in the Senate, due to dissenting by Senators Lieberman and Lincoln, who had more of a Conservative streak over the past few months. A filibuster followed by Senator McConnell, which lasted over four hours, and while Moderately successful, it sparked enough fuel for Senate Majority Leader Reid to push the nuclear button, allowing the bill to pass, and it did work, boosting Obama's approvals with Democrats, albiet only slightly (Only up 2), despite 9 States (South Carolina, Alaska, Alabama, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Wyoming, Kentucky and Utah) filing to sue the Federal Government.

2010 UK General Election
Conservatives (David Cameron): 300 (+91)
Labour (Gordon Brown): 256 (-93)
Liberal Democrats (Nick Clegg): 64 (+3)

PA-12th Special Election
Tim Burns (R): 51.10%
Mark Critz (D): 48.90%

HI-1st Special Election
Colleen Hanabusa (D): 32.20%
Charles Djou (R): 32.01%
Ed Case (D): 25.01%

Though tragedy struck on April 19th, when the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, killing 18 and being named the biggest environmental disaster in US history. Response was swift, with the President signing an environmental protection bill, and BP chairman Tony Abbott making an official declaration that they will help clean up the mess left by the oil on beaches, which stretched out around 3 miles.

Alaska Senate Republican Primary Polling (Reuters)

Lisa Murkowski 46%
Sarah Palin 36%
Undecided 18%

Arizona Senate Republican Primary Polling (PPP)

John McCain 50%
J.D Hayworth 37%
Undecided 23%

Indiana Senate Republican Primary (Rasmussen)

Dan Coats 58%
Richard Mourdock 30%
Undecided 12%

Nevada Senate Polling (Rasmussen)

Sharron Angle 54%
Harry Reid 39%
Undecided/Other 9%

California Senate Polling (PPP)

Barbara Boxer 48%
Carly Fiorina 45%
Undecided 7%

Barbara Boxer 45%
Tom Campbell 45%
Undecided 10%

Barbara Boxer 52%
Chuck DeVore 40%
Undecided 8%

Mass. 5th Congressional Polling (Rasmussen)

Scott Brown 49%
Niki Tsongas 49%
Undecided 2%

Cal. 45th Congressional Polling (Reuters)

Mary Bono Mack 50%
Steve Pougnet 39%
Undecided/Other 11%

Flo. 22nd Congressional Polling (PPP)

Allen West 55%
Ron Klink 40%
Undecided 5%
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »

Praise? Criticism? Opinions?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »

I like this TL. It's interesting and keeps em on my toes. Scott Brown running against Tsongas was not something I expected to happen.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2014, 08:23:46 PM by Potatoe »

I like this TL. It's interesting and keeps em on my toes. Scott Brown running against Tsongas was not something I expected to happen.
Thanks, and I will have a lot more in store for Scotty B. Hint: Do you know that guy Huey Long? Well, there may be Huey, Dewey and Louie in store. Wink
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »

Thanks, and I will have a lot more in store for Scotty B. Hint: Do you know that guy Huey Long? Well, there may be Huey, Duey and Louie in store. Wink

Huey Long - the assassinated Louisiana Senator? You have my attention sir.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2014, 05:17:08 PM by MRX »

A better healthcare bill with a public option. Yes! Good that Reid decided to cut Lieberman and Lincoln out of the loop, and do the nuclear option. Perhaps Bill Halter wins the primary in Arkansas.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 05:41:37 PM »

A better healthcare bill with a public option. Yes! Good that Reid decided to cut Lieberman and Lincoln out of the loop, and do the nuclear option. Perhaps Bill Halter wins the primary in Arkansas.
Well, one thing I can say is that the Primary will be much tougher due to Blanche's base being disappointed in her being unable to block Obamacare, whether Halter wins is another question. Wink
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 06:37:17 PM »

Just a minor update, interviews and the like.............

"Hannity", May 7 2010

Sean Hannity: Next on my show is Senate Candidate from Delaware, Christine O'Donnell, who is trying to win the Republican Primary against Mike Castle, hi Christine.

Christine O'Donnell: Hi Sean, honoured to be here, big fan of the show.

Hannity: Thanks, so, you're trying to win against Mike Castle, and then against Chris Coons, why are you doing this?

O'Donnell: Well, I just don't believe that Mister Castle is an actual, true Republican. I don't think he actually follows the Conservative values that the Founding Fathers have. He is the most Liberal Republican in the House, he is for all intents and purposes, not a true Republican.

Hannity: Well, the National Review published a piece not too long ago, saying you had financial struggles with your Campaign?

O'Donnell: Well, I just think that is plain false, me and my campaign have gotten some funds running, we're not on the verge of collapse like Castle and Obama want people to believe, it's just a lie spread by Big Government Liberals to keep me down..................

Hannity: Alright, I'm gonna stop you there, I got a tweet from @ProudConservative, he says "Mrs. O'Donnell, what are your stances on Abortion and Tax Reform?"

O'Donnell: Well, that's a good question, well, I believe in the Right to life completely, bar the case of Rape, the life of a fetus is important to the mother and the people who operate such as doctors and surgeons, it is important that we defend it, and as for Tax Reform, we need to slash Taxes across the board, President Obama and his brigade want to keep raising Taxes so that the Average American can barely live. I mean, people, raise your hands if you don't want Obama's tax increases.

*Audience raises hands*

O'Donnell: Take that Mister President!

Hannity: *chuckles*, well Miss O'Donnell, thanks for being on the show, I back you fully for Senate, hopefully you can win.

Delaware Senate Polling (PPP)

Republican Primary
Mike Castle 48%
Christine O'Donnell 40%
Undecided 12%

General
Mike Castle 50%
Chris Coons 36%
Undecided/Other 14%

Chris Coons 45%
Christine O'Donnell 35%
Undecided/Other 20%
OnlyAlb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »

I hope Christine O'Donnell loses the primary.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »

Wouldn't surprise me if Reid lost reelection in Nevada.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 12:39:08 PM »

New update coming shortly?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »

Yeah, it takes a bit to write, be patient.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »

Yeah, it takes a bit to write, be patient.

K!
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »

Excerpt from The Tea Party: Sipping the Kool Aid by Rachel Maddow, released 2030

The Tea Party Express held a Convention on the first, it was jam packed with a bunch of figures, the obvious people like Jim DeMint, Amy Kremer and Sarah Palin, it was funny how much they overplayed it, it was flashed with red, white and blue as if it was July 4th or something like that. Even though most of it was just promoting Senate Campaigns and Primary Challenges, with people like Ovide Lamontagne, Richard Mourdock, Duane Sand, and hell, Chuck DeVore came in for some reason, rambling about how Obama shall not rule with an iron fist. But what everyone remembered the most was an appearance by Christine O'Donnell, who made a stand out speech on Tax Reform, Limited Government and how "2010 will be the year we kick Obama right back to Chicago", it got the crowd riled up, and boosted her polling by a ton against Rep. Mike Castle, who had to slow down Campaigning due to a flu contracted in Wilmington in late April, I remember visiting a Senate rally by her, it was firey, I mean, Coons' rallies seemed like lullabies in comparison, I have no idea

May 4th Primaries

Indiana Republican Primary
Dan Coats 35%
Richard Mourdock 25%
John Hostettler 23%

Indiana Democratic Primary
Joe Donnelly 51%
Baron Hill 46%

North Carolina Republican Primary
Pat McCrory 50%
Richard Burr 49%

North Carolina Democratic Primary
Cal Cunningham 46.80%
Elaine Marshall 46.20%

Ohio Senate Republican Primary
Mike Turner 53%
Rob Portman 47%

Ohio Senate Democratic Primary
Jennifer Brunner 49%
Lee Fisher 46%

Ohio Governor Republican Primary
John Kasich 66%
Bill Johnson 33%

Ohio Governor Democratic Primary
Ted Strickland 100%

Phone Call between Blanche Lincoln and Joe Lieberman
*CLICK*

"Hey Joe."

"Hello, so how much are you walloping Halter by?"

"Well, I asked the staffer about it, apparently PPP is out with a poll with me down eight, sh**t"

"Well sh**t indeed, you need to get yourself back in the game or else these Obama Democrats will get  us down the crapper"

"I agree, but how the hell do I get back my Party?"

"Well............"

"Well what?"

"Well, I tried this in Conneticut back in 2006"

"Y'mean getting Primaried? Because that's already happening *chuckle*"

"Nah, I mean running as an Independent and caucusing with the Democrats"

"Really?"

"Uh, yeah"

"I'll, think about it. Thanks Joe"

*CLICK*

CNN News Report, May 7 2010
"Today, Senator Blanche Lincoln has filed to run as an Independent in this year's Arkansas Senate race............."

Recording of Senate Candidate Michael Thurmond at a dinner, May 8 2010
"................... And you know, you know, um, the guy who makes the Liberal movement look like a bunch of f**kin' hicks? Chris Goddam Matthews, that asshole on MSNBC"

Chris Matthews on the Rachel Maddow Show, May 10 2010
"Well, Mister Matthews, what are your thoughts on the tape where Senate Candidate from Georgia  Michael Thurmond, uh, called you a hick?"

"Well, it's one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen, I was thinking why he would say that. I'm not a so called [hick], and I don't view my audience as such. If Mister Thurmond wanted my vote in the upcoming Primary, he can count it out, and I encourage my viewers to do the same"

Excerpt from Lera Cox's Announcement Speech

" I do not believe that Labor Commissioner Michael Thurmond would serve us right at all, not for the People of Georgia, but maybe for Big Business, now lemme say that I will serve the people, not the pockets of big corporations and the like........."

From the Diary of Russ Feingold

I've been bugged for a few days over Thompson, I don't understand why he's decided to run again, maybe he was just blackballed by Steele or something. But the good news is that after a bunch of weeks of me being drenched in the Republislide (Nine points in my best), I'm starting to actually  really needs to get everything in before the Midterms, my party's going down the crapper anyway, might as well get some reasonable reform first.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2014, 06:15:53 PM by MRX »

Man, if the leadership finds out about the phone call, they'll strip Lieberman of his committee chair and pressure him into retirement. Judas! What are the minor details that make Obamacare slightly similar to the NHS?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies