Would Bill Maher be more popular if he wasn't such a big meanie?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 09:54:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Would Bill Maher be more popular if he wasn't such a big meanie?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Bill Maher be more popular if he wasn't such a big meanie?  (Read 934 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »

Definitely, because that's the #1 thing people complain most about him.  Being a fellow Jersey boy, I adore the sarcastic/mean streak, but it obviously tends to tick people off.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »

"big meanie"? Did someone say this?

Either way probably not. Maybe if he weren't an atheist fundamentalist he would.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »

but isn't that his whole thing? like, if he weren't a big jackass, what would the point be?

I can't stand Bill Maher, but I think the reason he has any audience is because of the way he is. If he were just some normal comedian with liberal politics, who cares?
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:44:58 PM »

Probably not, it would make him a much more bland and unremarkable comedian because the controversy is part of his style. Those that don't like him already would still dislike him for being liberal.

And it's not really being mean, it's more acting snide/sarcastic in response to stupidity.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

You know what's weird? In a way, I kind of like Bill Maher. And yet, if he wasn't "such a big meanie", I would probably hate him.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »

"big meanie"? Did someone say this?

Either way probably not. Maybe if he weren't an atheist fundamentalist he would.

He says it himself in his stand-up specials to mock those who criticize his positions.  He'll say something like, "Now I know the Christian Right is going to say 'Oh Bill, you big meanie'!". 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »

You know, though, in matters of politics and culture, he seems to mainly pick on and mock the extremes and nutcases, which surely plays into his comedy background. I certainly don't mind him. If he didn't do that or wasn't a meanie, he'd probably just be another commentator.

Maybe if he weren't an atheist fundamentalist he would.

I take exception to that term. I'm for separating myth from real history that can be known and verified, and no one calls me a "fundamentalist historian." 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 03:00:47 PM »

You know, though, in matters of politics and culture, he seems to mainly pick on and mock the extremes and nutcases, which surely plays into his comedy background. I certainly don't mind him. If he didn't do that or wasn't a meanie, he'd probably just be another commentator.

I take exception to that term. I'm for separating myth from real history that can be known and verified, and no one calls me a "fundamentalist historian." 

Atheist fundamentalist is a perfectly fair term.  There are some atheists who are simply elitist a**holes who are mainly just atheists because it gives them an excuse to pretend they are intellectually superior to most of the world's population.  Bill Maher is a prime example of such an individual and I'm not really sure what one would call his religious views if not fundamentalist atheism. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »

Atheist fundamentalist is a perfectly fair term.  There are some atheists who are simply elitist a**holes who are mainly just atheists because it gives them an excuse to pretend they are intellectually superior to most of the world's population.  Bill Maher is a prime example of such an individual and I'm not really sure what one would call his religious views if not fundamentalist atheism. 

Then as far as you are concerned, he is an outspoken jerk, and that's fine. Maher would certainly be reviled on this forum. But he's not a fundamentalist because there is no dogma, deity, or ritual that's the basis of what he thinks or doesn't think. Religions further are not built around negatives.

The mothman should not be considered a part of biology. So am I a "fundamentalist biologist"? That's by implication an issue that has to be addressed.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »

Then as far as you are concerned, he is an outspoken jerk, and that's fine. Maher would certainly be reviled on this forum. But he's not a fundamentalist because there is no dogma, deity, or ritual that's the basis of what he thinks or doesn't think. Religions further are not built around negatives.

He can't accept ideas different than his own opinion. He is a fundamentalist.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »

One of the "tennats" of atheist fundamentalism is that religion and all religious people are stupid, evil, and/or both. Bill Maher believes these things.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »

Bill Maher would be a nobody if he wasn't a big meanie. That's his shtick.
eric3446
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »

As somebody who is a very brash left-winger, I enjoy Bill Maher most of the time. That being said, he does get a bit silly at times, and I think his attitude probably turns people away who would otherwise agree with him.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »

He speaks his mind, which is a trait I like.

And besides, I like it when someone pisses all over political correctness. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies