Ebola like virus has killed 120 in Angola
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 02:52:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ebola like virus has killed 120 in Angola
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ebola like virus has killed 120 in Angola  (Read 1146 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2005, 10:51:31 PM »

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/139352/1/.html

Better cancel those travel plans to Africa. Seriously though, anyone think this will get big.  I've always been fascinated by how viruses spread and infect, anyone else?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 11:17:29 PM »

While worse than usual, hemoragic fever outbreaks like this one aren’t unusual for Central Africa.  Such fevers tend to be self-limiting because once the outbreak becomes evident, the measures to contain it are fairly simple.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 05:16:56 PM »

While worse than usual, hemoragic fever outbreaks like this one aren’t unusual for Central Africa.  Such fevers tend to be self-limiting because once the outbreak becomes evident, the measures to contain it are fairly simple.

There's a breakout once every couple years or so. As long as it's confined to a small population it's easy to control, but if it ever gets big then that's cause for worry. Every time there's a scare that some infected person has wandered off into the woods and can't be tracked down, so the infection may spread. So far it never has. I wouldn't be surprised if the luck doesn't hold out forever though.

Car crashes, lightning strike, ebola spread... just another thing to add worry and axiety to your day Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 11:23:01 AM »

It's jot ebola, it's marbourg. It's like ebola, except that it doesnt has any signs during incubation period.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »

I've heard "Ebola-like virus" in the news and never really listened or read to what they are saying. I never saw the word "Marburg" once. Marburg is similar to Ebola, but much, much less dangerous. God bless the media.

It's not just the incubation period - the death rate for Marburg is 10%-50%, while Ebola is like 60%-90%.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 08:29:15 PM »

I heard Marburg in pretty much every story I’ve listened to on this with Ebola-like being used as descriptor in most of them as well.  Of course, I listen to NPR not TV for my news.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies