Sen. John Thune (R-SD)'s Midwestern strategy in 2016 or 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:00:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Sen. John Thune (R-SD)'s Midwestern strategy in 2016 or 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sen. John Thune (R-SD)'s Midwestern strategy in 2016 or 2020?  (Read 1227 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »

If South Dakota Senator John Thune runs for president in 2016 or 2020, where can he broaden his appeal? Can he play to the Midwest (Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, etc), or does he have no geographical appeal? Is he simply too boring?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »

He's a perennial candidate at this point. Every 4 years his name is mentioned but he never does anything. I'd say he's less well known now than circa 2006, when he was still loved for being the guy who defeated Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle. It's all been downhill from there.

moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:57:10 PM »

Kind of what Cubby said. We keep hearing about him, but in reality, I think he's more interested in Senate leadership at this point.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »

A guy like Thune makes a guy like O'Malley look like a firecracker. He just doesn't have the personality necessary for someone running these days. On top of that - as was mentioned before - I don't think he wants to run.

He'd probably over-perform in Iowa and maybe Minnesota, but I don't think his Midwestern appeal is the same type of appeal that can grab a completely different series of Midwestern states such as Ohio, Michigan, etc. It'd be like saying that Rick Perry would do well in VA because it's the South.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »

A guy like Thune makes a guy like O'Malley look like a firecracker. He just doesn't have the personality necessary for someone running these days. On top of that - as was mentioned before - I don't think he wants to run.

He'd probably over-perform in Iowa and maybe Minnesota, but I don't think his Midwestern appeal is the same type of appeal that can grab a completely different series of Midwestern states such as Ohio, Michigan, etc. It'd be like saying that Rick Perry would do well in VA because it's the South.
While I agree with you on most of this, I disagree that Thune is not charismatic. He has the potential to be-he is very well spoken, presidential in his looks, and has ambition. But that ambition lies in the Senate, not the White House.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 01:15:20 AM »

Being from South Dakota is not going to help a candidate in suburban Milwaukee or Detroit.

He may boost his numbers in Rapid City. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies