cowards!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  cowards!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: cowards!  (Read 6695 times)
senatortombstone
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2005, 07:20:14 AM »

man, I bet you people would've whined about the Filipino soldiers and officers that refused to support Marcos when his regime became unstable and thus caused for it to collapse and forced him to flee, or the Romanian military when they decided to quit following orders from Ceausescu and overthrew and killed him and his wife instead.

You're going to compare that to the freest nation on Earth?

How the hell can you call the USA the freest nation on Earth? You can't legally smoke pot, we have the Patriot Act, no gay marriage, etc. You can say it's in our benefit to not be totally free, but we really aren't the freest nation.

Freedom comes with responsibility and that doesn't include legally sanctioned bong and butt-banging.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2005, 07:21:59 AM »

man, I bet you people would've whined about the Filipino soldiers and officers that refused to support Marcos when his regime became unstable and thus caused for it to collapse and forced him to flee, or the Romanian military when they decided to quit following orders from Ceausescu and overthrew and killed him and his wife instead.
How the hell can you call the USA the freest nation on Earth? You can't legally smoke pot, we have the Patriot Act, no gay marriage, etc. You can say it's in our benefit to not be totally free, but we really aren't the freest nation.

Name a country where you can smoke pot, have gays marry, one with no Patriot Act, but it must have the same economic freedoms we have, namely low taxes, a free education, the ability to become whatever you want with hard work.  Also, that country must be able to defend itself with a strong military and its citizens must not live in fear of their government falling to a rebellion.  Look hard, because there isn't any such country.

Canada has everything you mentioned except low taxes. Canadians, or citizens in Western Europe, don't fear their government being overthrown. A strong military has nothing to do with freedom. If you want to talk about freedom from fear, the USA isn't very good because we have many more gun murders than any other first-world country per year, so we live in more fear of being murdered than Canada, France, Germany, etc.

It really depends where you live, the Us is a huge country and some places are safer than others.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2005, 08:05:53 AM »

Freedom comes with responsibility and that doesn't include legally sanctioned bong and butt-banging.

It should include those things, obviously.  Otherwise it is not a free country.  The US is way down the list of free countries - Canada is a good example of one that is more free.. the Netherlands is an even better one.

'Economic freedom' of the top-tax-rate type you prize matters only to about 1% of the population, while personal freedoms such as using drugs and purchasing or selling sex matters to a much larger share.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2005, 03:35:35 PM »

It should include those things, obviously.  Otherwise it is not a free country.  The US is way down the list of free countries - Canada is a good example of one that is more free.. the Netherlands is an even better one.

'Economic freedom' of the top-tax-rate type you prize matters only to about 1% of the population, while personal freedoms such as using drugs and purchasing or selling sex matters to a much larger share.

LOL, you really wanna get laid, don't you Opebo?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2005, 04:42:35 PM »

LOL, you really wanna get laid, don't you Opebo?

Yes, and it greatly angers me that anyone would presume to interfere in such private activities of mine.  It makes me want to feed them to lions.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2005, 05:14:26 PM »

Oh, so people should only be free to do things that senatortombstone endorses? Doesn't sound too free to me.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2005, 06:16:53 PM »

Hopefully, the CIA will contract people to kill these traitors. 

I hope you are kidding. Isn't that the kind of sh**t Saddam used to do ? That's the beauty of this country. You can oppose your government and not be killed for it. His position may be cowardly, but that's his business not ours. Most soldiers are very modest about serving their country and prideful, but they don't show that pride.

I noticed, though, that a lot of Vietnam veterans show off what they did for their country and chastize people who don't serve (Kerry, Bush, John O'neil. That all may be political though.) and WWII men are very modest about what they did and I respect them for that. Don't get me wrong I respect Vietnam vets too, I just don't like it when they boast about their accomplishments and put others who are unable to or just scared to serve down. It's their job to protect those people and they should know that.

Before you rip into me, I just want to say that I would give anything in this world to serve my country in the Army, but unfortunately I was cursed with epilepsy (seizure disorder), its controled with medication but the Army wouldn't be able to send it overseas. I would give anything to be able to serve my country, so after I graduate from college in 3 years I'm joining the peace corps, so I can help people around the world and represent my country at the same time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies