Opinion of political candidates who run ads touting their 'business experience'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 02:54:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of political candidates who run ads touting their 'business experience'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
FFs

HPs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Opinion of political candidates who run ads touting their 'business experience'  (Read 2236 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »

Made in reaction to this

HPs, obviously.  What makes a businessperson more qualified to run part of the government than someone who doesn't have that experience?  If anything, wouldn't someone who has been in government all their lives have the knowledge and experience necessary to be "trusted" with the job?  And if the main objective for a businessman is to see their company grow, why would they want a job in which they'd promise to shrink the size of the entity?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »

A successful business man knows how to keep government from getting in the way of other small business men, allowing them to propser, and employ.

FFs
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »

I don't really have a problem with it. FFs because Atlas.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

HPs because I'd prefer literally anyone to a 'business owner' holding office.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »

I don't necessarily object to it - I mean what is the alternative? Lawyers, celebrities, and the progeny of political dynasties? F'ck that. - but any politician who claims credibility based on experience in the private sector had better show that they're capable of managing something successfully with a broader set of goals than merely turning a profit. Ceteris paribus I'll vote for the candidate with non-profit or public sector experience, but that kind of choice is a rarity.

Actually I would in general prefer lawyers.  If you're in the business of making laws, having a professional understanding of how the law works in general is kind of the best preparation I could think of.

After that, I'd generally prefer non-profit and academic experience, but all else being equal I guess I would take a businessperson over a random celebrity.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:25:48 AM »

Practical experience with fiscal discipline is FF, but business people don't necessarily make great policymakers.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »

There are lot of countries, which are run like businesses, most of us are just lucky not to live in them.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »

I don't necessarily object to it - I mean what is the alternative? Lawyers, celebrities, and the progeny of political dynasties? F'ck that. - but any politician who claims credibility based on experience in the private sector had better show that they're capable of managing something successfully with a broader set of goals than merely turning a profit. Ceteris paribus I'll vote for the candidate with non-profit or public sector experience, but that kind of choice is a rarity.

Well, to be fair, lawyers have good firsthand experience with both the public and private sector.  It all depends though, and I don't think a certain profession automatically qualifies or disqualifies someone for elected office.  Personally - and of course I'm biased - I would love to see more clergymen in Congress, but I know that everyone except Nathan and maybe one or two other people here would disagree with me on that.  How many philanthropists are running our government?  At this point, I'm more concerned with a person's judgment and perspective than their expertise or prestige.  A fancy education doesn't change who a person is.  Having experience doesn't mean you'll always do what's right or even practical.  There's too much incentive to do otherwise.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »

I'm okay with it if they provide specific examples, but most don't. And most want to run the government "as a business", which is a horrible idea.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »

This poll is just... I dunno, I don't see a reason for it, though.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 01:34:39 PM »

HPs because I'd prefer literally anyone to a 'business owner' holding office.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2014, 03:38:51 PM by Rep. Deus »

I'm okay with it if they provide specific examples, but most don't. And most want to run the government "as a business", which is a horrible idea.
Yeah, I've always found that expression incredibly stupid, especially considering the political orientation of the people who typically say stuff like that. I mean, why would a business want to cut its own revenues?

Anyway, I agree with Grumps. Being a business owner means that you understand how not to harm businesses. Of course, it can also be a negative in that it would incline a politician to favor businesses in an unfair manner. Still, I see little difference between pro-business politicians who advertise their business careers and female pro-choice politicians who advertise their experience as single mothers. They're both just trying to communicate that they understand the concerns and interests of their respective groups. Whether legislating/governing based on those concerns/interests is a good or bad thing is for voters to decide.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »

Need to be permanently banned from public office (sane).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »

I don't really have a problem with it. FFs because Atlas.

Dude, stop taking stances just for the sake shock value. Seriously, that's childish.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

Basically what Deus said. Useful if they're pro-market, not pro-crony capitalism/corporate welfare.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »

[/quote

Dude, stop taking stances just for the sake of shock value. Seriously, that's childish.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »

Dude, stop taking stances just for the sake of shock value. Seriously, that's childish.

Nah, you're wrong, I certainly didn't expect my stance to generate shock on here.

Also dude, learn how to use quote tags. Tongue
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »

Basically what Deus said. Useful if they're pro-market, not pro-crony capitalism/corporate welfare.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 07:23:40 PM »

You and I have very different ideas of "sane". Of course, I suppose that's why I have a blue avatar and you have a red one. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »

Folks around here don't think understanding finance and balance sheets is helpful in governance decision making? Really? Sure, what makes a good politician is mostly not about that, but in a way, that's a shame. Who doesn't want government to get the most bang for its buck, and avoid insolvency down the road?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2014, 08:03:01 PM by Lt. Governor TJ »

I would expect business experience to be helpful in an executive office where management is crucial. For legislative offices we would be best served with people from a mix of backgrounds and areas of expertise.

As for the question, yep, sure HPs; let's just go hang all the businessmen in our Marxist revolution Roll Eyes

(That's not to be directed at the like two leftists here who gave reasonable explanations for their HP vote, though there is still no reason to single out businessmen)
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »

Folks around here don't think understanding finance and balance sheets is helpful in governance decision making? Really? Sure, what makes a good politician is mostly not about that, but in a way, that's a shame. Who doesn't want government to get the most bang for its buck, and avoid insolvency down the road?

That's crazy talk
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »

Whatever your background is, you need to clearly communicate how your skills will translate into success in the office you're running for.

Generally, I think your run-of-the-mill manager is better suited to a managerial position in government - heading a specific department or agency - than to being a legislator.

The biggest problem with the Ron Johnson types is that they take the profit-maximizing private enterprise framework and try to shoehorn it into government and just end up running government with the end goal of nothing more than minimizing costs, which isn't the purpose of government and never has been.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 08:55:59 PM »

Nah, you're wrong, I certainly didn't expect my stance to generate shock on here.

Also dude, learn how to use quote tags. Tongue

It's not about knowledge, it's about choice, dawg.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »

Thinking you'll make a good politician because you are a successful businessman is like saying you have International knowledge because you can see Russia from your home.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies