Eurovision Song Contest 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:09:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Eurovision Song Contest 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest 2014  (Read 9130 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 06:31:48 AM »

Sido, a controversial rapper and one of Germany's judges called her "weird" and ranked her only 14th ...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »

Were people really SJWing out over people calling a drag queen "he/him"? lol
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »

Well when Hilfy is intentionally doing it to be an asshole...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »

The singer identifies as a male; Conchita Wurst is entirely a persona. He is the correct pronoun to use in this case.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »

The singer identifies as a male; Conchita Wurst is entirely a persona. He is the correct pronoun to use in this case.

As if Hifly cares either way.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2014, 10:47:25 PM »

For the persona, though?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2014, 03:31:35 AM »

So, the 60th Song Contest will be held here in 2015.

But where ?

All state governors, except Salzburg*, want the Song Contest take place in their states.

* Both the Salzburg Governor and Salzburg City mayor have said that they are opposed to holding it in the state, because it would meddle with Salzburg's unique standing in the world because of the Salzburger Festspiele - known all around the world. Besides, there's no venue in Salzburg that can host more than 10.000 people other than the Red-Bull arena, which has 30.000 seats, but no roof - making it an outdoor song contest.

That leaves:

* Vienna (@ the Stadthalle) - which is an indoor hall used for concerts (17.000 seats)
* Graz (@ the Schwarzlhalle) - which is an indoor hall used for concerts (20.000 seats)
* Innsbruck (@ the Olympic Hall) - which is an indoor hall used for concerts (12.000 seats)
* Klagenfurt (@ the football stadium) - which would be semi-outdoor because the roof is not over the football field, only where the people sit (35.000 seats)

In Copenhagen, they used a hall where ca. 11.000 people were able to watch.

The venues in other states such as the Lake-Arena (Seebühne) in Bregenz (used in James Bond movies) - would be outdoors and could be too small (only 5.000-8.000 visitors).

The ORF will decide in roughly 2 months where to host it. If the ORF chooses a smaller outdoor venue, it would be the first outdoor Eurovision Song Contest. The ORF is also budgeting ca. 20-50 Mio. € for hosting the event.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2014, 03:52:48 AM »

I think the frontrunners are clearly ...

... Vienna:

... and Innsbruck:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2014, 04:02:11 AM »

The Festbühne (Lake Stage) in Bregenz (Vorarlberg) used for the Bregenz Festival would have it's own flair though:

But you never know how the weather will be ...
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »

I do, which is why I use the correct pronoun.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »

Most drag queens don't care too much what pronoun you use, at least in the U.S., though she/her/hers are more common for the persona.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »

Well, not really. She once said in a radio-interview; she would like to be called "she" when's she's in her role as Conchita, and "he" when she lives her real life as Tom.

You forget Tender, Innsbruck has a second location - the Bergiselschanze. It's a ski jump hill, just above of Innsbruck at the "Bergisel" (Mount Isel). It would have place for 26'000 people, and also room for all the PR stuff; yet the main problem is the weather.

I would prefer it having it in Innsbruck, I live just 20 minutes away from it Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2014, 11:13:52 AM »

I would prefer it having it in Innsbruck, I live just 20 minutes away from it Wink

(Bergisel picture)

Of course. But outdoor ...

I'd prefer Innsbruck over Vienna too, I'm living just 90 minutes away as well.

But I wouldn't attend this thing next year.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »

Well, not really. She once said in a radio-interview; she would like to be called "she" when's she's in her role as Conchita, and "he" when she lives her real life as Tom.

That is totally irrelevant; I'm not going to use a pronoun designated for a woman when referring to a man, for it is wholly incorrect.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »

^ All the nonsense about GENDERING LANGUAGE etc. doesn't even apply here since the guy in question is literally a man and as far as I'm aware is not transsexual in any sense aside from the fact that he adopts a silly persona and sings. Tom Hanks isn't actually an astronaut and referring to him as such would be weird and inappropriate.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »

That is totally irrelevant; I'm not going to use a pronoun designated for a woman when referring to a man, for it is wholly incorrect.

This is a) not irrelevant, and b) you're the one that's incorrect. If she wants to be called that way when being Conchita, why can't you just do it. It's like when you would like to be called Robbie, but everyone calls you Bobby.

Yeah, outdoors isn't good... The Olympiahalle has a great atmosphere though, and it would be great if it was hosted in there. But of course it will be Vienna... It's always Vienna Wink
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »

Is it really too hard to use a different pronoun? Particularly since the Conchita persona is a character, like John Travolta's role in Hairspray?

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »

This is a) not irrelevant, and b) you're the one that's incorrect. If she wants to be called that way when being Conchita, why can't you just do it. It's like when you would like to be called Robbie, but everyone calls you Bobby.

It's not really like that though, is it?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2014, 11:35:18 AM by Hifly »

This is a) not irrelevant, and b) you're the one that's incorrect.

Please take heed of what you're writing because you are phrasing subjective statements as if they are testable, and in this case it is testable to for me to declare that you are in fact wrong. Herr Neuwirth is literally a man in every relevant way possible; legally, physically, biologically, you name it. Putting on a dress, long hair and a silly name does not change your gender. Educate yourself before saying something like that. ENGAGE BRAIN AND LEARN.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:15 AM »

Thanks for reporting my post. I've now had to moderate it myself.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »

It's not really like that though, is it?

I just don't understand quite why calling someone by different gendered pronouns causes such a ruckus anyway- it's not like gender should define who someone is.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »

I admit that I was initially offended by your referring to Conchita Wurst as male, but I now see that that wasn't done out of a lack of sensitivity, but merely because you're a grammar Nazi as well. I apologize for my initial misjudgment, and would advise everyone else in this thread to lay off.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »

This is a) not irrelevant, and b) you're the one that's incorrect.

Please take heed of what you're writing because you are phrasing subjective statements as if they are testable, and in this case it is testable to for me to declare that you are in fact wrong. Herr Neuwirth is literally a man in every relevant way possible; legally, physically, biologically, you name it. Putting on a dress, long hair and a silly name does not change your gender. Educate yourself before saying something like that. ENGAGE BRAIN AND LEARN.

Of course that does not change Tom to a woman, he is of course still a man. But if Tom asks to be called "she" after putting on that dress, long hair and a silly name; can't we just do what Tom wants us to do, and call him "he" while living as Tom, and call her "she" while living as Conchita?
This is not about either of us being right or wrong, but about another human being wishing to be accepted as how he/she wants to be.

And just for the record, I did not report your post.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »

In this particular case German grammar provides an elegant way out of the debate whether you should use the pronoun "he" or "she": Just refer to Conchita as "die Wurst". Problem solved. Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »

In this particular case German grammar provides an elegant way out of the debate whether you should use the pronoun "he" or "she": Just refer to Conchita as "die Wurst". Problem solved. Wink

And the corresponding pronoun would be "sie", zur Wurst Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies