MW: Midwest Extraterrestrial Life Act (Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:04:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MW: Midwest Extraterrestrial Life Act (Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MW: Midwest Extraterrestrial Life Act (Withdrawn)  (Read 1025 times)
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »
« edited: March 21, 2014, 12:40:51 PM by Arturo Belano »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor windjammer
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »

Well, I have nothing else to say, have you some questions?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »

lol
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »

You're boring Oakvale.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »

Especially from someone who deeply supports legalizing polygamy.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »

My apologies for caring more about actual human beings than granting full citizenship to space monsters.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »

My apologies for caring more about actual human beings than granting full citizenship to space monsters.

Oh my god, you're racist towards Aliens. It surprises me for someone who has launched "Atlasians against the Common Sense State".
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »

How would you feel about group marriages for aliens?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 02:11:09 PM »

I will certainly concede that no-one could accuse this legislation of being "common sense".
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »

My only question is (and I apologize for appearing in the Althing out of nowhere) why again? This bill already died less than two months ago in the first attempt, and this is exactly the same bill.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

My only question is (and I apologize for appearing in the Althing out of nowhere) why again? This bill already died less than two months ago in the first attempt, and this is exactly the same bill.
This time, it should be able to pass.

And I of course enthusiastically support this bill as is! As I've said time and time again, the universe is made up of billions of galaxies and an invasion by aliens is imminent. We not only have to adjust ourselves for this to protect our own well-being, but make the aliens feel welcome on Earth and give them their own separate part of the planet to share among humans. I urge Reps. Cris and Brewer to support it as well.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 03:56:24 AM »

You can appear in the Althing, all people can, no problem!

I would like to point out that the last bill had passed, but you had vetoed it. So, it should pass this time.

Thank you for your support Adam.
Brewer, Cris?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »

I'm against this.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 09:27:54 AM »

Why?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »

For the same reasons of the last time.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »

Which were?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »

How do you know that the aliens won't be dangerous?
If their objective is to invade us?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »

The closest we are to knowing whether or not there is extraterrestrial life is that there was ONCE water on Mars and MAYBE if we dig far enough, we'll find something on Europa. Maybe we should legislate when we have a better idea of what aliens would even be like. Let's be realistic.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 10:09:13 PM »

Humans are dangerous to, so even if the aliens are a bigger threat than imagined, that's why the 3rd part of the bill allows for police intervention to avoid an encounter. However, they should still be entitled to equal rights and since the federal government likely won't legislate on this, it's the responsibility of the regions then to take it up at their own will. Atlasia abolished the death penalty, legalized SSM, ensured voting rights for everyone, raised the minimum wage, and this would be one step forward for full equality. We need to give aliens an opportunity to prove that they will cooperate in return for land, food and whatever else they need to survive and live happily on Earth. And if we make sure the aliens don't have vaporizers on them, then I think everything will go accordingly. They can be taught to behave just like children are.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:05 PM »

I guess I have to ask again, why is this a Midwest piece of legislation? I mean, it would make more sense (I guess) if someone tried to push this as a federal or as a global issue but I fail to see why the Most Serene Republic should pass a piece of legislation regarding a topic in which we have no actual knowledge and no actual authority. Yes, I wish to know if we are not the only ones out there, and yes, I hope they act they childs so we can apparently "domesticate" them, but to give them equal rights out of the blue might not prove benefitial, specially in the case of an emergency.

I honestly fail to see the point of the comparison between issues like the death penalty and same-sex marriage and the supposed "alien equality". We are dealing with the unknown, and you simply can't build something on that and expect everything to go smoothly...
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »

I guess I have to ask again, why is this a Midwest piece of legislation? I mean, it would make more sense (I guess) if someone tried to push this as a federal or as a global issue but I fail to see why the Most Serene Republic should pass a piece of legislation regarding a topic in which we have no actual knowledge and no actual authority. Yes, I wish to know if we are not the only ones out there, and yes, I hope they act they childs so we can apparently "domesticate" them, but to give them equal rights out of the blue might not prove benefitial, specially in the case of an emergency.

I honestly fail to see the point of the comparison between issues like the death penalty and same-sex marriage and the supposed "alien equality". We are dealing with the unknown, and you simply can't build something on that and expect everything to go smoothly...
Because simply, it can pass this time around and it needs to pass so we can protect our alien brethren. And unfortunately, I just don't see a majority of the Senate or President Duke backing this, so we need to rely on regions to bring justice.

I can see where you're coming from in the goodness of safety precautions, but if we only give equal rights to sentient aliens, that could be considered grounds for discrimination by judging the aliens on who they are and how they act. We should treat them all the same at first, aliens and humans, and if anything should go wrong with any of the aliens, then they can be punished or trained according to how severe their crime and bad behavior might be, but we shouldn't punish all of them because of the way a handful of them might act.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 04:31:36 AM »

Do you guys have any idea how ridiculous the premise of this bill is?

Here are the assumptions you're making -

1) Extraterrestial "life" as we understand it exists (pretty dubious)
2) Humanity will encounter it in the next 200 years (vanishingly improbable)
3) Not only will we be able to comprehend this "life", they will somehow be sufficiently understandable to be granted "rights", and can be dealt with by local law enforcement (!!!!!).

Atlasia is not a game set in the Star Wars universe. We have no reason to believe that little green men exist, let alone that we will ever encounter them. This bill assumes that we'll not only encounter "life", but that it will take the form of some relaxed space monsters who'll come down to earth and maybe drink a few beers or something and deserve equal treatment under the inherently human concept of the "law".

This bill makes as much sense as crusading to grant equal rights to a brick wall.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 05:23:35 AM »

Do you guys have any idea how ridiculous the premise of this bill is?

Here are the assumptions you're making -

1) Extraterrestial "life" as we understand it exists (pretty dubious)
2) Humanity will encounter it in the next 200 years (vanishingly improbable)
3) Not only will we be able to comprehend this "life", they will somehow be sufficiently understandable to be granted "rights", and can be dealt with by local law enforcement (!!!!!).

Atlasia is not a game set in the Star Wars universe. We have no reason to believe that little green men exist, let alone that we will ever encounter them. This bill assumes that we'll not only encounter "life", but that it will take the form of some relaxed space monsters who'll come down to earth and maybe drink a few beers or something and deserve equal treatment under the inherently human concept of the "law".

This bill makes as much sense as crusading to grant equal rights to a brick wall.

better safe than sry
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »

Yeeaahh, I'm going to have to go with Oakvale on this one. The whole premise of this bill is silly.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »

But seriously, how this bill could destroy the capacity of humanity to defend themselves? I fail to understand, if a human is dangerous, he's arrested. It would be the same thing with an "alien".

Well, it seems it isn't going to pass, unfortunately. I definitely believe we will meet other "species" one day, and this bill could have prevented some abuses. The law must deal with all possible issues!

And to respond to Lumine, once again Women righs were initially made locally, not federally. You can agree or not with this bill, but I fail to understand this argument that "it should be made at state level".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies