Whe are some people so opposes to Private Schools?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:36:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Whe are some people so opposes to Private Schools?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Whe are some people so opposes to Private Schools?  (Read 7574 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2005, 07:35:32 AM »

I don't like intolerants interesting themselves in my business.

You seem okay inserting yourself into these so-called intolerants' business, with your opposition to people being able to teach their own children.

No, the distinction there is that they are oppressing their children by forcing them into certain kinds of indoctrination.  My 'interference' is similar to the interference of the State in the activities of a kidnapper.  If I were to vote for the State to interfere in this I would be voting to protect the freedom and rights of the children, not interefering with the parents' rights.   This is assuming we define a child as a person, rather than a mere chattel of the parent.

I'm of two minds on this - obviously the results of allowing parents unlimited power over their children will be horrific, however it is impractical to fully remove children from the parent's grasp. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2005, 07:47:08 AM »

Oh, I get it. So banning free speech, then, is not restricting anyone's freedom, because you're really protecting people from the oppression of different kinds of indoctrination.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2005, 10:24:31 AM »

I don't like intolerants interesting themselves in my business.

You seem okay inserting yourself into these so-called intolerants' business, with your opposition to people being able to teach their own children.

No, the distinction there is that they are oppressing their children by forcing them into certain kinds of indoctrination.  My 'interference' is similar to the interference of the State in the activities of a kidnapper.  If I were to vote for the State to interfere in this I would be voting to protect the freedom and rights of the children, not interefering with the parents' rights.   This is assuming we define a child as a person, rather than a mere chattel of the parent.

I'm of two minds on this - obviously the results of allowing parents unlimited power over their children will be horrific, however it is impractical to fully remove children from the parent's grasp. 

what the hell is up with all of this "child'right's" Bullsh**t?

Children are under the authority of their parents.  That means that parents are responsible for their children, not the children for themselves.

A parent should be able to determine how their child will be educated. 

Truth is people like Opebo ould rather see a child put through a violent, interachieving public school than private one that has high standards and results.

liberal selfishness and jealousy at its worst.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2005, 02:56:10 PM »

Oh, I get it. So banning free speech, then, is not restricting anyone's freedom, because you're really protecting people from the oppression of different kinds of indoctrination.

No, children are generally under the dictatorial control of parents.  The point is that they are prevented from hearing opposing points of view particularly in private schools.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2005, 02:58:25 PM »

opebo, as you like to say, morality is subjective. What you consider to morally correct, others wouldn't want to teach their children.  Gotta respect the rights of others if you want them to respect your rights.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2005, 03:01:21 PM »

No, children are generally under the dictatorial control of parents.  The point is that they are prevented from hearing opposing points of view particularly in private schools.

The child doesn't want the other point of view more than his parents', so your 'point' is asinine. You want to force other views on him.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2005, 03:03:16 PM »

It's the public schools that cram a one-sided politically correct secularist view down our children's throats.  the worst part is the kids and parents have no say in it.  

If children are under the "dictorial" control of parents then parents are held hostage for 18 years raising their kids.  With that control comes responsibilty and accountibility.

Honestly, Opebo, you have said some pretty stupid things and have expressed some pretty stupid ideas on this board.  I am not sure just how stupid this one is but i would say it's average stupidity for you.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2005, 03:04:44 PM »

Opebo is just afraid that children might remain Christians if educated in public schools.

Opebo is a God-hater, that is why everything he says is so ridiculous.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2005, 04:03:36 PM »

I find it hard to hate something that doesn't exist.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2005, 04:09:39 PM »

Opebo is just afraid that children might remain Christians if educated in public schools.

I know that the vast majority of kids and teachers at my school are religious. Are you suggesting that there may be some sort of anti-religious bias?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2005, 04:23:04 PM »

Prove that God does not exist.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2005, 04:46:26 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2005, 04:48:29 PM by patrick1 »

wow, you have no complaints about having to wear stupid uniforms and being told how evil masturbation is at school?

and of course, there's something many Catholic schools do which is in my view the single worst thing any school can do: segregate by gender.

No, I do not have any complaints on establishing myself as an individual through who I am as a person rather than what person's   name is on my clothing.   As for masturbation you will be surprised to learn that the topic does not come up nearly as often as in does in your Atlasia posts.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2005, 05:37:41 PM »

The child doesn't want the other point of view more than his parents', so your 'point' is asinine. You want to force other views on him.

How do you know what he wants?  No one gets to know, because he is under his parents' control.  I know when I was a youth I couldn't wait to get away from my parents' stultifying world-view.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2005, 05:40:56 PM »

If he doesn't agree with his parents, he isn't being indoctrinated, now is he?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2005, 07:52:25 PM »

wow, you have no complaints about having to wear stupid uniforms and being told how evil masturbation is at school?

and of course, there's something many Catholic schools do which is in my view the single worst thing any school can do: segregate by gender.

No, I do not have any complaints on establishing myself as an individual through who I am as a person rather than what person's   name is on my clothing.   As for masturbation you will be surprised to learn that the topic does not come up nearly as often as in does in your Atlasia posts.

I second that.  I was never told that masturbation was bad.  And like patrick1, I went to Catholic school for most of the time.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2005, 07:54:20 PM »

If he is indeed real, he should be abolished.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2005, 08:17:44 PM »

If he is indeed real, he should be abolished.

How do you know God doesn't agree with you, but has a policy of non-interference in mortal affairs? I find statements like the one you just made rather idiotic, since you don't even know what God is like, should God exist.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2005, 08:25:41 PM »

I second that.  I was never told that masturbation was bad.  And like patrick1, I went to Catholic school for most of the time.

I've never been told it was good either at public school so there goes the arguement.
Cashcow

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2005, 10:29:46 PM »

I've never been told it was good either at public school so there goes the arguement.

I was!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2005, 01:24:03 PM »

no, I hate private schools because all of them in Mississippi exist for one reason:  to keep out black people.  The racist people who go to them are so arrogant also.

Even if that statement was true, that does not reflect the nature of all private schools. You just hate the racist ones - prejudiced blanket statements will get you nowhere.
Tell me a private school (not counting parochial schools) in Mississippi that wasn't built during Integration to keep out blacks and I'll retract my statement.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2005, 01:31:15 PM »

no, I hate private schools because all of them in Mississippi exist for one reason:  to keep out black people.  The racist people who go to them are so arrogant also.

Even if that statement was true, that does not reflect the nature of all private schools. You just hate the racist ones - prejudiced blanket statements will get you nowhere.
Tell me a private school (not counting parochial schools) in Mississippi that wasn't built during Integration to keep out blacks and I'll retract my statement.

Did you even read my post? I'll repeat it for you:

If you hate racist private schools, I'm with you, but hating all private schools because of the actions of those in your state is dumb.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2005, 02:49:16 PM »

How do I know that you exist, that you're a real person and not some Artificial-Unintelligent computer program posting stupid ideas and thoughts?  Because honestly If I had to pick from you being an AU or a real person, I'd pick the former.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2005, 04:27:54 AM by Marxism-Leninism-Maoism »

How do I know that you exist, that you're a real person and not some Artificial-Unintelligent computer program posting stupid ideas and thoughts?  Because honestly If I had to pick from you being an AU or a real person, I'd pick the former.

Why? You have realized that a lot of people don't believe in God anymore?

A welfare reciepient is dependent on welfare because he's poor of wealth.

A fanatic is dependent on religion because he's poor of intelligence.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2005, 04:39:53 PM »

I don't get it.  Private schools are amongst the biggest pet-peeves of the more liberal posters here.  Why do they hate private schools so much?

Personally I think it is because most private schools are of a religious nature and most hardcore liberals hate relgion, especially Christianity.  Liberals would rather have children go to secular public institutions and corrupt their faiths, than let them ave free-choice in schooling.

That's just my opinion though.  Am I wrong liberals?  Is there another reason why you all seem to hate private schools?

I don't hate private schools at all. I believe students should receive a secular education and that federal money shouldn't be going to schools that indocrtinate a specific religion, but I have no problem with teaching religious history or enforcing/trying to instill moral values.

Right now, we have the free market is every major huge institution where it is practicable (few would argue for limiting police protection to those who can afford it, for example)...even in the military. The one big exception schools. We have a completely state-run system in schools. And it achieves nothing but one big interest group, and a ton of waste, inefficiency, and bureacratic momentum. The 18 year olds coming out of high schools today learn less in school than 18 year olds coming out 40 years ago. While virtually every other part of our society has improved in the last 40 years, the grade schools have deteriorated. In fact, grade school today is just one big playground where nothing serious is accomplished by the vast majority of people after the 9th grade. I'm simply convinced that students in public schools don't realize what they are missing.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2005, 05:40:25 PM »

Right now, we have the free market is every major huge institution where it is practicable (few would argue for limiting police protection to those who can afford it, for example)...even in the military. The one big exception schools. We have a completely state-run system in schools. And it achieves nothing but one big interest group, and a ton of waste, inefficiency, and bureacratic momentum. The 18 year olds coming out of high schools today learn less in school than 18 year olds coming out 40 years ago. While virtually every other part of our society has improved in the last 40 years, the grade schools have deteriorated. In fact, grade school today is just one big playground where nothing serious is accomplished by the vast majority of people after the 9th grade. I'm simply convinced that students in public schools don't realize what they are missing.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I think you're overblowing it a bit. I went to a public school, and it was a very good school - of course, there was also active involvement from the parents, and the school encouraged it. While I agree that private schools are often superior institutions, I argue that the two most important aspects in the educational process are how interested the parent is and how interested the student is(which often has a lot to do with the former). Parents who send their kids to private schools are much more likely to have an active interest, as opposed to public schools where you get a mixed bag. As to the second, I knew a guy who went to a very good private school for all but his last semester of high school - he was kicked out due to low grades, but he was more than smart enough to get an A in all his classes if he only applied himself. No matter what level of quality a school has, if the student isn't interested in learning it does no good. The opposite applies - an interested and determined student in a bad school can do very well(seen this happen, very smart engineering student I know at college was from a crappy high school), though would still likely do better in a better facility.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies