Whe are some people so opposes to Private Schools?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:27:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Whe are some people so opposes to Private Schools?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Whe are some people so opposes to Private Schools?  (Read 7575 times)
senatortombstone
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:09:39 PM »

I don't get it.  Private schools are amongst the biggest pet-peeves of the more liberal posters here.  Why do they hate private schools so much?

Personally I think it is because most private schools are of a religious nature and most hardcore liberals hate relgion, especially Christianity.  Liberals would rather have children go to secular public institutions and corrupt their faiths, than let them ave free-choice in schooling.

That's just my opinion though.  Am I wrong liberals?  Is there another reason why you all seem to hate private schools?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »

I don't get it.  Private schools are amongst the biggest pet-peeves of the more liberal posters here.  Why do they hate private schools so much?

Personally I think it is because most private schools are of a religious nature and most hardcore liberals hate relgion, especially Christianity.  Liberals would rather have children go to secular public institutions and corrupt their faiths, than let them ave free-choice in schooling.

That's just my opinion though.  Am I wrong liberals?  Is there another reason why you all seem to hate private schools?

No you are quite correct - I object to indoctrination of youth into cults by their tyrannical parents. 
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »

No you are quite correct - I object to indoctrination of youth into cults by their tyrannical parents. 

Ah, so you oppose the existance of public schools....

And yes, i mean it. There are secular cults, you know, and they are very popular at public institutions, especially universities.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 03:40:33 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2005, 06:58:09 AM by opebo »

Actually you do make a good point, and I am skeptical of any extremely biased education.   I would not be for banning private schools, though I fear that those educated within may get a raw deal.  Perhaps some minimal standards would be in order.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 04:23:05 PM »

no, I hate private schools because all of them in Mississippi exist for one reason:  to keep out black people.  The racist people who go to them are so arrogant also.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 04:24:26 PM »

I agree with some of what your saying.  I personally believe some christian beliefs should be taught in the public school system.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 05:06:39 PM »

no, I hate private schools because all of them in Mississippi exist for one reason:  to keep out black people.  The racist people who go to them are so arrogant also.

Even if that statement was true, that does not reflect the nature of all private schools. You just hate the racist ones - prejudiced blanket statements will get you nowhere.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 05:38:02 PM »

well...........

at least you're honest.........

Why do you hate Christians so much, Opebo?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 05:39:32 PM »

I personally don't care about private schools.  If people want to send their kids to a private school, that's their business.  They should have that choice.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 09:27:20 PM »

Funny, but up here that's the purpose of suburban public schools....regional differences I guess.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 09:39:42 PM »

Funny, but up here that's the purpose of suburban public schools....regional differences I guess.

There is much more racial interaction between Southern Whites and Blacks than in the North. But the deliemma occurs when the blacks rise up in society.
Cashcow

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 09:55:16 PM »

We must not live in the same North.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 09:57:33 PM »

Well since I'm a Christian, you're obviously wrong.

I'm against private schools since they lead to inequality of opportunity, since people who can afford them stay ahead because lots of places seem to have this delusion private schools are better and it looks better on a resume. It's another form of class repression. Plus they usually have uniforms.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 10:04:37 PM »

Dazzleman is correct.  Here on Long Island Catholic schools are usually much more integrated than public schools because most LI communities are segregated.  Cathjolic schools take in people from a wide range of areas and neighborhoods and are thus more diverse racially and economically than most public schools.  Out of the hundreds of communities in Nassau county only a handful are mixed.  My catholic high school was probably 75-25 white-black which is close to the actual ration in Nassau. Of course the school was not representative of the high Jewish population in Long Island for obvious reason. Although I did have a Jewish friend whose little brother went to Catholic school- go figure
Cashcow

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 10:07:02 PM »

I can imagine that being true in the NYC suburbs, but it's not quite the same down here near Camden city. You can find very successful and integrated schools in towns like Pennsauken, but the private schools in and around Camden really exist just to separate the few wealthy whites from the thousands of poor blacks and hispanics. Detroit was very similar.

However, I am not at all opposed to private schools.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 10:09:19 PM »

Dazzleman is correct.  Here on Long Island Catholic schools are usually much more integrated than public schools because most LI communities are segregated.  Cathjolic schools take in people from a wide range of areas and neighborhoods and are thus more diverse racially and economically than most public schools.  Out of the hundreds of communities in Nassau county only a handful are mixed.  My catholic high school was probably 75-25 white-black which is close to the actual ration in Nassau. Of course the school was not representative of the high Jewish population in Long Island for obvious reason. Although I did have a Jewish friend whose little brother went to Catholic school- go figure

patrick1, I have observed the same thing near me with Catholic schools.  Because they are not limited to a single community, they have a far greater degree of ethnic and racial diversity than public schools.

The public schools in my town are LILY white, because the town is.  That is the pattern around here.  The suburban towns are almost fully white, and the schools reflect that.  Meanwhile, the cities are a mix of white and other races, but very few whites who live there send their kids to public school, so the public schools are almost completely non-white.

Only in Catholic schools do the races really mix to any appreciable degree in most parts of the northeast.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 10:38:43 PM »

Here's the simple answer: Because many private schools simply suck.

You wanted an honest answer, so there ya have it.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »

Well, then I guess Mississippi is no different from Kentucky in that regard.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 10:47:18 PM »

Here's the simple answer: Because many private schools simply suck.

You wanted an honest answer, so there ya have it.

Curious are most of the schools you refer to just private or parochial as well.   Above comment is not very informative.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 10:49:22 PM »

Curious are most of the schools you refer to just private or parochial as well.   Above comment is not very informative.

I guess some of the ones I'm referring to are parochial, as in parish-run.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 10:52:07 PM »

I guess some of the ones I'm referring to are parochial, as in parish-run.

I didn't think there were enough Catholics down there.  I know Lousiville has a sizeable enough community.  I went to Catholic schools my whole life and have no complaints.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 12:50:17 AM »

wow, you have no complaints about having to wear stupid uniforms and being told how evil masturbation is at school?

and of course, there's something many Catholic schools do which is in my view the single worst thing any school can do: segregate by gender.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 07:00:46 AM »

well...........

at least you're honest.........

Why do you hate Christians so much, Opebo?

Mostly because their political goals are to ban much of what I find fun, or to retain bans that already exist against various hedonistic activities.  I don't like intolerants interesting themselves in my business.

Secondarily I think religious faith is rather stupid, but that's really none of my business.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 07:03:35 AM »

Teachers are generally Democratic, partisan hacks, so ultraliberals naturally oppose private schools.

All forms of Social Studies are generally Democratic indoctrination classes.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 07:06:24 AM »

I don't like intolerants interesting themselves in my business.

You seem okay inserting yourself into these so-called intolerants' business, with your opposition to people being able to teach their own children.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies