Huckabee: It's important to be chivalrous when you run against a woman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:03:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Huckabee: It's important to be chivalrous when you run against a woman
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huckabee: It's important to be chivalrous when you run against a woman  (Read 1036 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116921/mike-huckabee-would-rather-eat-glass-campaign-president

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »

In before SEXISM!!!1
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »

Huckabee knows how to put his foot in his mouth.  He's not entirely wrong, however.  There are more female voters than male voters, and few of either take kindly to a male candidate being overly aggressive toward a woman.  "Don't hit girls!" is something that little boys hear growing up, even now.  There is something subconscious, I believe, that is affected when a loutish male goes out of bounds to tear down a female opponent. 
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »

Meh, it's not the worst thing he could have said and one of the less awful aspects of social conservatism.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:04:13 AM »

Actually, this is probably one of the few smart things he has said recently.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:44:46 AM »

Feet - It's what for dinner!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »

On the whole, women who have achieved rarely achieved the Highest Office in the Land, whether through inheritance or through free election, have proved astute and competent leaders. None, so far as I can tell, has ever achieved power through a military coup -- which may rule out some extremely pathological types. Women who have exercised power as tyrants' molls (Jezebel, Poppaea, Lucretia Borgia, Alexandra of Russia, Magda Goebbels, Eva Peron, Tran Le Xuong [Madame Nhu], Chiang Ching [Madame Mao], Imelda Marcos, Elena Ceausescu, and Sajida Hussein) have been awful... but Hillary Clinton will not have achieved power as the wife of a tyrant, so that is not relevant in 2016.

I'll give you Isabel Peron and Gloria Macapagal as troublesome leaders of the female gender, and recognize that Cleopatra might be as bad as the biased Roman sources -- but in a heritage of extreme male chauvinism Empress Jingo is well respected in Japan. Catherine the Great might be unpopular in Poland -- but she is still recognized as one of the greatest of rulers of Russia. Elizabeth I of England... may have saved England from becoming a puppet state of Spain. Queen Victoria shared power with some excellent Prime Ministers, but did so very well. Does anyone have problems with Corazon Aquino? Angela Merkel? Golda Meir? Indira Gandhi? One might disagree with the economic policies of Margaret Thatcher...

Testosterone is hardly a necessity for effective leadership. Many of the pathologies of government relate to pathological aggression, a very male tendency.  

Women are as smart and rational as men. Maybe in modern times we don't need the itchy trigger finger close to the button that can start a nuclear exchange.        
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2014, 04:03:13 AM by eric82oslo »

Was Eva Peron awful? If you ask Argentinians of today, I'm sure 98% of them will disagree strongly with that statement. Peronismo is still the main political sentiment of the country and Evita is hailed as the "Civilian Maria" as a famous history book on Latin American history tells it. She also famously introduced female suffrage in the country, or at least introduced it to her country fellows/women in a big radio speech. She sold the idea, although not having any formal power of course.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »

Was Eva Peron awful? If you ask Argentinians of today, I'm sure 98% of them will disagree strongly with that statement.

LOL, hardly.

I don't know what poll have you been reading but while she would probably get a majority approval it's nowhere near 98%. You have to remember that about 40% of the country is virulently anti-peronist.

And Isabel Peron would be lucky if she had a positive opinion of 5% or something Tongue
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »

Eh, I consider myself a pretty chivalrous person (yes, liberals can be chivalrous). Not because I am sexist, but because I like showing respect to people. This, however, is over the top. Especially the "pedestal" part.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »

Are you seriously suggesting that this isn't sexist?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »

Oh no! Mike Huckabee holds open doors for women? Sexist, fascist, chauvinist, misogynistic, somethingelseist pig!

But seriously, all that this proves is that Mr. Huckabee is a gentleman. That, in my opinion, is a rather good thing.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »

Oh no! Mike Huckabee holds open doors for women? Sexist, fascist, chauvinist, misogynistic, somethingelseist pig!

But seriously, all that this proves is that Mr. Huckabee is a gentleman. That, in my opinion, is a rather good thing.

Who's saying that?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies