Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:59:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556651 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: July 29, 2011, 02:09:11 AM »

Abortion: Pro-choice with minimal restrictions. We should focus on reducing the number of abortions performed by investment in young mothers and our health care system, rather than trying to stamp out abortion with a doomed-to-fail prohibitory policy.

Marriage/Family: Same-sex marriage ought to be legal.

Civil Liberties: Status quo.

Guns: Status quo.

Religion: Status quo.

Foreign policy: Realism tempered with liberalism. End the ongoing conflicts in Afghanistan and in Libya, and reduce American military commitments abroad.

Economics: Realist trade policy combined with a national industrial policy, heavy Keynesian stimulation of the economy, and universal social insurance programs.

Healthcare: Medicare should be expanded to the whole of the population.

Energy: Massive investment in nuclear power and expansion of drilling for oil and natural gas in non-protected areas. TVA-style arrangements to harness hydroelectric power. Make clean energy cheap rather than making dirty energy expensive. No Cap and Trade, no Carbon Tax.

Taxes: Close loopholes, increase progressivity.

Education: Greater emphasis on vocational education for those who shouldn't go to college and who simply don't want to. Increase power of teachers' unions to help with policymaking, end the use of charter schools and vouchers. Abolish tuition at public universities and ban any private educational institution from operating as anything other than a non-profit.

Crime: End use of the death penalty. Reform the prison system to focus on rehabilitation and teach prisoners trades.

Euthanasia: Legalize.

Freedom of Speech: Status quo.

Immigration: Regional points-based system.

Minimum wage: Increase to $10 an hour.

Voting system: FPTP with IRV.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:57:21 AM »

Wow a Democrat from Kentucky. Wink  Welcome to the forum TNF

Thanks! We're actually the majority here. I'm just an out-and-out liberal while most of my fellow Kentucky Democrats are socially conservative economic populists.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »

Abortion:I am Strongly Pro-Life. Ban in all cases Abortion is evil and wrong. Period.

Death Penalty:Support.

Drugs:Oppose Legalization.

Taxes:15% Flat Tax rate.

Healthcare:Support a Single Payer Universal Healthcare system.

Labor Unions:Strongly Support repeal all Anti-Union busting laws.

Gay Rights:Support Gay Marriage.

NSA:Strongly increase funding for NSA. Colonize Mars.

Free Trade:STRONGLY Oppose end all Trade with China and make JOBS IN AMERICA.

Illegal Immigration:STRONGLY Oppose deport all 12million Illegal Immigrants and cut the number of legal immigrants coming here in half.

Social Security:Support partial privatization only if Negative income is installed.

Welfare:Abolish, replace with Minimum income.

I will update more later.

Hey look, it's Vegetaboi.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2012, 09:53:47 AM by TNF »

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-choice.
Drugs: End the War on Drugs, legalize Cannabis, and adopt harm reduction strategies to combat drug abuse.
Censorship: The FCC should stick to regulating ownership of media, not media content.
Gay marriage: Support legal equality for gay Americans.
Death penalty: End use of the death penalty.
Prostitution: Safe, legal, and regulated. License prostitutes and require regular checkups and the wearing of condoms by those who frequent prostitutes.
Church & state: Status quo.
Affirmative action: Ban outright. Racial preference policies are racist, but they are not the only form of Affirmative Action that should be banned -- legacy preferences for the rich should also be completely banned.
Hate crime laws: Status quo.
Immigration: One-time only path to citizenship for illegal immigrants already in the country and the adoption of a skills-based, points system for future immigrants. Tighten border security and shut down businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants, as well as massively fine individuals that do so.
Stem cell research: Status quo. (Is this really even an issue anymore?)
PATRIOT Act: Repeal the PATRIOT Act, as well as the indefinite detention provision of the NDAA.
Gun Control: It should be as hard to get a gun as it is to get a car. I.E. not extremely difficult, but you should have to jump through enough hoops that most people who get them are proven to be of sound mind and know how to use a gun.
Assisted suicide: Allow it provided the person in question is not pressured into doing it.
Gambling: Mixed. Allow legal gambling, but keep it highly regulated.

Electoral Reform:
Term limits: Repeal the 22nd Amendment, but end lifetime tenure for federal judges, replacing it with a single, nonrenewable twenty year term.
Statehood: Admit Puerto Rico as a state.
Voting age: Lower to 16.
Campaign Finance Reform: Amend the Constitution to overturn Citizens United. Ban paid political advertising, period.
Voting system: Abolish the Electoral College, elect the President via IRV. Elect the House by proportional representation.
Gerrymandering: End gerrymandering by electing the House by proportional representation.
Voter ID: Ban Voter ID requirements. Automatically register everyone aged sixteen and up to vote and conduct most elections by mail.

Economic Issues:
Welfare: Repeal Clinton's welfare reform bill.
Unions: Repeal Taft-Hartley, Landrum-Griffin, the Hatch Act, and all so-called "right-to-work" laws. Enact the Employee Free Choice Act asap.
Privatization: Do the opposite in most cases. Nationalize utilities and the energy industry, as well as establish a national banking system (basically the Fed on steroids), nationalize the Ivy League and establish federal standards for education (as well as fund all education from pre-K to Grad School) based on merit, not ability to pay.
Environment: Balance with economic concerns. I'm a conservationist, not an environmentalist.
Minimum wage: Should always be half the median national wage, and indexed to wage growth.
Taxation: Establish a more progressive tax scheme and implement a VAT.
Healthcare: Medicare-for-All encompassing all kinds of health care (dental, mental, etc) and covering the costs of all prescription drugs.
Trade: Establish a system of "social tariffs" that tax companies that make products overseas, and establish a VAT to protect American manufacturing. Renegotiate existing "Free Trade" agreements and work to develop a fairer set of laws governing trade at the WTO.
Embargo: Bring Cuba back into the global community by ending our trade embargo there. Keep current arms embargoes on hostile states, however.
Pork: Status quo.
Subsidies: Case-by-case basis. Eliminate farm subsidies and put the money that was going in that direction towards the production of in vitro foodstuffs. Aid manufacturing where possible and end subsidies that are counterproductive, such as the wage subsidy that is the EITC (which encourages low wage employment).
Military: Reduce overall military spending to pre-War on Terror levels and significantly cut ground forces (especially the Marines, because why have two ground armies in the form of the Army and the Marines) and automate as much as possible (replace pretty much all fighter pilots with drones), establish a United States Space Forces and a United States Cyberwarfare Force to deal with future threats, and ramp up research and development in Space fighting and Cyber war technology to help us gain an edge over the competition.

Foreign Policy
War: War should be undertaken only when the United States or one of its allies are directly attacked or when a violation of international law (such as an aggressive action by a state against another, or genocide) takes place. I am completely opposed to the idea of pre-emptive war.
Israel-Palestine: Support Palestinian statehood and treating Israel the same way we would treat any other ally.
Draft: No draft now but require draft registration for males and females.
UN: The UN is a tool for peace and progress in the world and the US should remain a vital player at the United Nations, and pay back the dues we owe the organization that the isolationists in Congress decided not to pay in the 1990s.
Nukes: New START was a step-forward, but we need to make further cuts in our nuclear arsenal provided that Russia does the same. Probably somewhere around 150-300 nuclear weapons is enough to serve as a deterrent.  

Overall: Socially progressive, economic liberal, foreign policy realist.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 01:08:33 AM »

^ someone seems to be trying to create a troll that is everything Oldies imagines the Democratic Party to be, except also socially conservative. My money is on it being yet another sockpuppet of Vegetaboi's.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »

^ someone seems to be trying to create a troll that is everything Oldies imagines the Democratic Party to be, except also socially conservative. My money is on it being yet another sockpuppet of Vegetaboi's.

@TNF I am not sure what you mean. I am Hillbilly32 & I am a southern confederate populist democrat.

No, you're quite obviously a troll, and more likely a sock puppet.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »

used to support support sending criminals to alaska or siberia

That's um, interesting.

Yeah I used to see it as a alternative to capital punishment but now I dont since I favor it.

Why Alaska of all places?

It's the closest thing we have to Siberia?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:13:29 PM »

My views.

Abortion:Should be illegal all cases period. Even if the woman is raped or in the life of the mother. 100% banded.

Gay Rights:Oppose gay marriage. Favor domestic partnerships.

Capital Punishment:Strongly support expand usage.

Healthcare:Strongly Oppose universal healthcare or anyform of socialized medicine. Repeal Obamacare.

Taxes:Support a simple clean Flat tax Rate of 15%. Never raise taxes under any circumstances.

Social Security:Abolish.

Military:Increase funding to massive amounts. We treat our soilders like sh**t they make less then 50,000 per year. Raise there salary to 300,000 and raise the military budget to 990billion.

Welcome back, Vegetaboi!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »

1. The right to individual autonomy is important, even if it threatens collective security. (Neutral)
2. The government should penalize organizations that practice outsourcing. (Agree)*
3. Giving faith-based charities the same government resources as secular organizations is a good idea. (Disagree)
4. We should increase foreign aid to countries struggling with poverty. (Neutral) [1]
5. We should increase funding for education. (Agree)*

6. Heterosexual couples should receive higher marital recognition than same-sex couples. (Disagree)
7. Overall, free trade hurts more than it helps. (Agree)*
8. We should reduce the number of government programs substantially. (Disagree)*
9. Abortion should be illegal or very heavily restricted. (Disagree)
10. The government should fund museums, theaters, and other cultural institutions that are unable to survive independently. (Agree)

11. The government should subsidize health insurance for those who cannot easily afford it. (Agree)*
12. The government should work to reduce children's exposure to offensive radio and television content. (Neutral) [2]
13. It is unfair that wealthier people pay higher tax rates. (Disagree)*
14. The minimum wage should be raised. (Agree)*
15. Marijuana should be legalized. (Agree)

16. Society focuses too much on forcing equality at the expense of real merit. (Neutral) [3]
17. Violating individual rights is acceptable when it comes to fighting terrorism. (Neutral)
18. Current levels of government regulation on industry are excessive. (Disagree)*
19. The government should provide basic needs for all people. (Agree)*
20. The death penalty should be an option for serious crimes. (Disagree)
21. We should reduce the difficulty of immigration. (Disagree)* [4]

22. Union workers should be protected against being fired during strikes. (Agree)*
23. Prostitution should be legalized. (Agree)
24. Flag burning should be banned. (Disagree)
25. I support affirmative action. (Disagree)*
26. The government should impose tariffs to protect industries from foreign competition. (Agree)*
27. Physician-assisted suicide should be legal if the patient is capable of informed, rational consent. (Agree)

[1] Is it in our foreign policy interest? If so, then I'd agree with increasing foreign aid. If not, then disagree.

[2] Give TV, Film, and Videogames the same freedom as publishers. I wouldn't necessarily oppose restricting content unsuitable for children to certain timeframes, though.

[3] Don't know what this means.

[4] I'm opposed to the current system, but I would like to admit less immigrants under a stricter criteria.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »

Domestic Issues

Labor Relations: I support the immediate passage of the Employee Free Choice Act, as well as efforts currently being made to make labor organizing a civil right. I oppose attacks on labor unions at the state and local levels, and support amending the National Labor Relations Act to protect the right of public sector, domestic, agricultural, and supervisory workers to organize and collectively bargain. In addition, I support repealing the Taft-Hartley Act and banning the use of scabs by employers when workers go out on strike. Fundamentally, I believe that labor unions should be involved in tripartite economic planning involving business and government, and support requiring labor representation on corporate boards.

Labor Standards: I support the passage of the Paycheck Fairness Act and the implementation of a nationwide wage theft law modeled on Chicago's wage theft ordinance. Furthermore, I support expanding coverage of overtime pay to all wage earners in the country, while also requiring time-and-a-half be paid to any employee that works on the weekend and double-time paid to any employee that works a federal holiday. I support mandating paid vacations, paid sick leave, paid parental leave, and paid long service leave. I favor linking the minimum wage to productivity, with increases implemented as worker productivity rises. I also favor the gradual implementation of a 30 hour workweek with no loss in pay.

Taxes: I support a more progressive income tax structure that taxes capital gains at the same rate as regular income, closing tax loopholes that encourage offshoring (among others), and increases the corporate tax rate. I further support allowing the IRS to pre-fill tax returns, cracking down on individual and corporate tax dodgers, and linking the threshold at which the highest income tax bracket kicks in (ideally something like 78% as a top rate) at 30 times the rate of a two person household working full time at minimum wage (i.e. at the current minimum wage rate, that 78% top rate would be applied to all income over $904,800). I favor ending the tax exemption for churches and tax free foundations.

Immigration: I support ending the 'family reunification' bias inherent in American immigration law and instead support the implementation of a points-based, skills-based system that will admit more highly skilled immigrants in crucial sectors. I support a path to citizenship for the millions of undocumented workers already in the country, as well as support the implementation of the DREAM Act. I support tough penalties for employers that knowingly hire undocumented workers, as well as the implementation of the E-Verify system nationwide to prevent the future hiring of undocumented workers. I also support increased funding for ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) programs, for reasons Frodo noted above.

Elementary and Secondary Education: I support full federal funding for public schooling and a ban on both homeschooling and private schools, with students being sent to schools based upon a random lottery of local schools, rather than designated arbitrarily by school district lines. I oppose the use of merit pay, efforts to undermine teachers' unions, and efforts to eliminate teacher tenure. I favor an explicit ban on charter schools and voucher programs, and favor adopting the basic tenants of the Finnish education system in the United States. I support paying teachers as well as we pay lawyers and doctors, and support reducing class sizes to a 15:1 ratio. I support divorcing school from sport and support more funds being spent on the arts and social studies, as well as more funding for school clubs and student organizations.

More to come later.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:47:15 PM »

Domestic Issues

Abortion: Abortion should be totally legal at any stage of pregnancy. A woman should be able to end a pregnancy with the least interference possible from the state, and access to abortion should be free of charge. I oppose parental notification laws, mandated waiting periods, required ultrasounds, counseling, and any and all attempts to criminalize abortion through the backdoor. Ultimately, we should focus on reducing the number of abortions performed by expanding access to health care, child care, education, and birth control.

Same-sex marriage: We should stop linking fundamental human rights to an institution with a 50% failure rate. Tax incentives given with marriage should be abolished or de-linked from marriage itself, and individuals should be free to marry or cohabit with whom and with how many people they see fit, provided that there is no coercion involved.

Drug legalization: Soft drugs should be made legal, legal smoking/drinking ages substituted for legal purchase ages (ideally lower than what currently exists), and hard drugs heavily regulated with drug maintenance programs, harm reduction strategies, etc.

Prostitution: Sex work should be taxed, legal, and regulated.

Guns: Status quo.

Education: National curriculum developed with the aid of teachers' unions and parents, an end to most standardized testing, class size limitations, equal funding from the federal government, universal pre-k and universal access to higher education. Ban on private schooling and homeschooling.

Stem Cell Research: Status quo.

Euthanasia: Legal. If you oppose death with dignity being legal, you're an awful person.

English as the official language: We've done fine without an official language so far. No reason to change horses midstream.

School prayer: Status quo.

Pledge of Allegiance: Shouldn't be required in schools.

Affirmative Action: Class-based rather than race or gender based in the short-term, in the long term, abolition in favor of universal access to higher education.

Trade: Fair Trade, not 'Free Trade'.

Health Care: Move towards single-payer, obvi.

Welfare: Repeal 'Welfare Reform,' make the existing benefit scheme more generous, and institute a universal basic income.

Minimum Wage: Raise to $22 gradually and index to increases in worker productivity.

Monetary Policy: Pragmatic, but favorable towards a weaker dollar (to encourage investment in the United States) and a loose monetary policy to promote economic growth. Prioritize full employment above anything else.

Taxes: Close loopholes, return to Eisenhower-era tax rates.

Regulation: Return to pre-Carter regulatory framework. 

Spending Cuts: Cut spending when the economy is growing, not when the economy is shrinking.

Energy: Nationalize the energy sector, heavily expand use of nuclear power, keep prices low for consumers.

Social Security: Remove the payroll tax cap, make the benefits more generous, divert revenues from the general fund into the program, reduce the retirement age to 55.

Unions: Taft-Hartley should be repealed, as should Landrum-Griffin, the Hatch Act, and all existing anti-labor legislation. Enact the Employee Free Choice Act, recognize the right of public, agricultural, and domestic employees to organize, bargain collectively, and strike. Provide for a framework for industry-wide collective bargaining, ban 'right-to-work' laws.

Foreign Policy

PATRIOT ACT: Should be repealed, as should provisions of the 2011 NDAA that provide for indefinite detention. PRISM and associated illegal wiretap programs should be ended, torture banned, and the United States out of Guantanamo.

Afghanistan: Withdraw along Obama's guidelines, negotiate with the Taliban where feasible to prevent continued loss of life.

Cuba: End the Embargo, close Guantanamo Bay prison, and seek normalized relations with Cuba.

Iraq: Status quo.

Israel/Palestine: Recognize Palestinian statehood, cut off all aid to Israel to force the Israelis to the negotiation table, and act as an honest broker in any subsequent negotiations for a peace treaty.

Iran: Status quo.

Syria: Aid for refugees, no arms sales to the combatants.

Military Spending: Automate as much as possible. At the very least, reduce to pre-9/11 levels, with a goal of reducing military spending even further, cut something like 25-50% of the military budget, with most savings coming from automation and cuts in the officer corps, not in rank-and-file soldiers.

Electoral Issues/Government

Voter Regulations/ID Cards: Automatic voter registration for all persons aged 16 and up.

Electoral College: Should be abolished.

Washington D.C.Sad Should be given proper representation in the House and the Senate.

Puerto Rico: The people of Puerto Rico should decide their own future.

Senate: Should be abolished.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 07:56:55 AM »

Ideally, half the Senate would be up every two years.

Shorter terms = more money in politics
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »

So, ElectionsGuy, since you oppose affirmative action on the basis of race or sex or whatever, do you also oppose legacy preferences at universities? Or are you fine and dandy with colleges and universities giving preferential treatment to the children of alumni?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »

Participatory Democracy. In general, democracy is a great thing and should be expanded, but in a way that empowers the working class rather than the owner class. To that end, I support expanding elements of direct democracy where they already exist (participatory budgeting, for example) and establishing them where they do not. This country would be a lot better off were it run by people without shiny degrees from Ivy League schools.

Democratic Socialism. The economy should be democratically planned and managed for the benefit of the nation. I support the unionization of everything, high minimum wages, a crash reindustrialization program, reduction in working hours, and nationalization of most large-scale industry. Make the essentials of life free of charge and challenge market logic at every turn.

Progressive Nationalism. I'll just quote the Young Democratic Socialists of America on this one:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Anti-Elitism. I don't know how much of an explanation this one needs, but I am equally opposed to the elitism of Country Club Conservatives and the Arugula-eating, gun-hating, upper middle class liberal moralists of the coasts.

International Solidarity. Support the Palestinians in their struggle for nationhood, end the global US military and financial empire, and stay the hell out of the internal affairs of other nations. War is a racket and should be avoided; the only instances in which war is permissible is in self defense and if approved by the United Nations Security Council. "Humanitarian intervention" is often a code word for capitalist imperialism, and has been since the 19th Century.

I guess that's that.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »

Social Policy
Abortion: Allow on demand at any stage of pregnancy, with no questions asked, no frivolous restrictions placed upon it by state legislatures and completely free of charge.
Drugs: Legalize 'em.
Censorship: No thank you.
Gay Marriage: End marriage as a civil institution.
Death penalty: No thank you.
Prostitution: Legalize it.
Church and State: Ban religious schools, restrict religion in the public sphere, and tax churches very heavily.
Stem cell research: Support (not living in 2003)
PATRIOT Act: Repeal it.
Gun control: Completely opposed, legalize all guns and require gun training courses in schools. Ideally replace the standing army with citizens' militia, same goes for the police force (assuming we're also abolishing most of the criminal code in favor of a more restitution-oriented kind of criminal code, of course) and nationalize the gun industry. Very strongly supportive of "gun culture" and individual self defense.
Assisted suicide: Legalize it.
Gambling: Nationalize the gambling industry and make it a socially productive activity.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: Dumb, repeal all that exist.
Statehood: For whom? Let the territories decide their own fate, err on the side of independence. Ideally redraw all state boundaries along cultural/geographic/economic lines.
Voting Age: 16, would like to introduce more participatory forms of governance, like mint mentioned above (demarchy is a sweet idea)
Campaign Finance Reform: Ban all corporate donations, end corporate personhood, limit campaigning to two weeks only, completely cover all campaign expenses out of the public treasury so as not to have so many corrupt douchebags in office
Gerrymandering: Adopt proportional representation
Voter ID: End voter registration, let anyone who can make it to the polls vote

Economic Issues
Welfare: Universal basic income + National Healthcare + Universal housing program + Universal Food Stamps + $21 an hour minimum wage + Right to a Job + National Education
Unions: Should essentially run the economy, very very very supportive, abolish all restrictions on them (Taft-Hartley, Landrum-Griffin, Hatch Act, ect), encourage their growth, ban scabs, require union shops and hiring halls, etc
Privatization: Make a U-Turn and start nationalizing large industries
Environment: something something free mass transit something something universal auto insurance something something national parks
Minimum Wage: $21/hour
Taxation: Confiscatory rates on the 1%
Healthcare: NHS style, with the state owning the hospitals; the state should also own all drug companies and produce useful drugs for public consumption
Trade: End "free trade," in favor of an industrial policy focused on employing Americans and creating products that are long lasting and cheap
Embargo: End it
Pork: Ban
Subsidies: Nationalize any institution receiving federal dollars
Military: End standing army in favor of citizen militias, end all overseas activity, bring troops home etc

Foreign Policy
War: Only if the US is attacked/UN Security Council approves it
Israel-Palestine: Recognize Palestine, ignore Israel
Draft: No, but favorable to the idea of universal national service in non-military settings, provided said service pays union wages to those employed by it (and because that's not likely, the answer is emphatically 'no')
UN: Support, make more democratic and weaken the influence of the Security Council
Nukes: Seek international treaty banning or placing them under UN control
Foreign Aid: Cancel all debt owed to the US and leave them alone
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 12:38:36 AM »

How was World War I a remotely justified conflict?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »

How was World War I a remotely justified conflict?
I didn't mean starting it was justified. I meant that I oppose intervention unless the it's a world war, at which point it becomes almost unavoidable.

We managed to avoid it for three years in the early part of the last century, for good reason.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »

Would a citizen's militia even be practicable? The way military technology is moving, the future is increasingly a small cadre of highly trained professionals not a massive civic army. Not to mention that despite what the NRA says, the militia in the American Revolution had pretty mediocre performance compared to the Continentals.

The point is to avoid war; in the event of an actual war where the U.S. is attacked, there would certainly be a temporary standing army established. But in peacetime, there's really no need for a standing, national army. Jefferson was absolutely correct about how dangerous standing armies are.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 10:07:26 AM »

Social Policy
Abortion: Allow on demand at any stage of pregnancy, with no questions asked, no frivolous restrictions placed upon it by state legislatures and completely free of charge.
Drugs: Legalize 'em.
Censorship: No thank you.
Gay Marriage: I'm partial to the 'end marriage and give everybody a civil union' school of thought, but I think the time when that might have been a possibility has largely passed, so I'm obviously in favor of marriage equality and am favorable toward the idea of further re-defining marriage and allowing more people to get in on the action (i.e. legalization of group marriage) in years to come.
Death penalty: No thank you.
Prostitution: Legalize it.
Church and State: Ban religious schools, restrict religion in the public sphere, and tax churches proportional to their income.
Stem cell research: Support (not living in 2003)
PATRIOT Act: Repeal it.
Gun control: Completely opposed, legalize all guns and require gun training courses in schools. Ideally replace the standing army with citizens' militia, same goes for the police force (assuming we're also abolishing most of the criminal code in favor of a more restitution-oriented kind of criminal code, of course) and nationalize the gun industry. Very strongly supportive of "gun culture" and individual self defense.
Assisted suicide: Legalize it.
Gambling: Collectivize the gambling industry and make it a socially productive activity.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: I oppose term limits in that they're anti-democratic. A better solution is to implement recall provisions for all elected officials, from members of Congress to the President.
Statehood: For whom? Let the territories decide their own fate, err on the side of independence. Ideally redraw all state boundaries along cultural/geographic/economic lines.
Voting Age: 16.
Campaign Finance Reform: Ban all corporate donations, end corporate personhood, limit campaigning to two weeks only, completely cover all campaign expenses out of the public treasury.
Gerrymandering: Adopt proportional representation for the House of Representatives on the D'hondt method, abolish the Senate.
Voter ID: End voter registration, let anyone who can make it to the polls vote.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Universal basic income + National Healthcare + Universal housing program + $21 an hour minimum wage + Right to a Job + National Education
Unions: Should essentially run the economy, very very very supportive, abolish all restrictions on them (Taft-Hartley, Landrum-Griffin, Hatch Act, ect), encourage their growth, ban scabs, require union shops and hiring halls, etc. Collectivize industry and allow unions to manage it wherever industry is collectivized.
Privatization: Make a U-Turn and start collectivizing large industries, with vital sectors divided between state owners and worker owners. Eventually stamp out private enterprise altogether and transform the economy into a worker-owned and managed democratic enterprise. (i.e. socialism)
Environment: something something free mass transit something something universal auto insurance something something national parks
Minimum Wage: $21/hour
Taxation: Land Value Tax pls
Healthcare: NHS style, with the state owning the hospitals and allowing Nurses and Doctors' unions to manage them; the state should also own all drug companies and produce useful drugs for public consumption
Trade: End "free trade," in favor of an industrial policy focused on employing Americans and creating products that are long lasting and cheap. Collectivize factories left here by ungrateful corporations and let workers own and manage them.
Embargo: End it, recognize the Castro government and make amends to build a better relationship in Latin America.
Pork: Ban
Subsidies: Nationalize/collectivize any institution receiving federal dollars
Military: End standing army in favor of citizen militias, end all overseas activity, bring troops home etc

Foreign Policy
War: Only if the US is attacked
Israel-Palestine: Recognize Palestine, ignore Israel
Draft: No, but favorable to the idea of universal national service in non-military settings, provided said service pays union wages to those employed by it (and because that's not likely, the answer is emphatically 'no')
UN: Support, make more democratic and weaken the influence of the Security Council
Nukes: Seek international treaty banning or placing them under UN control
Foreign Aid: Cancel all debt owed to the US and leave them alone
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:11 PM »

Actually, I believe that life begins at conception, because it's honestly kind of bizarre to argue otherwise. I just don't place an overwhelming priority on PRESERVING LIFE AT ALL COSTS that a lot of folks do. In my mind, however, the rights of the mother, as the carrier of the child, outweigh the rights of the unborn child and she should have full bodily autonomy until that child is born.

No sane advocate of self defense would permit so-called Stand Your Ground laws. Those go against the very spirit of self defense. When I say 'abolishing most of the criminal code', I mostly mean eliminating the causes of crime, gutting laws against victimless crimes, and changing our punishment system so that prisons are replaced by something more humane. I am definitely a prison abolitionist and support the end of the prison system as it currently exists. I don't think that a society that teaches children to use guns from a young age and make sure that said weaponry is properly maintained and taken care of is going to run into those kinds of problems. Plus, assuming want was eliminated, you wouldn't have the vast majority of crime, which involves property.

I support abolishing citizenship as a concept.

I favor a syndicalist economy, broadly speaking. Unions should be the basic economic unit of the economy and should hash out what the economy will look like, acting through workers' councils to plan production and distribution of goods. So long as internal union democracy is maintained, I have literally no problem with transferring the whole of private property and industry over to the workers themselves, acting through their unions.

South Korea is a big boy. It can defend itself. So long as the U.S. has commitments to South Korea, I would support honoring those commitments, but in the meantime I would like the U.S. to sever those commitments and let the South Koreans defend themselves. In the event of a Second Korean War I would hope that the U.S. would enact some kind of aid package to South Korea, with no strings attached, though of course I'm not naive enough to actually think the U.S. would do so without significant 'concessions' in the form of South Korean capital destroying unions, privatizing decision-making, etc.

No religious displays on public land, mostly.

Definitely. In fact, voting would be as easy as possible, with multiple ways of doing it, from voting online (on extremely secure servers) to postal voting to absentee voting. I'd like to see elections moved to the weekend, starting on Friday and ending on Monday.

Nah, I was mostly referring to private religious schools for persons under 18.

See above on the second part.

One would assume that if they've been there once before a poll worker might notice? If not, I'm sure there'd be a way of writing down a name once you got in and voted, just for record-keeping purposes.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »

Destroy capitalism.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?

Sounds like Leninism to me.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

And the award for delusional position of the century goes to...

Social Policy:
Abortion: Legal up to 24 weeks on demand. Legal after that in cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's life is in danger. Sex education in schools. Free birth control. Discourage people from having children they can't afford.
Same Sex Marriage: Legalize it nationwide.
Drugs: Legalize and regulate marijuana. Decriminalize use of other drugs but make their manufacture and sale illegal.
Stem Cell Research: The government should fund fetal stem cell research using unused embryos from IVF treatments (as long as IVF is still legal, which it shouldn't be)
Death Penalty: Only for serious crimes, multiple murders, etc.
Gun control: Weird position. Repeal second amendment but don't ban guns. Guns should be a privilege, not a right.
Affirmative Action: End affirmative action. I'm open to reparations for those still living who were excluded from the original Social Security program (mostly minorities) and for those put in jail for non-violent drug offenses (largely minorities)
Prostitution: Legalize and regular. Prostitution isn't particularly more dehumanizing than cleaning toilets and it pays much much better.
Euthanasia: Legalize for adults who can get cleared by a psychologist.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Minimum wage should be $15
Welfare: Everyone should get a guaranteed minimum income of about $1000 a month. Everyone. If they work, they get their pay on top of the $1000.
Right-to-Work: I'm for right to work. Most unions are pretty crappy, also, I think unions are a little too libertarian-y for my taste. The state should ensure people are paid a fair wage for their work, they shouldn't have to fight for it.
Taxation: Tax the rich more. Even if you take a billionaire 75% he will still have more money than he could spend in his life.
Healthcare: Socialized medical and dental. Also take over medical schools. Free tuition to anyone smart enough to pass.
Social Security: Unnecessary under my plan because everyone's getting the free money already.
Trade: Free trade only with nations with an roughly comparable standard of living and who agree to an international minimum wage.                      
Education: National curriculum.  Free college to those smart enough to be admitted.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Balancing the budget has no real benefit other than allowing right-wing politicians to brag.

Foreign Policy and National Security
Afghanistan: The invasion was justified but we should get out now. Back as secular of a dictator as we can find.
Iraq: The invasion was unjustified. Back as secular of a dictator as we can find.
Iran: Talk to them but don't be super friendly.
Syria: Stay out of it for the most part. Encourage the secular opposition to make a deal with the government.
Cuba: Normalize relations.
Military Spending: Cut extremely. Get rid of all bases in Europe.
PATRIOT Act: Mostly fine. If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't be scared. The state has no interest in harassing innocent people.
NSA Spying: Same as PATRIOT Act.
Palestine: Mostly horrible people but you can't kill them so I guess just try to encourage moderation, however fruitless it might be.
Israel: The two state solution is dead. One state will happen sooner or later. Hopefully Arab moderates + Jewish moderates can outmaneuver the divided theocrats.
Immigration: I'm for immigration as long as the immigrants are smart and culturally liberal. As of right now, most of the people we get are semi-literate and only qualified to clean toilets. All they do is drive down wages and tax the welfare system. They don't even improve their own lives that much.
Guantanamo Bay: I'm fine with torture as long as we're sure the people are guilty. I'm sure we accidentally rounded up some Afghan turd farmers, which is unfortunate.

Environment
Climate Change: Pollution is bad.
Green Energy: Pollution is bad.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Jobs aren't worth it.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Get rid of it. I don't even mind that it's elitist (I'm elitist), it's just that at this point, it's basically random. People no longer vote based on how large their state is (if they ever did at all) so it's outlived it's purpose.
Gerrymandering: PR
Term limits: Anti-democratic.
Voter ID: Yes as long as we have free national ID cards.
Compulsory Voting: No strong feelings. How about make it mandatory but have no punishment for not doing it?
Voter Registration: Voter registration should be automatic.
Statehood: DC should be a state. Puerto Rico should either be independent or a state, none of this both ways crap. If they want to become a state though, their school system has to start teaching primarily in English. If you want to be part of a country, you have to be able to communicate with most people in that country.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2014, 11:32:12 AM by Senator TNF »

Abortion: Allow on demand at any stage of pregnancy, with no questions asked, no frivolous restrictions placed upon it and completely free of charge. I do think that reducing the number of abortions performed is a worthwhile goal, however, and as such I think that access to birth control and contraception be made complete free of charge (and widely distributed), a national day care program established, paid parental and sick leave established, and stipends for stay at home parents.
Drugs: The War on Drugs is a complete failure. Legalize cannabis, psilocybin muhrooms, dimethylytyptamine (DMT), lsysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), MDMA, and mescaline and set the legal purchase age at 16. End imprisonment for all persons currently incarcerated for non-violent drug offenses and use the savings from doing so to create a robust rehabilitation regime for those addicted to the hard stuff. Bring the whole pharmaceutical sector (and the existing recreational drug sector) under the control of a state monopoly and use this state monopoly to control the production of and the flow of drugs, with the intent of eventually phasing out the production of the most harmful substances to human health and wiping out extremely addictive, dangerous substances. Ban drug advertising. Lower the drinking age (and the smoking age) to 16, and repeal existing laws that prevent public intoxication and drinking on public transit.
Censorship: Censorship often does far more harm than it does good and too often conforms to the biases of the censor. I for one think that it's ridiculous that event a hint of nudity gets a program an 'R' or 'TV-MA' rating or banishes it to the wee hours of the morning when extremely violent programs are given laxer ratings in the same context. I oppose all prudery and censorship that represses human sexuality, because doing so is in part responsible for a whole host of ills and limits the right to self-expression. I think that sex and nudity are things that should be normalized, because they are completely and totally normal human activities. To that extent I favor ending television restrictions on broadcasting nudity or sex, ending purchase age requirements for pornographic material, and support sex positive sexual education in schools, that is, normalizing sexuality instead of making it something dirty or repressing it. End radio and television bans on profanity, sexuality, discussion of or onscreen/on air drug use, and nudity.  
Marriage: Same-sex marriage should be made fully legal where it is not legal already, as should polyamorous marriages. We should end financial support of the two-parent nuclear family via the tax code and public propaganda campaign and instead embrace an emerging conception of an alternative family structure, which could include as many or as few persons as those involved like.
Capital Punishment: I oppose capital punishment and likewise oppose life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. I think that Norweigan sentencing laws (which cap the amount of time a person can be incarcerated) are extremely progressive and something that would be worth looking into implementing here in the states.
Sex Work: Legalize sex work and give a large degree of control over the newly legalized sector to sex workers themselves. Some regulation will undoubtedly be required (in the interest of public health) but minimize it where possible to promote worker self-management. Allow for the establishment of co-operative brothels by sex workers, and vigorously prosecute those who abuse or seek to enslave or otherwise take advantage of sex workers.
Church and State: I strongly support restricting religious displays in public spaces and eliminating religious influence in government and public life as a whole. Religious schools and homeschooling should be banned entirely, religious institutions should be taxed, all references to "God" should be removed from official documents of the United States government (and all streets or buildings named after religious figures renamed), religious displays on public property should be banned (as should the posting of the Ten Commandments anywhere on public property), circumcision (both male and female) should be banned entirely, and schools should be held accountable if they proselytize in the classroom or hold prayers before or after any kind of school-wide event. In an ideal world, we'd also drop the Christian calendar in favor of the French Revolutionary calendar, but unfortunately I think that's even less likely than everything else I've proposed thus far.
Scientific research: The state should fund a hell of a lot more scientific research than it currently does. We need long term, heavy commitments to research and development. I want to see American space colonies, American lunar colonies, and American Mars colonies before I die. I want supersonic, automated planes that can get you from New York to Los Angeles in 45 minutes. I want a national high speed rail network. We can do all these things, we just have to invest in them. And I think we should and that we should be the world leader in all things scientific.
Surveillance programs: End them and move to restrict the amount of surveillance that is being conducted on every single one of us by the private sector every single day. Heavily restrict advertising (limit it to trade journals), stop keeping files on private citizens who have never committed a crime, end the use of background checks except in a few sectors (i.e. it would still be good to run background checks to prevent child molesters from becoming preschool teachers), ban drug testing, etc. On the whole the surveillance state needs to be smashed, and it's appendages utterly crushed.
Gun control: Gun sales should be perfectly legal for all persons over the age of 16. We should teach gun safety from a young age (no one should be able to graduate high school without having passed a gun safety course) and encourage everyone to own a gun and be responsible for his or her own self-defense. I strongly support efforts to expand gun ownership, although there are some new manifestations of this that I think are psychotic (the so-called 'Castle Doctrine' and 'Stand Your Ground' laws) and counterproductive. I believe that the armaments industry (including the whole of the defense sector) should be nationalized and used to produce stable, safe, and reliable weaponry for the masses.  
Assisted suicide: There's literally no reason not to legalize it. If you oppose legalizing it, you're an awful person. End of story. Persons in ill health or in old age should be able to peacefully end their lives if they so choose, without interference from the state. On this same token, I don't necessarily view so-called "active" euthanasia as a bad thing, at least when it comes to persons that are obviously not capable of making decisions for themselves or are simply unable to function otherwise. The Groningen Protocol of the Netherlands is, I think, a fairly progressive leap forward in this regard, and I would say that this is something we should implement here, as well.
Gambling: This is one sector that would be better off under state control, since the sector often serves as a front for organized crime and it also often leads to a whole host of social ills. But what would a nationalized gambling sector look like? Well I think that, for starters, if you're going to have organized gambling, it should be used in such a way that it promotes positive social development, rather than utterly negative social degeneration, which is what capitalist gambling enterprises ultimately do. The lottery could be converted, for example, into a system whereby a ticket purchased corresponds with a treasury bond, and thus has a value that can be cashed in either immediately or over a period of time, providing not only an avenue for the United States to engage in fiscal expansion when necessary, but also providing the average person with something more meaningful than a $2 scratch-off card in which you win literally nothing. Casinos and the like could be used to generate revenue for a state education program, or could be used to fund programs for gambling addicts, or used to acquire other industrial sectors, which could pave the way out of capitalism in the first place. I'm not sure. Like I said, this is one of the tougher ones for me, I'm not really sure how best to go about it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2014, 01:26:23 PM by Senator TNF »

Term Limits: All public officials should be elected for short terms and be subject to recall. No public official should make more than what the averaged skilled worker makes.
Statehood: I'm really partial to the idea of having a single "statehood or independence" vote in every one of the remaining territories as a means of firmly ending the colonial status of said territories, once and for all. Furthermore, I think that state boundaries really need to be re-drawn to reflect the reality on the ground in 2014. Why should North Dakota exist as one state and California not exist as like, five different states? Every major city in excess of one million persons should be considered it's own state, and should have a Governor and state legislature and get to send representatives to DC independent of the surrounding area.
Voting Age: Lower the overall age of majority to 16. We baby people too much for too long in this country. People should be fully prepared to be financially and socially independent at age 16; high school should end at this age, you should be able to buy a beer, get a full time job, and vote at age 16.
Campaign Finance Reform: Fix this problem by not having elections as the means of selecting public officials. Every public office should be selected by drawing lots.
Voter ID: Abolish voter registration in favor of automatic registration for anyone aged 16 and up.
Welfare: We should make the Swedish look stingy. Phase out most cash payout programs in favor of an unconditional, universal basic income program adjusted for inflation that would feasibly allow someone to survive without having to have an additional income on top of it. Wage labor should be thus made a choice, not a requirement, in order to survive. This will have the effect of raising the price of labor, which will encourage employers to invest more in labor-saving devices, which will ultimately have the effect of automating all employment (or at least, most of it) which can of course pave the way for the ultimate abolition of capitalism in favor of a post-work, post-capitalist economy (i.e. socialism) wherein there is abundance for all and the fruits of our collective labor are not appropriated by parasites. But in the meantime, we need socialized medicine (on the Cuban model), socialized housing (end homelessness by guaranteeing everyone the right to a home; housing co-operatives should be given massive state support and should be used as a means to drive private housing into the dirt), the minimum wage should be tripled and automatically adjusted for inflation, increases in worker productivity, and regional differences in the cost of living (but it should never be adjusted below the national floor). Tipping should be banned and tipped employees paid a living wage. Everyone who wants a job should be guaranteed one through public employment as yet another alternative to private wage labor (think a worker-managed version of the WPA that pays good wages), and education should be fully free of charge from top to bottom, with the state paying for your education as long as far as your skills and abilities will take you.
Unions: Repeal all anti-union laws and instead aggressively promote not just unionization, but worker ownership. Require labor representation on corporate boards, convert the largest sectors of the economy to worker-owned co-operative industries (with the intent of collectivizing all industry into worker-owned co-operative industry), adopt union control over hiring and firing in every industry, and give unions full control of the workplace, with the ultimate goal of abolishing the separation of ownership and management in favor of worker ownership and worker management of the means of production.
Privatization: I am in favor of going the opposite route and instead support taking over major industries and handing them over to their workers to own and manage. This should eventually be expanded to the whole of the economy, with the goal of eradicating capitalist private enterprise in favor of worker-owned and worker-managed co-operative enterprise.
Environment: I consider myself an ecosocialist. I do not think that the survival of the species and that the survival of the planet are compatible with the continuation of capitalism. As such, I support any and all efforts to reduce the negative impact of capitalist enterprise on the planet. Fracking should be banned in it's entirety. Coal and oil usage should be phased out in favor of nuclear power, and we should put a lot of money into developing nuclear fusion technology (and space mining is going to be a big part of that, especially with all the Helium-3 resting on the lunar surface). Solar power should likewise be heavily invested in. Abolish public transit fees and rapidly expand the use of zero-carbon or low-carbon transport.
Minimum Wage: See Welfare.
Taxation: Individual taxation is decidedly bourgeois in character, and that's part of why I'm not really fixed on the idea. I think that it is important, especially as we move toward a socially owned, zero-carbon economy, to move away from individual modes of taxation in favor of a more collective approach. For starters, I think that we need to begin to seriously consider a green shift in taxation to tax those activities which are ecologically destructive and harmful on the whole to society at-large. I oppose regressive taxation in all it's forms, however, and would want any new taxation levied to be strongly progressive in character.
Healthcare: See Welfare.
Trade: I am no "free trader" in the sense that that term is applied today. I believe that trade should be actively managed, not to produce a trade surplus or allow a trade deficit, but to achieve a trade balance and to actively support activities which are necessary for the wellbeing of the American people. Worker-owned enterprises should be prioritized in this regard as an alternative to globe-hopping private capitalists, who should be turned away if they do not invest in the United States. If a foreign company wants to sell it's products in the United States, it should be required to make every product it intends to sell here, using American labor, and should be unionized, with significant worker input and control over the shop floor. Strict capital controls should be enacted to prevent the further hemorrhaging of the national industrial base. Those companies that yet still seek to move production overseas should automatically lose the right to any property used for production in the United States (which should be turned over to its workers) and should be required to pay hefty, severance fees to the communities they exit for each job lost as a result of capital flight.
Cuban Embargo: End the embargo and the travel ban and embrace the opportunity to rebuild a positive relationship with the Cuban government.
Subsidies: If it receives federal dollars, it should be taken into public ownership and be turned over to its workers for management.
Military: Remove all U.S. troops from foreign soil, shutdown all foreign military bases, disband all aggressive military alliances and withdraw from existing collective security agreements. Cut the military budget in half, end it's propaganda operations (advertising, recruitment in high schools and colleges), and thin out the ranks of the armed forces, starting with officers first. Automate as much as possible, and invest heavily in robotic infantry and drone technology. Ground all human pilots in favor of drones.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies