Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:02:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556492 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 11, 2011, 06:10:10 PM »

Economic

Taxes and Spending: Government should take as little of people's money as possible, and not saddle people with more taxes just because the government decide to start a new program
Gold Standard: In Favor of making our currency worth something.
NAFTA: Undecided, though leaning protectionist.
Unions: Unions have the right to collectively bargain, but should not have a monopoly on the employment of a certain area or industry.
Poverty: Believe in reducing poverty through free market forces, like Jack Kemp.

Overall: Jack Kemp with a distrust of Free Trade

Social

Abortion: If not for the tenth amendment, I would support a federal government ban on abortion. However, with the tenth amendment, I support a Right to Life amendment as well as all of the states banning abortion.
Gay marriage: Not in favor of, but because of the tenth amendment again, should be delegated to the states where hopefully it will be struck down.
Illegal Immigration: Ship 'em back to wherever they came from, make them come in legally. Secure both borders.
Drugs: Not in favor of, but states once again.
Patriot Act: Unsure, though I used to lean in favor.

Overall: Basic constitutionalist social conservative.

Foreign Policy

Iraq: I don't know how true the evidence was of WMD's, however if I had been told that Iraq had WMD's, I would have invaded.
Afghanistan: Glad that Petreaus is in charge. Hopefully we can fix Afghanistan, however it is not likely. I do not support withdrawal because that means the reversing of ten years of fighting and over 1'000 soldiers dead for nothing.
Israel: Not sure if I would have supported its creation, however it's there, it's a Democracy, and we should support them. However, there should be a two state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, if that's possible.
North Korea: If they decide they want to fight, bring it.
Iran: Let Israel do what is in its national interests and take out the nuclear sites. Also, see North Korea.

Overall: Neo-Conservative hawk. Though it doesn't show, I do have a more cautious side however the issues of the day don't allow this to be shown.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »

Social Policy
Abortion: Ideally I'd favor a national ban on all abortions other than those in the case that the mother would be killed by the birth, that old schtick. In the likely case that Roe v. Wade won't be repealed, I favor policies reducing abortions and incentivising women to keep their children. Sadly yes, this would involve supporting programs that'd make life easier on the less advantaged, especially those with kids. In this example, I'd prioritize the life of the children over fiscal conservatism.
Gay Marriage: Not a fan of gay marriage, but I'm a pragmatist. I could allow for civil unions of some sort, etc., or even taking marriage out of the context of the state entirely.
Marijuana Legalization: Favor. Though with most of my more moderate positions, I'd prefer not to champion it.
Other Drugs: I haven't thought much about the issue, though I would likely in no way favor legalizing them. Decriminalization in favor of heavy financial penalties might be a good idea.
Immigration: Don't tolerate illegal immigration, but make legal immigration itself easier. Might have to make some modifications to policy concerning illegal immigration to make things more convenient for everyone. No specifics.
Gypsies: Crazy magic tricks? Telling my fortune? Putting curses on my line!? Heavily favor putting them into camps.

Economic Policy
Right-to-Work: In favor.
Public Sector Collective Bargaining: As well in favor, which may sound contradictory. The way I see it, a person has the right to be part of what organization they please. That doesn't necessarily obligate the employment entity to respect their authority. Nor does it mean that a union would be automatically powerless. But I digress...
Taxes on the Rich: Not necessarily a fan of raising taxes. But for God's sake Republicans, concede this. If things really are hurt by it, then just say it was thanks to conceding to the Democrats.
Government Spending: Reduce unneeded spending. Easy enough to say, but what's unnecessary? I'd favor a radical consolidation of the various anti-poverty programs, possibly reduce it to the "guaranteed minimum income" program, but impose certain restrictions and limitations on the unemployed, ie. time limits on receiving benefits while unemployed, requirement that one must be looking for work, drug testing, etc.
Programs: See above, I guess. Also, make Social Security more accountable, don't let Congress borrow from it, "lock box", allow for vouchers in order to find alternatives to medicaid.
Education: Allow school vouchers. In no way of a fan of the people on this forum who support a public education system for public education's sake, though that in no way means we should abolish it.
Regulation: We should probably have not de-regulated banking as much, though in general, the regulations I'd favor on corporations would environmental related.
Eminent Domain: Not in favor, and it should definitely not be extended to corporations.

Foreign Policy
Iraq and Afghanistan: Are those officially ended? If so, good. We set up a Democracy in Iraq, and that Hell hole we call "Afghanistan" doesn't deserve to take the lives of a single American soldier.
Iran: In light of the trouble we ran into with the two aforementioned countries, all action we take against these folks should remain covert. Sure, it's shady and maybe a bit morally ambiguous, but that's the way covert operations should be.
Israel: Support them, I guess. I'm in no way some super pro-Israel absolutist, but I would back them. And hey, if they wanna start the war with Iran for us, that makes life a lot more convenient.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »

I'm a general progressive on most issues. End the war on drugs, down with Reaganomics, restore the New Deal, death to neoliberals, nationwide legal gay marriage, stringently pro-choice, peace and love, yada yada yada.

I suppose the big difference between me and well, every other progressive on earth, is that I support a more authoritarian government - a dictatorship if need be - to enact these policies. This is because, democracy, while a good idea in theory, is far too easy to be corrupted for the interests of the power-hungry elite. The corporate media manipulates the people into voting against their own interests distressingly often. In an authoritarian government, however, the manipulation of the people would have little to no effect, because the people would not control the government to begin with.

Now, of course, lack of popular control of the government is a bad thing when we are discussing fascist governments like Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. But in my ideal state, the lack of popular control would not be a problem, because the government would act on behalf of the people, like a caring parent acts on behalf of their children, while not allowing them full control over their own affairs for the same reason a caring parent does not allow children to control their own affairs, because manipulators can push them into making terrible decisions for themselves.

So, there's that. I dunno what you call my ideology. Authoritarian paternalist progressivism?

I think "the worst" suffices for a name.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »

Too lazy to think out an entirely coherent ideology. Opposed to free trade and deindustrialization and support the rather vague notion of making it easier to become employed for the disadvantaged, as having people unemployed or paid incredibly low causes agitation for the socialization of industry and universalization of services. Having a strong national industry rather than paid unproductivity seems preferable. Conservative on abortion, but not "tough on crime", as based on what I've read, it appears an unnuanced and troglodytic response to criminal justice issues, and not entirely sure on "gay" issues.  Obviously, we shouldn't heed the calls of leftists to entirely uproot our language or social structure to appease people who don't know how to interact with each other. On foreign policy, it's like eh, whatever. Not terribly opposed to wire tapping, as I'm hoping to go into the intelligence analysis industry. Government should work to promote civic virtues, otherwise, in situations where parents are either unable (the poor), or too stupid to (the rich) indoctrinate their children properly, they'll likely get modes of behavior from media figures and view both economic and social hedonism as signs of a "good life". God need not be invoked, but hopefully civic leaders could do as much as necessary to imply such. The above policies could hopefully also help erase racial issues as well. A nation steeped in the basics of respect, hard work, (limited) tolerance, and compassion would hopefully result. In my view, people these days are coming out of "the system" with a few basic viewpoints: "have a good time!" "I'm better than this stuff/other people." "I'm special" and so on. For this nation to succeed, and, in doing so, help the world, this must be corrected.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 10:06:13 PM »

N/A
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies