Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 563158 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:02 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2008, 11:44:21 PM by officepark »

I am a total social libertarian, with the exception that I am pro-life, oppose hate crime legislation, pro-censorship, anti-drug, anti-prostitution, and I don't support any extreme issues, albeit the separation of church and state, where most would consider me to be very extreme (ie taking "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance, "in God we trust" out of money", and the 10 Commandments off of governmentally-run buildings.)

Economically, however, I am much more complicated.  I am an economic moderate/liberal.  On the liberal side, I oppose the modern privization attempts by Republicans, mostly oppose welfare reform (because I feel that it is my job as a human being to help a person live, even if he will not help him/herself), support labor unions, support agricultural subsidies, am pro-environment, strongly in support of affirmative action, oppose tort reform, and oppose school vouchers.  However, my Conservative economic views are these:  I oppose progressive taxation, support a flatter, more fair tax system, I am a deficit hawk, support tax cuts for all, especially the wealthy, and would have supported Bush's tax cuts had the deficit not been so astronomical; I oppose special interest groups getting funding from the government (NASA, I'm talkin' to you!), oppose the pessimistic comments made by the majority of the Democratic party criminalizing the rich, support school choice in a non-voucher system, support the rights of businesses over ethics, oppose big spending in general, oppose efforts to encourage immigration or lessen the amount of years it takes to immigrate, and support protectionism in trade with other countries.  And I have no official opinion on free/fair trade, embargos on China and Cuba, and health care, among several other economic issues I cannot remember at the moment.

And, foreign policy-wise, I'm a dove.  (Although I don't support UN approval to go to war).  Expanding on this, I don't believe that one can go to war with a non-existing country, such as "Terrorism," but military intervention into terrorist networks is advisable.  Oppose Iraq.  As far as Israel and Palestine go, I support offering military aid to Israel if other nations declare war on them for being the only official Jewish nation.  I also believe that Israel treats Palestine unfairly, and Palestinians have just as much a right to live in that country as the Jewish people; it is, after all, both of our holy lands, and I would suggest a separation of church and state to ease tensions in Israel.

So those are my positions on the issues.  Let's hear some of you.

Now even though I am a staunch conservative, I could support a candidate with positions like yours. Except of course for your position on God in the state, vouchers and affirmative action.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »

- I support civil-unions seperation of marriage and state
- I strongly support removing "under god" from the pledge.
- I oppose public schools prayer

I like this.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2009, 01:09:03 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Social Issues

Abortion: I reject the idea of abortion on demand, and I would strongly support a ban.
Separation of church and state: A nonsense term that liberals use to censor religion. While I do believe in freedom of religion, and oppose the idea of a national religion, liberals are going too far here.
Affirmative action: A euphemism for discrimination (no "reverse discrimination" nonsense), end it.
Hate crimes: Nonsense legislation, get rid of it.
Gun control: I reject it, the second amendment is not negotiable. It grants us the right to own firearms, and I oppose increases on firearm/ammunition taxation that try to chip away at that right.
Death penalty: Keep it as a sentencing option.
Flag burning: Strongly oppose.
Euthanasia: I would strongly support a ban.
Prostitution: Must not be legalized in any way.
Immigration: Maintain immigration while enforcing against those here illegally and who have no intention to apply for legal immigration.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Lower, flatter taxes across the board. Reduce as much as possible for everyone.
Trade: Generally support free trade.
Spending: Reduce it as much as possible.
Welfare: When discussing welfare, we should remember this quote: "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence".
Education: The public school system is a disaster, and that has nothing to do with money or the lack thereof. I am against mandatory public school attendance, and I support private schools (school vouchers included) and homeschooling.
Regulations: Significantly reduce.

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement: We must have a strong military to defend ourselves and fight the war on terrorism, and we should never put military action off the table.
United Nations: Negative opinion, but withdrawing is pointless.
Israel: Strongly support.
Foreign aid: Reduce it.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: I reject the idea of abortion on demand, and I would strongly support a ban. The only case in which it should be allowed is when it is necessary to save the life of the mother.
Separation of church and state: A nonsense term that liberals use to censor religion. While I do believe in freedom of religion, and oppose the idea of a national religion, liberals are going too far here.

Affirmative action: A euphemism for discrimination (no "reverse discrimination" nonsense), end it.
Hate crimes: Nonsense legislation, get rid of it. (Neutral)
Gun control: I reject it, the second amendment is not negotiable. It grants us the right to own firearms, and I oppose increases on firearm/ammunition taxation that try to chip away at that right.
Flag burning: Strongly oppose.
Euthanasia: I would strongly support a ban.
Prostitution: Must not be legalized in any way.

Immigration: Maintain immigration while enforcing against those here illegally and who have no intention to apply for legal immigration.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Lower, flatter taxes across the board. Reduce as much as possible for everyone.
Trade: Generally support free trade.
Spending: Reduce it as much as possible.
Welfare: When discussing welfare, we should remember this quote: "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence".
Education: The public school system is a disaster, and that has nothing to do with money or the lack thereof. I am against mandatory public school attendance, and I support private schools (school vouchers included) and homeschooling.
Regulations: Significantly reduce. (Mixed)

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement: We must have a strong military to defend ourselves and fight the war on terrorism, and we should never put military action off the table.
United Nations: Negative opinion, but withdrawing is pointless.
Israel: Strongly support.
Foreign aid: Reduce it.

We agree more often than you would think.

Indeed, and I am pleasantly surprised.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:22:21 PM »

Social and Institutional Issues

Ideology: Social liberal or soft social libertarian

Abortion: I'm obviously pro-choice, but it's a decision to be made by a woman and only by her. The government has no business telling her what she has to do with her body and so forth. However, I support a kind of 'education' campaign saying that abortion is a tough decision to make, and that it isn't a everyday normal thing to do for fun.
Death Penalty: I support it for the most heinous crimes such as high treason in wartime, recidivist rapists and serial murderers.
School prayer: Strongly oppose. The public school is a secular institution.
Separation of church and state: Strongly, strongly, very strongly support. Religion has no role in the state, and vice-versa. The state has no business funding private religious schools.
Embryonic Stem-Cell Research: Strongly support
Gay Marriage: I support gay marriage. People who love each other, regardless of their sex, have the right to get married.
Euthanasia: Strongly support if patient is of sound mind.
Prostitution: I support legalization, if only because it would be easier for prostitutes to find and seek help if needed.
Gun Control: I support tougher gun control to prevent former criminals and the like from getting access guns. I oppose a gun registry due to exorbitant costs attached to such a program.
Drug War & Marijuana: Legalize medical marijuana and other soft drugs that can be used for medical purposes. That's it.
Institutional Reform (France and/or Canada)Sad I support further de-centralization in France, as well as the direct election of Senators and the introduction of MMP for elections to the National Assembly. Reform electoral systems for local, regional and European elections. In Canada, I support either an elected Senate or abolishing it pure and simple. I support MMP or PR in elections to the House.

Based on these positions I am surprised that your social political matrix score is not any lower than it is.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:26:41 PM »

Of course. He is crazy.

Anyway, that's surprising coming from you. Aren't you too pro-choice in all three trimesters?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »

Of course. He is crazy.

Anyway, that's surprising coming from you. Aren't you too pro-choice in all three trimesters?

No, only the first two.

What?! Fake libertarian! Tongue

Seriously, your social score would suggest otherwise.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »

Of course. He is crazy.

No, only the first two.

What?! Fake libertarian! Tongue

Seriously, your social score would suggest otherwise.

A foetus can feel pain after the first two trimesters.

Fair enough. I did not know that that was your position, though.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:00:05 PM »

Wow, mandatory abortion? If you were the leader of my nation I'd openly call for a military coup of your dictatorship.

^^^^
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 02:38:56 PM »

Well, obviously. Winston made it clear that he wants gun owners lined up and shot, what makes you think you're any different?

Tongue
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Admittedly, I too dislike much of your "platform"*, but welcome anyways.

*Well, you do have the right idea on social issues and foreign policy (except for the commonwealth of nations; though I too support the special relationship, I absolutely oppose joining the commonwealth)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »

Economic

Nationalization/Privatization: Nationalize every company with over 20 employees.
Government Intervention: Begin a massive drive to open new coal mines, factories, steelmills, ironworks, shipyards etc. to restore British manufacturing. Begin roadbuilding and renovation projects to restore the British road system, as well as a new railway building program to replace rail closed down under the Beeching Axe. Aim to reduce unemployment to under 500,000.
Pensions: Maintain pension age at 65
Taxation: Massive redistribution of wealth and heavily progressive taxation.
Trade: High protective tariffs against foreign manufactured goods.
Healthcare: Nationalize all private hospitals & services, abolish prescription charges and begin a hospital building program.
Education: Nationalize all private schools, abolish tuition fees and maintain the school leaving age at 16. Abolish school uniforms and standardize the testing system.
Finance: Private banks are inefficient, illogical and greedy - nationalize all of them and create a small group of state banks for different requirements. Re-introduce foreign exchange controls. Abolish the Stock Exchange.

Social

Abortion: Allow on request
Gay marriage: Legalize and make equal with existing heterosexual marriage laws.
Death penalty: Restore for treason and murder
Euthanasia: Support I guess
Drugs: Legalize soft drugs
Immigration: We're a crowded country - make sure there are clear controls on borders.

Foreign

War on Terror: Get out of it, it is nothing to do with us.
Alliances: Support communist movements in other countries
Military involvement: Unneccesary except in self defence.
NATO: Leave
EU: Leave
Nuclear disarmament: Multilateral if possible. If not, unilateral.

You're insane! Although I guess you have one bright spot in the EU....
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2010, 08:22:34 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Social Issues

Abortion: Ban.
Affirmative action: It's discrimination. Abolish.
"Hate crimes" legislation: Abolish.
Gun control: Strongly oppose.
Euthanasia: Do not legalise.
Prostitution: Ban.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Should be as low and flat as possible.
Spending: Reduce.
Education: I don't like public schools, and I support private schools/homeschooling, but don't abolish public schools.
Regulations: Reduce significantly.
Obamacare: Abolish.

Foreign Policy

Military: We should not cut it.
United Nations: I'm hostile to the UN, but I strongly oppose withdrawal.
Israel: Maintain our current position.
North Korea: Firmly oppose the Communist regime. The North may launch an actual war at any moment, and we need to be prepared for it.
Foreign aid: Reduce.

And finally, UK Issues (if I were British, these would be my positions on UK-specific issues):

NHS: Abolish.
EU: No further integration, no to adopting the euro.
AV: Oppose.
Monarchy: Ideally, it would be abolished. Not a penny of taxpayer money should be used to fund William's wedding. While we're at it, abolish the Church of England and the Act of Settlement.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »

13.) Abortion after first heart-beat should be heavily discouraged.

If I'm not mistaken, this position is quite different from the one I read last time.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »

Your statements on euthanasia, the death penalty, and abortion (among other things) are contradictory.

I was a bit worried someone would point that out, I noticed it too.  The conclusions may seem contradictory, but I don't think the reasoning is.  To me, abortion is about the rights of the mother--it's not a moral issue because a fetus isn't a person.  Euthanasia is, to me, a moral issue because it involves a actual person's life.  Death penalty is a completely different story, the value of one's life is erased when one willinging takes the life of another.

Ah, of course, the old canard about how someone can be a human and yet not a person.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »

Your statements on euthanasia, the death penalty, and abortion (among other things) are contradictory.

I was a bit worried someone would point that out, I noticed it too.  The conclusions may seem contradictory, but I don't think the reasoning is.  To me, abortion is about the rights of the mother--it's not a moral issue because a fetus isn't a person.  Euthanasia is, to me, a moral issue because it involves a actual person's life.  Death penalty is a completely different story, the value of one's life is erased when one willinging takes the life of another.

Ah, of course, the old canard about how someone can be a human and yet not a person.

This isn't that good of an argument. A lot of things are human and not persons. I mean, our various parts are human, but are not persons. I have been reading in scientific magazines and it appears that  more scientists are begining to criticize classical Mandelian-Darwinian evolution and begining to the theorize that we and all complex life may have evolved from communities of individual simple life forms in a symbiotic relationship. Perhaps the evolution of life on Earth is more like Spore than Mr/s. Garrison's "retarded fish frog". So, this isn't as good as an argument and may lose even more steam as our society's understanding of life changes..but then again, evolution may once again be controversial in the future, but not in the way you may think.

Well, that's the other problem with this point of view. A fetus is not an organ or part of the body, but a separate life, a separate body, with its own genetic makeup. I'll rephrase: no individual can be both a human being and not a person. A person is a human being, especially as distinguished from an animal or thing. If it's a human (which it is), it must be a person also.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »

Yes...but I do not see how a person is in existence when there is nothing yet to fully constitute a basic person. A potential person is not a person as a potential anything else is not that thing. I mean, someone can say that "I am a potential millionaire", but that's not enough for me to give him a loan.  If you want to attack abortion, I think claiming that it is dishonest is a better plan of attack than saying its unjustifiable violence. I think South Park really animates this distinction as they make fun of the idea that abortion is a violent or unjustfiable act (Merry Critter Christmas, when they try to fight the antichrist with an abortion) but repeatedly denounces abortion as an act of dishonesty (when Cartman teaches an inner city school and he tells a pregnant girl that to be succesful she must cheat and that abortion is an ultimate form of cheating)

There is no such thing as a "potential person".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies