Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:35:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 562733 times)
Mini Mike
Rookie
United States

« on: April 21, 2020, 02:52:20 AM »
« edited: April 21, 2020, 03:45:20 AM by Mini Mike »

My views are a huge mixed bag. Hence, why I’m an independent or as I like to call it “politically homeless”

Social Policy:

Abortion: Pro-life. To quote Hubert Humphrey, “I’m not for it.” The Born Alive Act needs to pass ASAP
Same-sex marriage: LGBT rights are human rights. Marriage inequality is unconstitutional. It’s been the law of the land for 5 years. Don’t think it should be considered an issue anymore.
Marijuana: Fully legalize (medicinal and recreational), tax and regulate it
Stem Cell Research: Support, except for embryonic
Death Penalty: Oppose (consider myself whole-life)
Gun control: Generally pro second amendment but I support background checks such as the no-fly rule. Strongly oppose the idea of an assault weapons buyback (a la Beto O’Rourke) or a gun registry. I would probably get a low B rating from the NRA if I was in office.
Affirmative Action: It depends. I definitely support equal opportunity legislation, but in some cases it can go to far.
Prostitution: Personally oppose and will never partake in it, but it should be legal
Euthanasia: Oppose (again consider myself whole-life)

Economic Issues:

Minimum Wage: I think $15 is a reasonable nationwide minimum wage
Welfare: Support. It helps lift people out of poverty. It shouldn’t be abused though. Strongly oppose drug testing recipients.
Right-to-Work: Definitely consider myself pro-union. Organized labor has done a lot for our country (i.e. 8 hour workday, etc.) and certain professions must be unionized in my opinion (police, fire, service employees). With this being said, I draw the line when some (a minority) of unions bully/coerce employees or buy elections like corporations.
Taxation: Our current system is ok for the most part. I mainly oppose raising taxes (unless it’s needed) but I oppose the unnecessarily cutting taxes for the rich which every GOP president seems to do. I love that my state (Florida) has no state income tax. I have always strongly opposed the estate/death tax.
Healthcare: I consider myself a moderate on this issue. I oppose federal single-payer, it won’t work in the US. If a state wants to pass it (like what Newsom was trying to do in CA), it’s a different story. I support a public/private option to a degree but the public option should be reserved especially for people who can’t afford private insurance, disabled and elderly. I oppose providers discriminating against people for pre-existing conditions. When people ask me if it’s a human right I say yes - but that doesn’t mean single payer is the only option.
Social Security: I strongly support it in its present form. I’m against privatizing it or raising the retirement age.
Trade: I’m somewhere between the free trade and fair trade position. I support some but not all tariffs. Human rights should be a priority in US trade policy. I oppose NAFTA and the TPP.
Education: I am strongly pro charter schools and school choice/vouchers. I think the Department of Ed should be abolished or consolidated into HHS.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Strongly support. It is absolutely necessary and I’ve always been puzzled why the US Constitution doesn’t have one but almost all state constitutions do. I am deficit hawk.

Foreign Policy and National Security:

Afghanistan: Leave
Iraq: Leave
Iran: Please, lets not go to war with them
Syria: Leave
Cuba: Lift the embargo.
Military Spending: Decrease
Israel/Palestine: Pro-Israel
Immigration: I support immigration reform, the DREAM Act and DACA. I think there should be an easier pathway to legal status and ultimately citizenship. To quote Logic, “f*** the wall.” We need bridges not a wall. Trump’s immigration policy is terrible, dehumanizing and disgusting (I.e. children in cages). With this being said I do not by any means support open borders. Border security is necessary and ICE, while it should be reformed, should absolutely not be abolished. I oppose the idea of “sanctuary cities” and I would’ve voted for Kate’s Law. I completely opposed Trump’s travel/Muslim ban.

Environment:

Climate Change: Obviously it’s a huge problem, and I have great respect for young people like Greta Thunberg who bring awareness to it. I think it’s sad that a good portion of politicians don’t think it’s real, let alone manmade. While I strongly oppose Carbon Taxes the Green New Deal (too extreme and it costs way more than it will help), the government does have an obligation in my opinion to help fight climate change.
Green Energy: Support. Solar is the future.
Nuclear Energy: Support. Safety is key though.

Electoral Reform: We need a lot of it. Gerrymandering needs to be outlawed/declared unconstitutional by the SCOTUS for starters. States should be in charge of their congressional electoral system but I would like to see more ranked choice voting (like in Maine). I would be for multi-member districts and proportional representation, but this would never happen in the duopoly we live in.
Term limits: Strongly support. Politics should be a service not a career. President should stay at 2 4-year terms. Congress should be a max of 24 years, 12 in each house - House 6 2-year terms and Senate 2 6-year terms. There should also be a law that former members of Congress can’t be lobbyists after leaving office.
Electoral College: Should be kept.
Voter ID: Oppose. Evidence suggests that disenfranchisement is much more of an issue than “voter fraud”
Compulsory Voting: Absolutely not
Voter Registration: It’s something people should be encouraged to do at 18, and it should be easy, painless and online. However, I oppose automatic registration. I don’t think voter fraud is much of a problem now, but it would be if we had auto registration.

So what does this all make me? A centrist? A pragmatist? A “third party nut job?”
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies