Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:10:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 563343 times)
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« on: February 17, 2021, 12:15:28 AM »

Ideology
Social: Liberal
Economic: Liberal
Foreign Policy: Internationalist

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-life generally, oppose beyond 20 weeks except in cases of threat to the mother.

Same-Sex Marriage: Support

Drugs: Support legalizing marijuana, decriminalizing most other drugs

Death Penalty: Oppose Strongly

Gun Control: Somewhat support. Support universal background checks, but think the AWB isn't really worth the political fight as it will have little impact on the number of gun deaths in the country.

Affirmative Action: Somewhat oppose. I understand the rationale for and against it.

Prostitution: Somewhat oppose. From what I've seen the data is actually mixed on whether legalizing prostitution decreases or increases sex crimes. Could be convinced either way, not a strongly held position.

Euthanasia: Somewhat oppose. Again, this is not a position I've given a lot of thought to.

Immigration: I am a strong supporter of legal immigration, and favor expanding the immigration system and greatly increasing the refugee cap. Generally support border security, though I believe the wall is a stupid waste of money. I support increased border security funding and don't oppose all deportations.

Police Issues/Black Lives Matter: Strongly favor police reform. Police need more oversight, and qualified immunity needs to be eliminated. Support mandatory body cams. Oppose electing sheriffs.

Free Speech/Political Correctness: Strongly oppose government restrictions on free speech. Don't care much about people getting banned from social media if that is what was meant. I feel like "political correctness" can sometimes go too far, but do not feel that it is too big an issue.

School Prayer: Oppose.

Muslim Ban: Oppose.

PATRIOT ACT: Oppose. Additionally would strongly oppose any proposed "PATRIOT ACT II" if Congress tries to pass one after the Capitol Storming.

Economic Issues
Minimum Wage: Raise it. $15 seems fine in general, but I'm not sure about if it would be good in rural areas with lower costs of living. Ideally it would be tied to regional costs and inflation somehow.

Healthcare: Support Biden's plan, but am generally a bit left of his plan. Oppose banning private insurance, but support

Globalization/Trade: Support TPP and NAFTA

Deficit/Debt: Somewhat anti-deficit. It would be good to reduce it but is not a major concern (especially given the current economic and COVID-related problems).

Campaign Finance Reform: Support

Unions: Support

Energy: Support renewables and nuclear power.

Education: Support Biden's plan

Taxes: Support raising income and capitol gains taxes on the upper brackets.

Foreign Policy

Iraq: leave a small contingent to prevent the return of ISIL

Afganistan:

Iran: Support a return to the nuclear deal.

Syria: Continue support for the Kurds.

Cuba: Aim to end the embargo and open up trade with Cuba. Has the dual effect of raising quality of life and weakening the Communist system.

Israel/Palestine: Reduce military support to Israel. Support a two state solution.

Russia: Strengthen sanctions, support expansion of NATO, particularly in Ukraine. Oppose outright aggression.

China: Support attempts to isolate China, including economically, though I generally support free trade. Would support a larger American foreign aid and investment program to counter China's investments in infrastructure in Asia and Africa. Support using American power to maintain the status quo with ROC and PRC.

Environment
Climate Change: Support Paris Agreement, carbon taxation, and renewable energy.

Electoral Issues
Gerrymandering: Strongly oppose, support nationwide fair redistricting.

Term limits: Oppose for President and Congress.

Voter ID: Support, conditioned on IDs being free and provided to all Americans. Oppose otherwise.

DC and PR statehoods: Support
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 04:05:53 PM »

Not sure if I've done this before. I'm using the previous list.

Abortion: Fully legal until ~16 weeks (brain activity), legal afterward to protect the mother.
Birth Control: Fully legal
Same-Sex Marriage: Legal
Legalization of Drugs: Legalize marijuana. Legalize possession and consumption, but not the sale or production of other drugs.
Gun Control: Assault weapons ban, expand background checks, enact red flag laws.
Prostitution: No change.
Affirmative Action: Generally oppose. Public universities should not engage in affirmative action.
Reparations: Stupid.
Police Reform: Increase training requirements for police, eliminate qualified immunity, prevent officers who have been fired or convicted of job-related abuses from working in other police forces. Create a more uniform police oversight board system.
Private Prisons: Ban
Big Tech: I don't like it, but I don't see what legal changes are needed.
Free Speech: I fully support the First Amendment. Not sure who doesn't. Oppose hate speech laws.
Patriot Act: Repeal.
Eminent Domain: Oppose the usage of eminent domain for private development purposes. Eminent domain exists so that forts and roads can be constructed, not for vague notions of economic development.
Immigration: Yearly refugee cap should be raised significantly. Support citizenship for illegal immigrants who were brought as children. That being said, I have no problems with securing the border or more generally preventing illegal immigration.
Mask Mandates: No longer relevant.
Vaccine Mandates: Generally favor in the forms that they currently exist. Oppose religious exemptions.
Covid Vaccines: I don't see what difference there would be between this and the previous question.

Free Trade: Support.
Taxes: Favor raising taxes on higher tax brackets, as well as the creation of an additional bracket for the highest end of the scale. Local property taxes for local school funding should be eliminated, school funding should be handled on at least a statewide level.
Healthcare: Expand medicaid, medicare buy-in for ages 55+. Create a public option. Pass one of the many existing prescription drug bills.
Social Security: If Social Security risks insolvency, eliminate the earnings cap on the social security tax.
National Debt: Should be lowered, although that's a bit of a lost cause at this point.
Unions: Support the right of all workers to form a union. Increase penalties for employers who use illegitimate means to prevent unionization.
Disability: The current state of disability rights seems decent, at least at the federal level, so I'm unsure what needs to be done here.
Tariffs: Generally oppose. Tariffs for economic protection rarely work, and tariffs for national security reasons probably ought to be embargoes.
Outsourcing: An unavoidable consequence of having a free economy.
Monopolies: More rigorous enforcement of anti-trust legislation, though there are not many true monopolies today.

Foreign Aid: Strongly support. Foreign aid is an infinitesimal fraction of the country's budget, which has the beneficial effects of increasing American influence and building alliances abroad. Support expanding funding to initiate an American backed belt and road initiative-type proposal.
UN Funding: Current levels are adequate.
WHO: Disapprove of some of China's meddling, but such things are not worth blowing up the organization.
Paris Deal: Rejoin.
Afghanistan: Oppose the withdrawal. We took on the responsibility for propping up Afghanistan when we chose to invade in 2001, and we should not have withdrawn unless the state we left behind had some hope of surviving.
Iraq: The Iraq War was a mistake. The continued presence of small amounts of troops in Iraq isn't a problem to me, so long as they are stationed with the consent of Iraq's government.
Iran: Supported the Iran deal and continued negotiations. Oppose military action against Iran unless directly attacked.
Cuba: Support normalizing trade with Cuba.
China: Support military aid and protection for Taiwan. Support efforts to create American alliances in East Asia to counter China's influence. Support refocusing our military towards defending against a potential conflict over Taiwan (though such a thing should obviously not be instigated).
Russia: Support all current sanctions against Russia for its war with Ukraine, support additional sanctions/embargo against Russia. Support increased aid to Ukraine, including training on and delivery of Western weapons and equipment.
Section 230: Fine in its current form.

CRT: I oppose teaching university-level legal theories in public schools. Oppose teaching (commonly labelled "CRT") which implies inherited guilt or which shames students for things outside their control, while recognizing that such things are not actually commonly taught in schools.
Evolution: What year is it?
School prayer: Prayer should not be involved in public school instruction. If a student chooses to pray on their own that's fine.
Sallie Mae: regulate
Free college: Oppose. Support state schools and community colleges.
Free School Meals: Support.

Climate Change: Is a long-term threat to the planet, requiring government action and international co-operation now to combat it. Support moving the US power grid to cleaner sources such as wind, water, solar, or nuclear power.
Green New Deal: Incredibly stupid.
Carbon Tax: Support
Keystone Pipeline: Oppose

2020 Election Lies: Totally false.
Voter ID: Support as long as all Americans are issued IDs.
Audits: ?
Term limits: Oppose term limits, would support repeal of the 22nd Amendment.
DC: Support statehood, repeal of the 23rd Amendment.
Puerto Rico: Support statehood, repeal of the Jones Act, overturning of the Insular Cases.
SCOTUS: Favor codifying the Supreme Court's actual role and powers into the constitution.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies