Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:59:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 562987 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: April 16, 2020, 06:42:56 AM »

I don't think I have ever done this, so this should be fun

Social Policy:

Abortion: Pro-choice up to the 3rd-4th month (inclusive). Beyond that allow it only in cases of rape, danger to the mother's health or congenital diseases
Same Sex Marriage: Allow, with equal rights to heterosexual marriage
Marijuana: Legalize for recreational use
Stem Cell Research: Support
Death Penalty: Abolish. Not only that, but abolish life imprisonment without parole as well.
Gun control: By American standards I am extremely pro-Gun control, though for Spanish standards I just support keeping our current laws Tongue
Affirmative Action: Abolish
Prostitution: Keep it illegal
Euthanasia: Legalize in cases where the ill person has a 0% chance of recovery and is suffering and is also able of giving consent or has previously given consent as part of their final will

Economic Issues:

Minimum Wage: Raise gradually to 1000 €/month
Welfare: I would streamline and simplify welfare, but keep it at its current levels if that makes any sense
Right-to-Work: Not really applicable in Europe, but I am a strong supporter of unions. They are often incompetent, but that only means they need to get better at doing their actual job and strengthened, not weakened
Taxation: Increase income tax but reduce VAT
Healthcare: Public and socialized medicine (ie the government owns most hospitals, not unlike the British NHS)
Social Security: Keep it public, but make deep-reaching reforms so it is sustainable in the future.
Trade: In favour of free trade and opposed to tariffs, but not all countries are worthy of free trade in the first place. It should be used either as a geopolitical tool or with countries that have actually decent working standards
Education: Keep it as part of the autonomous communities.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Support the balanced budget amendment from 2011, though it does not seem to have done much anyways.

Foreign Policy and National Security:

Afghanistan: Stay
Iraq: Leave
Iran: Do not get in in the first place
Syria: Leave
Cuba: Lift sanctions and normalize relations. Regime change in Cuba is a lost cause, so best to have them as something like China or really most other dictatorships
Military Spending: I want military spending increased in Spain (literally the NATO country with the least expenses other than Luxembourg)
Palestine: Do not recognize, but actively lobby for a 2 state solution
Israel: Support on the 1967? borders; oppose annexation of the West Bank; lobby for a 2 state solution
Immigration: Be very harsh against illegal immigrants, with them deported ASAP, but mantain current levels of legal immigration. Immigration is also preferrable from EU countries and Latin America than from Africa or the Middle East.

Environment:

Climate Change: It is very obviously real and man-made and we should do a lot more to fight it.
Green Energy: Strongly support; it is a travesty that Germany of all countries has more solar than us
Nuclear Energy: Expand and maintain the old nuclear power plants from like the 60s open as long as they are safe to operate.

Electoral Reform:

I personally support a 2 round, single memeber districts system like France uses, but that is 100% never passing here.

As a compromise, I would switch Congress from being elected by province to being elected by autonomous community; and switch the Senate to also be elected by autonomous community in such a way where 1 community = X senators.

Also expand the powers of the Senate if that reform is done, but don't do it if it keeps the current electoral system.

Term limits: No; but I do support them in presidential systems for the president. They just don't make sense for parliamentary democracies, though I would not mind if Spain became a presidential republic
Voter ID: Yes
Compulsory Voting: Yes
Voter Registration: Should be automatic

Also, firmly opposed to Catalan independence, though I do support the government negotiating with the Catalans, I just don't know what concessions could be made at this point since they seem to be "independence or bust"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies