Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:02:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 562678 times)
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« on: June 25, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »
« edited: July 28, 2021, 07:00:43 PM by AGA »

I believe in capitalism with regulations to address market failures and a moderate welfare state. I am fairly libertarian on social issues.

Economics

Taxes: I am open to a modest increase in income taxes on those making $500k+ a year, although marginal rates should never go much higher than 40%. Corporate should be low, and some of the tax burden should be shifted onto a VAT. No wealth tax. I am open to replacing property taxes with a land value at the local level. I support repealing the SALT deduction cap, although some states, including New York, should lower their taxes.

Welfare: Social security needs reform so that the trust fund gets better ROI.

Trade: I support free trade. Restrictions on free trade should only be considered for national security reasons or for diplomatic pressure.

Minimum wage: The federal minimum wage should be increased to $12/hr and adjusted for inflation afterwards. I am satisfied with the current minimum wage policy in New York where different regions have different minimum wages.

Healthcare: I support a public option for healthcare like Biden's plan

Education: I do not support free public college or student debt forgiveness. I do support free community college, however. I support vouchers for school choice. Universal pre-k is a waste of money.

Infrastructure: Increase spending to fix some of the roads and the bridges of this country. I do not think it would be economically feasible, however, to make a nationwide high-speed passenger rail network. The Northeast Corridor should be upgraded to allow for higher speeds.

Transportation: Increase spending on local public transportation. American cities are being held back by their reliance on cars.

Housing: Deregulate zoning laws to encourage density and lower housing costs. I oppose rent control.

Unions: I oppose public unions and right to work laws.

Social Issues

Abortion: Should be legal in the first 20 weeks. Afterwards, should only be legal if medically necessary. Keep Hyde Amendment.

LGBT rights: I support the right for gay couples to get married and adopt. Let people use the bathroom according to how they present and identify as either male, female, or nonbinary.

Gun control: There should be universal background checks. I support Trump's bump stock ban. I don't support assault rifle bans or any kind of confiscation/buy back. I support open carry with a permit. I don't know much about guns, so I'll leave it at that.

Death penalty: Oppose

Prostitution: Legalize

Euthanasia: Legal as long as the person is mentally sound.

Reparations for slavery: Oppose

Affirmative action: Oppose

Free speech: Support

Environment

Carbon tax: Support

Paris Climate Accord: Support

Renewable energy: Development of renewable energy should be subsidized. Nuclear isn't bad, either.

Fracking ban: Oppose

Criminal Justice

Drugs: Decriminalize all drugs and treat it like a medical issue. Legalize marijuana, but limit usage in public.

Voting rights: Felons should have the right to vote after being released.

Policing: Police should receive more training and oversight. I am opposed to defunding or abolishing the police. Some areas of the country need more policing, in fact.

Immigration

Border wall: No strong opinion. There are better uses for the money, but it's not the worst policy in the world.

Deportation: All illegal immigrants who commit a felony should be deported. The rest can stay once they are authorized and pay income taxes.

DACA: Support

Path to citizenship: After staying in the US for many years and paying a fine, perhaps citizenship can be granted for illegal immigrants if they have shown to be productive residents. It should be easier for a legal immigrant to get citizenship than an illegal immigrant.

Voting rights: No voting rights for noncitizens or minors.

Legal immigration: Should be easier and faster to immigrate to the US and become a permanent resident, especially to those who can provide high-skilled labor.

Work visas: Should be easier to obtain

Electoral Reform

Voter ID: Don't care, especially if the IDs are free

Compulsory voting: Oppose

Term limits: Oppose

Electoral college: In an ideal world, the president would be elected directly through the popular vote in a federally run election. That would require a constitutional amendment, so the NPVIC is the next-best alternative. I don't think this has a good chance of going through, so it's not an issue I think about too much.

Voting system: IRV is a good, but far from perfect, alternative to FPTP.

Supreme Court: Expansion sets a bad precedent and should be avoided.

Foreign Policy

I am not very informed on foreign policy, but I do have some general principles. I am mostly in favor of international institutions such as the UN and NATO as they can facilitate the solving of international problems. I am not reflexively opposed to military intervention, but diplomatic solutions should also be considered first. I am mostly pro-Israel.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies