Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 562309 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 25, 2007, 08:52:19 PM »
« edited: July 13, 2009, 07:00:55 PM by Fading Frodo »

Social/Cultural Hot-Button issues

Affirmative Action: Strongly oppose affirmative action based on gender, race, and/or ethnic background.  Would support affirmative action on a socio-economic basis, however.

Abortion: I support the overturning of Roe vs. Wade and Casey vs. Planned Parenthood, and returning the issue back to the states where it rightfully belongs.  Accordingly, I favor the nomination of those justices to create the majority required to overturn the 1973 decision.

Stem-Cell Research: Strongly support using federal tax-dollars to fund embryonic stem-cell research, and lifting the ban on letting laboratories create new lines of embryonic stem-cells.

Gay Rights: Favor letting the states determine where they stand on the gay marriage issue as opposed to the Supreme Court.  Would support extending to gay and lesbian couples rights normally restricted to heterosexual married couples, such as hospital visitation, inheritance of estates and other property, among others.  Also support hate crime legislation, as well as overturning 'Don't Ask; Don't Tell', and allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military, and without harassment for their sexual orientation.  In fact I would go further, and advocate creating an elite unit in the U.S. military composed entirely of gay male couples (w/ a corresponding one for lesbian couples) based on the Sacred Band of Thebes.

Sex and Prostitution: Favor comprehensive sex education programs, including accurate and up-to-date information regarding safe sex (condoms, contraceptives, etc.), sexually transmitted diseases like HIV-AIDS, as well as abstinence.  Also favor the legalization of brothels.

Second Amendment: The Second Amendment was intended to be seen as protecting an individual right as with all the other original ten amendments that comprised the Bill of Rights when it was added to the Constitution -given this context it makes little sense to interpret it otherwise.  When it was originally written, 'militia' connoted the entirety of the citizenry, not just a government-created body. 

Accordingly, I support concealed-carry, 'castle-doctrine' laws, and other liberalizing measures.  Needless to say, I strongly oppose gun-bans at any governmental level, be it municipal, state, or national in scope.  However, as with every other amendment, there are limits that must be recognized, and criminals and those deemed certifiably insane by the medical profession should not have access to firearms, and I support measures (e.g. background checks) to that effect so long as the definitions regarding these groups are narrowly construed.   

Drug War: Given the results of the past forty years since the 'war on drugs' was first inaugurated by President Nixon, most dramatically seen in Mexico's increasing likelihood of disintegration as it battles drug lords, I now support ending the 'war on drugs', and instead direct our attention and funding towards prevention and treatment of addicts. 

Election Reform: I support replacing the First-Past-The-Post system with proportional representation with regard to Congress and state legislatures. For presidential elections, I favor having each state assign electoral votes to each presidential nominee based on vote totals they win within each congressional district (similar to Maine and Nebraska), with the precondition that such congressional districts are redrawn not by political parties but by judges within the state they are redistricting.

I also favor replacing our current front-loaded primary/caucus schedule with a Rotating Regional Primary System.

llegal Immigration: I would support full amnesty of the 12 million or so illegal aliens in the United States if we focus first on ensuring that our borders would be secured so as to prevent future hordes of Mexicans and other Latin Americans from coming across the border. I also support significant increases in funding for ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) programs, as well as shifting the emphasis of our immigration policy away from family reunification towards those immigrants who have skills, and are well educated.

Economic issues

Minimum Wage: Support raising it and having it pegged to inflation, provided there are provisions made for small businesses who can less afford the higher costs involved than a multinational corporation.

Labor Unions: Strongly support the passage of the Employee Free Choice Act to strengthen labor unions.

Energy Independence and the Environment: To build a more ecologically sustainable society over the long-haul, I favor research into nuclear fusion and hydrogen fuel-cell technologies; increasing investments into alternative renewable energy sources like wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass among others; promoting energy efficiency in government as well as in private industry, using the LEED Green Building Rating System as a model; tax credits for hybrid vehicles; increasing the fuel economy standards for newer vehicles; as well as the expansion of new nuclear power plants, and updating those already in existence (particularly in areas east of the Mississippi, where the only other viable alternatives to power eastern urban metropolises are coal and oil).  The federal government should also increase investments into mass transit programs in urban areas so as to concentrate population growth in those areas.

Am also open to imposing mandatory CO2 emissions limits as well as a carbon tax to combat (anthropocentric) global warming.

NASA -Space Exploration: Strongly support President Bush's initiative to refocus the space agency away from the International Space Station (instead letting private companies and international space agencies fund the ISS upon its completion) and towards the exploration (and hopeful colonization) of the Moon and Mars.  I also support replacing our ageing space shuttle fleet with newer rockets built as part of the Constellation program, and distributing funding accordingly.  I do not support extending the use of our current space shuttles beyond 2010.   

Foreign Policy

The United States is not likely to retain its status as the 'sole, remaining superpower' as this century progresses, and our power will decline relative to the continued rise of new great powers like China, India, Brazil, South Africa, and Iran.  It is therefore to our long-term benefit to strengthen international law and institutions to brace the liberal international order that we heralded into existence after the end of the Second World War, and to make more likely that such rising powers assimilate to the existing order rather than create a parallel system that is not so conducive to the spread of free markets, democracy, and liberal norms.   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2009, 01:24:04 PM by Frodo »

Affirmative Action: Strongly oppose affirmative action based on gender, race, and/or ethnic background.  Would support affirmative action on a socio-economic basis, however.

Abortion: I support the overturning of Roe vs. Wade and Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, and returning the issue back to the states where it rightfully belongs.  Accordingly, I favor the nomination of those justices to create the majority required to overturn the 1973 decision.

Stem-Cell Research: Strongly support using federal tax-dollars to fund embryonic stem-cell research, and lifting the ban on letting laboratories create new lines of embryonic stem-cells.

Gay Rights: Favor overturning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).  Support extending to gay and lesbian couples rights normally restricted to heterosexual married couples, such as hospital visitation, inheritance of estates and other property, among others.  Also support hate crimes legislation, as well as overturning 'Don't Ask; Don't Tell', and allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military, and without harassment for their sexual orientation.  

Sex and Prostitution: Favor comprehensive sex education programs, including accurate and up-to-date information regarding safe sex (condoms, contraceptives, etc.), sexually transmitted diseases like HIV-AIDS, as well as abstinence.  Also favor the legalization of brothels.

Second Amendment: The Second Amendment was intended to be seen as protecting an individual right as with all the other original ten amendments that comprised the Bill of Rights when it was added to the Constitution -given this context it makes little sense to interpret it otherwise.  When it was originally written, 'militia' connoted the entirety of the citizenry, not just a government-created body.  

Accordingly, I support concealed-carry, 'castle-doctrine' laws, and other liberalizing measures.  Needless to say, I strongly oppose gun-bans at any governmental level, be it municipal, state, or national in scope.  However, as with every other amendment, there are limits that must be recognized, and criminals and those deemed certifiably insane by the medical profession should not have access to firearms, and I support measures (e.g. background checks) to that effect so long as the definitions regarding these groups are narrowly construed.  

Drug War: Given the results of the past forty years since the 'war on drugs' was first inaugurated by President Nixon, most dramatically seen in Mexico's increasing likelihood of disintegration as it battles drug lords, I now support ending the 'war on drugs', and instead direct our attention and funding towards prevention and treatment of addicts.  

Election Reform: I support replacing the First-Past-The-Post system with proportional representation with regard to Congress and state legislatures. For presidential elections, I favor having each state assign electoral votes to each presidential nominee based on vote totals they win within each congressional district (similar to Maine and Nebraska), with the precondition that such congressional districts are redrawn not by political parties but by judges within the state they are redistricting.

I also favor replacing our current front-loaded primary/caucus schedule with a Rotating Regional Primary System.

llegal Immigration: I would support full amnesty of the 12 million or so illegal aliens in the United States if we focus first on ensuring that our borders would be secured so as to prevent future hordes of Mexicans and other Latin Americans from coming across the border. I also support significant increases in funding for ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) programs, as well as shifting the emphasis of our immigration policy away from family reunification towards those immigrants who have skills, and are well educated.

Economic issues

Tax Code: Favor a wholesale reform of the tax code geared toward encouraging savings and investment, as well as increasing revenue to pay for the social programs that the American people desire.

Entitlement programs: After long deliberation, I now support President Obama's proposal in reforming the health care system, including a government-supported public health plan.  I support funding his proposal along three main sources: an inflation-adjusted surtax on wealthy households, a tax on health insurance companies, as well as removing congressional authority over Medicare reform & reimbursement rates and shifting that power to an independent panel of medical experts.  To help curb the costs of the program, I also support medical malpractice tort reform so as to cut down on frivolous lawsuits, as well as stripping the health insurance industry of its antitrust exemption.  Ultimately I would like to shift the entire system away from employer-provided health care to one jointly provided and operated solely by the federal government and the private medical insurance industry.  

With regard to Social Security, I favor raising the retirement age to seventy, raising the payroll tax as well as eliminating the cap on it, preserve as well as raise the estate tax, and indexing Social Security benefits to inflation as opposed to wages.  

Minimum Wage: Support raising it and having it pegged to inflation, provided there are provisions made for small businesses who can less afford the higher costs involved than a multinational corporation.

Labor Unions: Strongly support the passage of the Employee Free Choice Act to strengthen labor unions.

Free Trade: Strongly support free trade and I favor the establishment of the Free Trade Area of the Americas.  To encourage sub-Saharan Africa's economic development, I also favor reducing and eventually eliminating farm subsidies throughout the developed world to make their agricultural produce more competitive in our markets.  

Energy Independence and the Environment: To build a more ecologically sustainable society over the long-haul, I favor research into nuclear fusion and hydrogen fuel-cell technologies; increasing investments into alternative renewable energy sources like wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass among others; promoting energy efficiency in government as well as in private industry, using the LEED Green Building Rating System as a model; tax credits for hybrid vehicles; increasing the fuel economy standards for newer vehicles; as well as the expansion of new nuclear power plants, and updating those already in existence (particularly in areas east of the Mississippi, where the only other viable alternatives to power eastern urban metropolises are coal and oil).  The federal government should also increase investments into mass transit programs in urban areas so as to concentrate population growth in those areas.

Am also open to imposing mandatory CO2 emissions limits as well as a carbon tax to combat (anthropocentric) global warming.

NASA -Space Exploration: Strongly support President Bush's initiative to refocus the space agency away from the International Space Station (instead letting private companies and international space agencies fund the ISS upon its completion) and towards the exploration (and hopeful colonization) of the Moon and Mars.  I also support replacing our ageing space shuttle fleet with newer rockets built as part of the Constellation program, and distributing funding accordingly.  I do not support extending the use of our current space shuttles beyond 2010.    

Foreign Policy

Support reshaping our military to better handle the twin challenges of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency, including a major expansion of the Special Forces.  Also support missile defense to guard against rogue regimes threatening our allies, as well as giving the State Department and USAID back the prominence they once had during the Cold War, and reversing the recent trend of turning our embassies and consulates into fortresses instead of beacons of democracy.  

Over the longer-term, the United States is not likely to retain its status as the 'sole, remaining superpower' as this century progresses, and our power will decline relative to the continued rise of new great powers like China, India, Brazil, South Africa, and Iran.  It is therefore to our long-term benefit to strengthen international law and institutions to brace the liberal international order that we heralded into existence after the end of the Second World War, and to make more likely that such rising powers assimilate to the existing order rather than create a parallel system that is not so conducive to the spread of free markets, democracy, and liberal norms.    
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:28:58 PM »

Republican95: your positions on the issues are really not that far off from mine.  If I can fit into the Democratic Party (which I do), then so can you.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2012, 11:27:04 PM by Frodo »

Actually, it's not that interesting. This thread would be more compelling if it consisted of something other than laundry lists of issue positions. You may as well copy-paste your answers from the political matrix quiz, for all the insight that these responses provide.

Originally those where the kinds of answers given, until nickshepDem and Beet started doing a 'laundry list' of their positions on the issues -I believe this was on pages 2 and 3.  From then on, nearly everyone followed suit.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 11:28:05 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2014, 12:22:52 PM by Frodo »

Women's Rights: I support the passage of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, as well as the final ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.  

Gay Rights: I applaud the recent Supreme Court decision striking down Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, and support the Respect for Marriage Act striking down DOMA in its entirety.  Also support the passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.  

Sex: Favor mandatory comprehensive sex education programs, including accurate and up-to-date information regarding safe sex (condoms, contraceptives, etc.), sexually transmitted diseases, and abstinence.  I also support the right to free sexual speech & expression without legal penalties or harassment, and to this end I support the right of women to go topless wherever men are allowed to; public nudity in designated areas; as well as ending censorship of nudity in the media.

Second Amendment: The Second Amendment was intended to be seen as protecting an individual right as with all the other original ten amendments that comprised the Bill of Rights when it was added to the Constitution.  When it was originally written, 'militia' connoted the entirety of the citizenry, not just a government-created body.  

Accordingly, I support concealed-carry, castle-doctrine laws, and other liberalizing measures. I strongly oppose gun-bans at any governmental level.  However, as with every other amendment, there are limits.

With greater freedom comes greater responsibility in using that freedom, and it is in that spirit that I support measures like mandatory firearms training and universal background checks before any gun or permit is issued, to ensure that the unorganized citizens' militia is well-trained and well-regulated.  

Drug War: I support ending the 'War on Drugs' by overturning the Controlled Substances Act, ending mandatory minimum sentencing, legalizing marijuana, and instead direct our attention and funding towards prevention and treatment of addicts.  

Economic issues

Education: Favor adapting the Finland education model to the United States, including a major expansion in after-school tutoring programs as well as universal pre-school education; smaller class sizes; adopting Common Core standards and expanding them beyond math and English; changing the traditional school year to a year-round schedule; and work to ensure that teachers receive the same societal status as doctors and lawyers with attendant qualifications.

Tax Code: In addition to closing tax loopholes, sun-setting the alternative minimum tax, and setting the top individual income tax rate at 40%, I favor tax reforms including cutting the corporate income tax to 25%, and introducing the Value-Added Tax (superseding all preceding sales and use taxes) with the intention of encouraging savings and investment, manufacturing exports over consumption of imports, as well as increasing revenue to pay for the social programs that the American people desire.  

Entitlement programs: I believe the Bismarck model of Germany and Switzerland is better suited to the United States than the Single-Payer system of Great Britain and Canada.  To achieve this goal, I support various measures to improve upon the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.  Among them, I favor federalizing[/url] Medicaid, a single national health insurance exchange, universal (and federalized) childcare, and medical liability reform.

With regard to Medicare and Social Security, I favor raising the eligibility age to seventy, raising the payroll tax as well as eliminating the cap on it, preserve as well as raise the estate tax, and indexing benefits to inflation as opposed to wages.  

I strongly oppose changing Medicare into a premium support plan, or diverting payroll taxes into private retirement accounts subject to the whims of the market.  

Labor Unions: Support the passage of the Employee Free Choice Act, and repealing the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947.

Free Trade: Strongly support free trade, and favor the establishment of the Free Trade Area of the Americas, the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the Trans-Atlantic Trade & Investment Partnership, and the completion of the Doha Development Round of the WTO -as well as a significant reduction of farm subsidies throughout the developed world including the United States.  

Immigration Reform: I fully support the provisions in the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act.

To encourage assimilation, I support significant increases in funding for ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) programs, and streamlining the legal immigration process to make it less cumbersome and more convenient for visa applicants.

I strongly oppose calls by nativists for mass deportations and denying birthright citizenship.  

Energy Independence and the Environment: I support the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, strictly regulating the fracking practices of the natural gas industry, as well as lifting the ban on exporting liquefied natural gas (LNG) and oil, especially to Europe.  

To build a more ecologically sustainable society over the long-haul, I favor research into nuclear fusion and hydrogen fuel-cell technologies; increasing investments into alternative renewable energy sources like wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass among others; promoting energy efficiency in government as well as in private industry, using the LEED Green Building Rating System as a model; tax credits for hybrid vehicles; increasing the fuel economy standards for newer vehicles; gradually eliminating taxpayer subsidies for the fossil fuel and ethanol industries; implementing a carbon tax (superseding existing state and federal fuel excise taxes) to further spur these changes in energy usage; as well as beginning a 'nuclear renaissance' through the building of enough new nuclear power plants, and updating those already in existence so that 50% of our energy needs would be based on nuclear power.

I also support opening Yucca Mountain as a storage site for spent nuclear waste, as well as increasing our capacity for reprocessing spent nuclear fuel so that they can be reused and to reduce the total amount of waste that would have to be sent there.

Transportation: The federal government should also create a national transportation infrastructure for the 21st century comparable in scope to President Eisenhower's Interstate Highway System, with High Speed Rail as its centerpiece, beginning with increasing investments into mass transit programs in urban areas so as to concentrate population growth there.

NASA -Space Exploration: Strongly support President Bush's initiative to refocus the space agency away from the International Space Station (instead letting private companies and international space agencies fund the ISS upon its completion) and towards the exploration and colonization of the Moon and Mars.  I also support reviving the Constellation program; moving manned and unmanned rocket launch facilities HQ from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida to the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico -and distributing funding accordingly.

Foreign Policy

Support the ratification of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.  Advocate cultivating our relations with India through such agreements like the U.S.-India Civil Nuclear Agreement, with the ultimate objective of making India into an ally as special and important to the United States as the United Kingdom and Japan is today.  Support the leasing of bases throughout Southeast Asia (including Subic Naval Base in the Philippines) to counter the growing military power of China, and reshaping our military to better handle the twin challenges of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency, including a major expansion of the Special Forces.  Also support missile defense to guard against rogue regimes threatening our allies.

Democracy-Related Issues

District of Columbia: Support having the non-federal areas of DC retroceded to Maryland as the city of Washington, thereby enabling the residents within to be represented at all levels of government.  

Election Reform: I support mandatory, universal voter registration; and full mandatory public disclosure by all (including independent super PACS like 501(c) and 527 groups) of all political donations and expenditures.  

I also support replacing the First-Past-The-Post system with mixed-member proportional representation with regard to the federal House of Representatives and state legislatures.    

In addition, I advocate eliminating the Electoral College and having the President elected by the national popular vote alone, contingent on Congress and the states ratifying the Right to Vote Amendment.  
-----------------------------------------------

In sum, I consider myself a liberal Democrat, heavily influenced by the 'Third Way' as exemplified by Bill Clinton and Tony Blair.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2024, 07:02:26 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2024, 09:40:55 PM by Frodo »

Democracy-Related Issues

Constitutional Reform: Given the existing presidential system of checks and balances has been found so wanting in an era of ideologically-sorted political parties, polarized politics, and an imperial Presidency verging on creeping executive authoritarianism, I support calling a Constitutional Convention under the guidelines set by Article V of the existing Constitution. The object of the Constitutional Convention would be the writing of a new Constitution declaring we are a federal parliamentary republic with a multi-party system, including the adoption of the doctrine of parliamentary/legislative sovereignty, and moving the nation's capital to a more geographically central location in the Union (preferably somewhere in between Omaha and Kansas City along the Missouri River, but outside the flood plain), both because of rising sea levels, but also to represent a symbolic break with the past, and a fresh start as we fundamentally rewrite our Constitution to shape the future of our federal republic and representative democracy for generations to come.  

Washington, D.C. was built from the wilderness on the backs of slave labor as a brand new capital to break with our colonial past as well as served as a compromise location between the North and South at the time; so similarly will this new capital in the American heartland, in the midst of those who feel alienated from a faraway coastal city, represent a break from the accumulated two hundred years of slavery and Jim Crow that cast an indelible shadow and legacy on the current capital city, and marked the old republic.  Given the immense changes involved with changing from a presidential to a parliamentary democracy, we will need a blank canvas -a tabula rasa- hence a brand new capital with no baggage from the old existing capital city. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least thirty-eight out of the existing fifty states must ratify the new Constitution for it to take effect.

Here are some details I want to see included:

-The House of Representatives would be directly elected via mixed-member proportional representation from each of their respective states, with a 5% electoral threshold for political parties.  House members, who must be at least 25 years old and live as US citizens in the state they represent for at least seven years, can serve multiple four-year terms. The size of the House as a whole shall be determined by the Founders' Rule, and the number of House members directly elected by their respective states is proportional to their state's share of the national population as determined by a constitutionally-mandated decennial Census. The powers of the US House of Representatives in this new system would be equivalent to the Australian House of Representatives.

-The Senate would remain directly elected thanks to the 17th amendment.  Two senators, who must be at least 30 years old and live as US citizens in the state they represent for at least nine years, will be elected from each of their states in staggered, multiple six-year terms.  So essentially the same as it is now, except that the power to filibuster would be removed.  The Senate would have the powers equivalent to the Australian Senate.

-The Prime Minister -who is appointed by the President- would be the head of government and the Cabinet.  He or she must be a member of the political party or coalition that has a majority in the House of Representatives.  The Prime Minister would not have the power to call elections -instead, they would be subject to a default, fixed election date early in November for a general election, which would be once every four years on an even-numbered year as constitutionally mandated.  Election Day would be made a quadrennial holiday to maximize voter turnout and participation.  Unlike in Australia, no one will be required to vote.  States would be strongly encouraged to adopt universal, automatic voter registration, some form of proportional representation for their legislatures, and to hold elections to their legislatures on the same day.

-The President, who must be at least 35 years old and be a US citizen for at least fourteen years, would be the head of state who is elected by a two-thirds majority of both chambers of Congress for a single five-year term, and (not unlike the Governor-General in commonwealth countries) gives assent to all laws passed by Congress, acts upon the advice of the Prime Minister or other Cabinet members, and oversees foreign policy and the national defense.  The Vice-President, who must also be at least 35 years old and be a US citizen for at least fourteen years, would be similarly elected (but can run for multiple five-year terms), and also serves as the President of the Senate.  Following the Indian model, anyone running for President must have either been the Vice-President, Governor, or a member of the Cabinet, and be qualified for election to the House of Representatives.  Anyone running for Vice-President must not hold any office of profit, and be qualified for election as a member of the Senate.  

-The Supreme Court and the federal judiciary would more closely resemble the judicial system of the United Kingdom as stipulated by the Constitutional Reform Act of 2005.  In the event of a vacancy, all judicial nominations made by the President would be screened by a Judicial Appointments Commission not unlike its UK equivalent.  They then would be voted upon by the Senate Judiciary Committee in a closed hearing (and not subject to a public floor vote by the full Senate) to avoid politicization.  At least two-thirds of the committee's votes are required for confirmation.  Judges and justices serve for life.    

-Articles IV, V, and VI, of the existing Constitution would remain unchanged.  I also support incorporating the original ten amendments of the Bill of Rights, as well as the three Reconstruction-era amendments plus the 19th amendment, into a new written Constitution.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Amendment: The Second Amendment was intended to be seen as protecting an individual right as with all the other original ten amendments that comprised the Bill of Rights when it was added to the Constitution.  When it was originally written, 'militia' connoted the entirety of the citizenry, not just a government-created body.  

Accordingly, I support concealed-carry, castle-doctrine laws, and other liberalizing measures. I strongly oppose gun-bans at any governmental level.  However, as with every other amendment, there are limits.

With greater freedom comes greater responsibility in using that freedom, and it is in that spirit that I support measures like mandatory firearms training and universal background checks before any gun or permit is issued, to ensure that the unorganized citizens' militia is well-trained and well-regulated.

District of Columbia: So long as it remains our national capital, I support having the non-federal areas of DC retroceded to Maryland as the city of Washington, thereby enabling the residents within to be represented at all levels of government.  

Women's Rights: If the Supreme Court sends the current Equal Rights Amendment back to square one, we should push for a new (and expanded) version of the Equal Rights Amendment along the lines of the Nevada version, and this time with no deadline for passage.  This should be the wording of the revised resolution text of the federal Equal Rights Amendment:

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States:

"ARTICLE —

"Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, ancestry or national origin.

"Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

"Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification."

Gay Rights: I applaud the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage nationwide, Congress passing the Respect for Marriage Act repealing the Defense of Marriage Act and to ensure the Supreme Court doesn't backtrack, as well as supporting the passage of the Equality Act placing the LGBTQ community under the protection of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, as well as other efforts to ensure that they are accepted as full and equal members in our society.  

Race: Support the passage of the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act to protect the electoral franchise of African Americans and other minorities.  Support ending housing discrimination against racial/ethnic minorities, as well as fixing and preserving Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (instead of scrapping them); ending the abuse of authority by law-enforcement agencies; and ending the 'War on Drugs' beginning with overturning the Controlled Substances Act, criminal justice reform including ending mandatory minimum sentencing, and instead treat the drug war as a public health issue.

Immigration: Support comprehensive immigration reform that includes:
-completing the border wall along the US/Mexico border, as well as adding a virtual border wall to complement it.
-easing the legal immigration process (while reaffirming unrestricted birthright citizenship) so migrants don't feel impelled to fast-track the process by jumping the border, including ending the last elements of the 1924 Immigration Act by eliminating the restrictive immigration quota system once and for all.
-reducing the legal backload in the immigration courts by hiring more judges (plus staff)
- Incorporate the DREAM Act into any immigration reform bill.    

Economic issues

Secondary Education: Favor adapting the Finland education model to the United States, including a major expansion in after-school tutoring programs as well as universal pre-school education; and changing the traditional school year to a year-round schedule for struggling schools.  

Higher Education: Support making community colleges and vocational schools tuition-free, and encouraging prospective college students to fulfill their introductory course requirements in a community college, while subsequently completing their bachelor's and master's degrees in the four years they will spend at a traditional college/university.    

Tax Code: In addition to closing tax loopholes, raising taxes on capital gains and dividends, preserving the estate tax, and setting the top individual income tax rate at 50%, I favor tax reforms including lowering the corporate income tax alongside cracking down on overseas tax havens, and introducing the Value-Added Tax (superseding all preceding sales and use taxes) tied with cash rebates via smart cards for less affluent Americans.

Entitlement programs: I support Medicare Extra for All so that working Americans won't lose their health insurance as well as their jobs.  Until that is achieved, I support ensuring the future of Medicare and Social Security for generations to come (and perhaps even expanding them).  These are the measures I am prepared to support:

-Slow Benefit Growth for Top 20% Of Earners
-Raise Retirement Age to 69 then index to Longevity
-Index COLAs (cost of living adjustments) to "CPI-E", or the consumer price index for the elderly, it being more generous and a better hedge against inflation.
-Tighten Social Security Disability Insurance Eligibility Criteria
-Limit Spousal Benefits for High Earners
-Create Minimum Benefit at 125% of Poverty
-Increase Benefits Across the Board
-Apply the Benefit Formula to Annual Earnings
-Increase Payroll Tax by 0.5%
-Subject All Wages to Payroll Tax
-Cover Newly-Hired State & Local Workers
-Diversify the Trust Fund to Increase Returns

Additionally, I support allowing Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices as well as including long-term care coverage into Medicare and Medicaid, nationalizing Medicaid so it won't be at the mercy of states reluctant to extend coverage to their most vulnerable, introducing the public option into the Affordable Care Act, as well as making the expanded Child Tax Credit permanent.

Labor Unions: I favor the repeal of the Taft-Hartley Act in its entirety, and passage of the Protecting the Right to Organize Act.

Free Trade: Strongly support free trade, and favor the establishment of the Free Trade Area of the Americas, joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership, trans-Atlantic free trade agreements with the European Union and the United Kingdom, and the completion of the Doha Development Round of the World Trade Organization.

Also support transforming the African Growth and Opportunity Act into a free trade agreement.

Energy Independence: I support the federal coal-leasing program; increasing investments into clean coal technology; and strictly regulating the fracking practices of the natural gas industry.  

In addition, I favor expanding research into nuclear fusion; newer forms of nuclear fission technology; increasing investments into hydrogen fuel-cell technologies, and alternative renewable energy sources like wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass among others; better battery storage technology for utilities; rebuilding our electrical grid to make it more compatible with renewables; promoting energy efficiency in government as well as in private industry, using the LEED Green Building Rating System as a model; tax credits for hybrid vehicles; and increasing fuel economy standards for newer vehicles, all the while cutting anthropogenic carbon-dioxide emissions via a bipartisan plan that involves a gradually rising carbon fee and carbon dividends for all American taxpayers.

I also support opening Yucca Mountain as a storage site for spent nuclear waste, as well as increasing our capacity for reprocessing spent nuclear fuel so that they can be reused and to reduce the total amount of waste that would have to be sent there.

Infrastructure: To ensure sustainable economic growth for decades to come, we need to rebuild and expand our infrastructure for the 21st century and beyond.  A key element of that would be the creation of a national infrastructure bank, with a portfolio covering everything from transportation to water/sanitation systems.

Foreign Policy

Advocate a return to the multilateralism and alliances-based system that served us so well during the post-World War 2 era.  Accordingly, I support the ratification of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, a return to the Paris Climate Accord, and World Health Organization among other international organizations and agreements, and an expansion of foreign aid through the Millennium Challenge Corporation.  Advocate nurturing and cultivating our relations with India through such agreements like the U.S.-India Civil Nuclear Agreement, including India under our nuclear umbrella to prevent an out-of-control nuclear arms race as China expands its nuclear arsenal, and the reversal of the 1947 Partition (with the reunification of India with Bhutan, Nepal, and Bangladesh at least), with the ultimate objective of turning India into a formal ally of the United States alongside Japan and the United Kingdom.  

As part of any peace settlement with a post-Putin Russia, Ukraine and NATO should call for Russian reparation payments to rebuild the country, the return of any and all Ukrainian citizens from Russian captivity, the prompt extradition of Russian military leaders for their war crimes trials before the International Criminal Court in the Hague, the expulsion of Russian troops from Ukraine, Crimea, Transnistria, Belarus, and Georgia, the demilitarization of Kaliningrad, and a (truly) free and fair plebiscite for Crimea under United Nations auspices.  Then, and only then, can Russia hope to return to the community of nations and some semblance of normalcy.  

Following the signing of peace terms, I favor expanding NATO eventually to Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, and Belarus (once it becomes a democracy), and moving our bases in Germany and Italy to Poland, Romania, and the Baltic states as part of a broader strategy to counter and contain future Russian revanchism.  Support gradually moving US military units from Okinawa to Guam, Malaysia, and the Philippines, making permanent our naval presence in Singapore, and re-establishing our naval base at Subic Bay near Manila to deter Chinese hegemonic ambitions in Southeast Asia.  Support rebuilding and increasing the size of our navy, the modernization of our nuclear arsenal, expansion of our missile defense system to better protect our allies, and keeping our armed forces on the cutting edge technologically to meet any threat posed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies