Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:33:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 562421 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: August 23, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »

That's probably why he voted for her. Wink

In all seriousness, I wouldn't go that far, but it's a massive stretch to argue that those views fit in better in the modern day GOP than they do in the modern day Dems. Though he'd obviously be catching flack either way.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2018, 02:52:21 PM by IceSpear »

In all seriousness, I wouldn't go that far, but it's a massive stretch to argue that those views fit in better in the modern day GOP than they do in the modern day Dems. Though he'd obviously be catching flack either way.

LMAO

Hillary wanted to increase taxes, supported a more leftist version of Obamacare, increase regulations  and opposed Right to Work

Arguing whether you want a more conservative or more liberal version of Obamacare isn't really that huge of a difference. He obviously doesn't care much about right to work either way since the description was only a single line and he was "conflicted" and only "leaned" in support of it, so I don't see why that would matter.

Taxes and regulations is about all there is that he has substantive disagreements with her on. Compare to the current Republican Party leader who the vast majority of Republican voters worship and the vast majority of Republican politicians enthusiastically support, where he disagrees with them on:

Abortion, same sex marriage, drug laws, gun control, religious freedom, political correctness, euthanasia, environment, immigration, minimum wage, healthcare, free trade, and foreign policy.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »

LMAO

Hillary wanted to increase taxes, supported a more leftist version of Obamacare, increase regulations  and opposed Right to Work

Arguing whether you want a more conservative or more liberal version of Obamacare isn't really that huge of a difference. He obviously doesn't care much about right to work either way since the description was only a single line and he was "conflicted" and only "leaned" in support of it, so I don't see why that would matter.

Taxes and regulations is about all there is that he has substantive disagreements with her on. Compare to the current Republican Party leader who the vast majority of Republican voters worship and the vast majority of Republican politicians enthusiastically support, where he disagrees with them on:

Abortion, Same sex marriage, drug laws, gun control, religious freedom, political correctness, euthanasia, environment, immigration, minimum wage, healthcare, free trade, and foreign policy.

LMAO GOP politicians are more in favor of free trade than Dem politicians. It just that the Tarrif power was handed to the President a long time ago so there isnt much congress can do. Look at the TPP vote from 2015

Foreign policy: Again most GOP politicians are more interventionist than Dems are

Political Correctness: Um Dems favor using government action on this issue, he clearly said he wouldnt support that.

Gun Control: Rick Scott passed similar measures

Drug Laws: Trump himself favors letting the states decide

The vast majority of Republican voters now support tariffs because Trump does. And it's not really worth a damn if Republican politicians say they oppose tariffs but don't do anything about it because they love their strongman god emperor and don't want to risk his wrath. A vote from 2015 isn't relevant to the present day. In case you haven't noticed, Trump has made the GOP sell whatever was left of their soul and principles in exchange for power.

There's really no evidence of that foreign policy claim. It's not 2004 anymore. The god emperor, who again I must stress has the support of >90% of Republican voters, enjoys letting the hellholes destroy themselves and loves cuddling up to Russia and Putin now while bashing NATO and any other American allies.

I guess you missed the "don't be a dick" portion of his political correctness section, which the god emperor and an increasing number of GOP politicians violate on a daily basis.

Rick Scott is a single person. The vast majority of Republicans, including the god emperor, oppose background checks and waiting periods. If they didn't, they would've passed by now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 03:24:06 PM »

^ LOL, IceSpear I think you know you're wasting your time. Tongue  Anyway, this is the last spam I'll drop on this thread:

The bolded is undeniable.  So, it comes down to what I would personally prefer, and even now in the age of Trump, the best Republicans >>>>>>>>>>>>> the least bad Democrats, regardless of how the entire parties shake out.  At least to this RINO.

Yeah, I know I am, lol. But this entire forum is a waste of time, so whatever. Tongue

What's your take on post #1351? Unless I'm missing something here, I can only assume you weight taxes/regulation extremely heavily and everything else very lightly for you to be a persistent Republican in this day and age. I would think that voting for Hillary would've caused you to rethink your party affiliation (not necessarily to become a Democrat, but at least not be a Republican.) Of course, I realize you have historical/non policy based attachments to the party as well, exactly how much do those factor into your decision?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 05:02:51 AM »

Since I don't think I've done one of these before...

Overview:
Social: Left
Economic: Left
Foreign: Centrist, I guess?
Party Affiliation: Democratic

Social Policy:
Abortion: Strongly pro-choice until fetal viability.
Same-Sex Marriage: Strongly support, obviously.
Drug Laws: Legalize marijuana, or at minimum decriminalize it. Treat drug addiction as a medical condition that needs treatment, not a crime.
Death Penalty: Support for particularly heinous crimes where there is no doubt whatsoever that the person is guilty.
Gun Control: Standardize the background check system, close the loopholes, and ban military style assault weapons. I don't support blanket gun bans.
Religious Freedom: Who doesn't support religious freedom? Seems like this is code for something else.
Affirmative Action: Generally support, but it tends to depend on how it is implemented.
Political Correctness: People who are overly politically correct are annoying, but I've tended to notice that most people who complain non stop about "political correctness" are just mad they can't use the N word in public anymore without getting called out for it.
Euthanasia: Strongly support. People should have the right to have a painless and dignified death if they so choose. Nobody should have the right to take their agency away from them.
Prostitution: Legalize it, or at the very least decriminalize it.
Immigration: I support comprehensive immigration reform. Give the Dreamers immediate citizenship, give those already here who aren't criminals a reasonable and non draconian path to citizenship, secure the border. I'd even give Trump his stupid, pointless, money wasting wall if it was included in a comprehensive and reasonable bill. I don't support open borders.

Economic Policy:
Minimum Wage: The nationwide floor should be around $12, indexed for inflation. States/cities with a higher cost of living should be encouraged to raise theirs higher.
Right to Work: Oppose. The decline of unions has had a horrendous impact on the American middle class.
Taxation: Raise taxes for corporations and the super wealthy.
Healthcare: Ideally a Canadian or European style universal healthcare system, but I recognize it will take America a long time to get there, if we ever do. I support whatever steps will expand healthcare in the meantime. Obamacare (particularly Medicaid expansion) was a good start, but we need to go further.
Education: The American education system is abysmal. Our schools are underfunded, our teachers are underpaid, and we're not preparing the future generations with the knowledge and skills they need to be successful. Not only that, we burden our future generations with massive amounts of student debt. Tuition at public colleges should be low cost or free.
Free Trade: No opinion. This has always been the one "major issue" I have little interest/investment in. I've read about it at times and hear convincing arguments from both sides, and haven't fully bought into one or the other.

Foreign Policy and National Security:
I would say I'm a foreign policy realist. I oppose both neoconservatism and isolationism. I think potential and current conflicts should be evaluated on a case by case basis. Diplomacy, sanctions, etc. should always be exhausted before entering into a conflict, but sometimes conflict is inevitable. I support a two state solution for Israel/Palestine. Russia is a hostile adversary that needs to continue to face serious consequences for interfering in our election, and our current president cozying up to Putin and refusing to acknowledge his attacks on our democracy is disgusting.

Environment:
Climate Change: Exists obviously, but I'm a bit of nihilist here. I honestly don't think the status quo is ever going to change until it's too late. Luckily I won't have kids so the potential destruction of the world won't affect me. But the same won't apply to all the rich people destroying the environment for the sake of profits.

Electoral and Political Reform:
Term limits: It's an intriguing idea, but I'm not sure it would do much to fix the problems it professes to solve. I'd be open to hearing opposing arguments on this though.
Electoral College Reform: Abolish the archaic anachronism already.
Voter ID: Support, but only if IDs are free and easily accessible. Otherwise it's an unconstitutional poll tax and/or attempt at voter suppression, so I oppose most voter ID laws in their current form.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies