SCANDAL ! Red Cross doctor in Austria says no to blood donations from Muslims
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:44:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  SCANDAL ! Red Cross doctor in Austria says no to blood donations from Muslims
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCANDAL ! Red Cross doctor in Austria says no to blood donations from Muslims  (Read 877 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »

A Red Cross doctor in Linz has come under fire for claiming that a Austrian Islamic charity should not be running a blood donation campaign as Muslims have 'bad blood'.

The charity IRG Foundation has criticised the doctor who they say told a charity worker that all Muslims at the very least carry Hepititus B in their blood.

(...)

The doctor's position contradicts the stance taken by the Red Cross in Austria last year who approved a similar blood donation campaign from the IRG Foundation.

In response to the recent accusations, the Austrian Red Cross has reiterated that migrants are not excluded from blood donations.

"People with a migration background are welcome to join us as a blood donor at any time," said Michael Opriesnig, Deputy Secretary General of the Austrian Red Cross in a statement.

"I regret the irritation caused by the rejection of these donations at the blood bank in Linz and apologise to all those whose feelings were hurt by this."

http://austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2014-02-14/50485/Red_Cross_doctor_in_Linz_says_no_to_blood_donations_from_Muslims
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »

The article above is quite "extremist" and "racist-sounding".

Actually, the article from the left-liberal Standard newspaper suggests a different motive:

http://dastandard.at/1389860003579/Rotes-Kreuz-lehnte-Blutspende-der-islamischen-Glaubensgemeinde-ab

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The female doctor rejected the blood-donation drive by the Turkish-Muslim group because "there's a higher than normal distribution of Hepatitis-B antibodies in South-Eastern Europe".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:11 AM »

So, the Turkish community is similar to gays - who are also banned from donating blood because they have a higher than normal risk of having HIV ... ?!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »

If you hadn't mentioned the country, I probably would have guessed correctly...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »

If you hadn't mentioned the country, I probably would have guessed correctly...

I would have guessed Switzerland, which is close enough.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »

Going entirely by stereotypes, you would think that Muslims -- circumcised men who remain virgins until the 30s who hold deep taboos against drug use and blood transfusions -- would make far better blood donors than Europeans, especially with respect to a disease like Hepatitis B.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »

Going entirely by stereotypes, you would think that Muslims -- circumcised men who remain virgins until the 30s who hold deep taboos against drug use and blood transfusions -- would make far better blood donors than Europeans, especially with respect to a disease like Hepatitis B.

I doubt the average Muslims male are virgin before he get married, in fact even in the Middle East premarital sex are common, of course in more conservative countries like Saudi Arabia women rarely have part in it, and drug use are more common among Muslims than among Christian or atheist Europeans, simply because it's more acceptable than drinking alcohol.
As for circumcising in the Middle East it's a medical procedure often made by a non medical professional. It raise the risk of hepatitis significant.

Still this is still a sh**tty reason, the risk of an adult married Muslims man or woman to get hepatitis are no bigger than for other Europeans, if you test an adult person and find that they don't have it, the risk of them getting it later are rather low, and I fully understand why the Austrian Red Cross felt it was necessary to apoligise.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »

I doubt the average Muslims male are virgin before he get married, in fact even in the Middle East premarital sex are common, of course in more conservative countries like Saudi Arabia women rarely have part in it, and drug use are more common among Muslims than among Christian or atheist Europeans, simply because it's more acceptable than drinking alcohol.
As for circumcising in the Middle East it's a medical procedure often made by a non medical professional. It raise the risk of hepatitis significant.

Still this is still a sh**tty reason, the risk of an adult married Muslims man or woman to get hepatitis are no bigger than for other Europeans, if you test an adult person and find that they don't have it, the risk of them getting it later are rather low, and I fully understand why the Austrian Red Cross felt it was necessary to apoligise.

The doctor stereotyped Muslims, not just Middle Easterners or migrants. The claim was over broad.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 06:30:45 PM »

The doctor stereotyped Muslims, not just Middle Easterners or migrants. The claim was over broad.

If you read my second part you will see that I argue the doctor is an idiot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies