Mandatory Voting in the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:40:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Mandatory Voting in the United States?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Mandatory Voting in the United States?
Yes
No
Indifferent
Undecided
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Mandatory Voting in the United States?  (Read 4659 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »

What would be your opinion of mandatory voting in the United States? You either vote, or you pay a significant fine.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »

No
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »

No, that would add even more problems with our system. We would force people to vote who are significantly more uninformed about politics than the voting public, therefore we would end up with an even more misleading result.

Now there is an argument that says if we make it mandatory it would force people to become informed about politics. But I don't think it would, it would just make many people vote for one candidate based off one issue or one instance. (I realize much of the voting public does this, but do we want to increase this??)

It is their choice to vote, and if they don't then that's their loss.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:46:16 PM »

Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »

No, that would add even more problems with our system. We would force people to vote who are significantly more uninformed about politics than the voting public, therefore we would end up with an even more misleading result.

Now there is an argument that says if we make it mandatory it would force people to become informed about politics. But I don't think it would, it would just make many people vote for one candidate based off one issue or one instance. (I realize much of the voting public does this, but do we want to increase this??)

It is their choice to vote, and if they don't then that's their loss.

Living in the only nation where voting is compulsory, I can tell you that compulsory voting does NOT make people more informed about politics - for a significant portion of Australians, it seems to do the opposite.

This is based on my experiences with what other people have told me, while most of my family, and some of my friends and acquaintances care enough to vote properly, the remainder are more or less apathetic to voting and politics.

I'm also not fond of having to number EVERY box on the ballot paper.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2014, 10:09:11 PM by Edu »

Living in the only nation where voting is compulsory

?

In regards to the question, well I don't really care that much, voting takes so little of my time that I don't mind going to vote even if I hate every single candidate. But that's here, I don't know what impact would it have in the USA. On principle I guess people should be free to avoid voting if they want.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 10:07:45 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2014, 10:23:31 PM by Frodo »

No -this might go over better in places like Australia, but here it would never fly.  

I would be more amenable to automatic voter registration however.  And that is more within reach -though still unlikely, at least in the short-medium term.    
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »

Living in the only nation where voting is compulsory

?

In regards to the question, well I don't really care that much, voting takes so little of my time that I don't mind going to vote even if I hate every single candidate. But that's here, I don't know what impact would it have in the USA. On principle I guess people should be free to avoid voting if they want.

My apologies, I thought Australia was the only nation with compulsory voting, however, all Australian citizens are required to vote, it doesn't become non-compulsory after a certain age, like in Argentina.

I think a better phrase is Australia is the only nation with compulsory preferential voting, applicable to all citizens aged 18 and over. Singapore is similar, but the voting age is 21, not 18.

Just out of interest, what voting system is used in Argentina?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 05:57:28 AM »

I've supported compulsory voting for a long time, but I recognize that will never happen here. Our efforts at increasing electoral awareness and making voting accessible are utterly pathetic, regardless.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »

No.  I want the uninformed shlubs who don't care to stay at home.  Thx.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »

I fully support mandatory voting everywhere.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »

Lean against. Although it would still be better than the crazy system of voter registration that exists now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »

What penalty do you propose for those who don't vote if it's mandatory?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

You could get a moderate fine after the 2nd missed vote, gradually increasing as you miss more elections.

Of course, mandatory voting would also imply making voting much easier, through stuff like early voting, mail voting, universal registration, etc.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 11:02:56 AM »

No, it's a finely formed American tradition to be apathetic.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »

You could get a moderate fine after the 2nd missed vote, gradually increasing as you miss more elections.

Of course, mandatory voting would also imply making voting much easier, through stuff like early voting, mail voting, universal registration, etc.

It might be PC to say, Tony, but the poors (black and white) are the vast majority that don't vote.  So fine them?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »

I'm all for making voting easier and ensuring that every voter is automatically registered, but I don't believe mandatory voting would suddenly lead to greatly increased political awareness. And if someone doesn't know or care enough to vote despite it being easy and accessible, I doubt him doing so would benefit the political system.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »

It might be PC to say, Tony, but the poors (black and white) are the vast majority that don't vote.  So fine them?

That's a very valid concern.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »

It might be PC to say, Tony, but the poors (black and white) are the vast majority that don't vote.  So fine them?

And I meant it might NOT be politically correct to say.......sorry.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »

Huh? Tea Partiers always vote. Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »

Huh? Tea Partiers always vote. Wink

Amen, brother.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »

And I meant it might NOT be politically correct to say.......sorry.

Yea, I know what you meant; I wouldn't expect you to be PC Tongue. I still think it is an interesting issue.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »

Yes, I do have some moral qualms about fining people who can barely afford it (though obviously, in my ideal society, poor people would be better off than IRL even with such fines). That said, I assume most people wouldn't pay anything, since the possibility of being fined would be a sufficient incentive to go vote (I'd also support sending every first-time nonvoter a mail warning them of the consequences of subsequent abstentions).

And if someone doesn't know or care enough to vote despite it being easy and accessible, I doubt him doing so would benefit the political system.

I disagree with that. Anyone, regardless of their competence or interest in politics, should be able to express their voice in the democratic process. This is the very basis of democracy. We can certainly envision a system where only the politically engaged participate, but the problem is that these people would be unfit to represent the interest of the disenfranchised masses (precisely because political commitment is highly correlated with wealth and other forms of privilege). We need all the people to vote, because they all have a stake in policy and nobody can legitimately speak for another.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »

No.  Already elections are popularity contests based on money.  That would only make it a bigger problem, and we'd likely get even worse politicians if the completely uninterested/uninformed become purchasable voters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies