SENATE BILL: Troubled Teen Protection Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:47:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Troubled Teen Protection Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Troubled Teen Protection Act (Law'd)  (Read 2426 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:55:59 AM »
« edited: March 08, 2014, 12:07:52 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: TyriontheImperialist for Devin
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:56:45 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to begin advocating for this.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »

Sounds pretty solid to me.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »

Can we have a definition of a troubled teen camp, I feel camps will try to say they are such a camp.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:44:41 PM »

Can we have a definition of a troubled teen camp, I feel camps will try to say they are such a camp.
I survived one and I would be happy to tell you. A troubled teen camp is a place you can send your kids to reform them. They (supposedly) try to make you into a model citizen through hard work.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »

I'm not totally opposed to this but the wording of the bill needs to be improved. "Proper reasons" is far too vague for example.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »

I introduced this on behalf of Devin, and I certainly think it's a worthwhile discussion. We may need to tighten up the wording in parts, but I do think we should pass something close to this. Devin can probably articulate better than I why this is a good idea, but I'll say that "troubled teen camps" which attempt to "reform" inherent traits are sheer lunacy and tantamount to child abuse.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:34:05 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2014, 12:40:08 AM by Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin »

Thank you for letting me address you Senators. To expand upon what Tyrion has said these camps are like torture. Your parents are encouraged not to tell you, for fear that you will run away. Then you are basically kidnapped in the dead of night, and you are not permitted to bring anything, or tell anyone. If you resist you can legally be tazed. Once we arrived we were cramped into over crowded bunks, and given one change of clothes per week. For your first year you are not aloud to go to the bathroom on your own. If you didn't listen to the councilors you could be denied food for up to five days. If you treated prisoners of war like that, you would be guilty of war crimes. You were only aloud to call your parents, and if you say your unhappy, phone privileges are taken away for a week. All of your letters are read, and packages are destroyed in front of you. If you are deemed a "problem" they take you and the others like you into the wilderness. They make you go on walks until you practically collapse from exhaustion. One girl passed out on some rocks and was severely burned. We treat serial killers and pedophiles better than that! I implore you Senators pass this bill! Thank you and Dave bless.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 01:26:26 AM »

I hope we can prevent teens from being forced to go through the sort of experience that Devin did.  At the same time, not all camps that deal with troubled teens are like this, so we ought to narrow our focus.

We can't base legality of sending a person to a camp on whether or not they are born with a condition. There's no definitive list of what is or isn't inherent, and genetics interacts with environment and experience so a clean separation is impossible anyway.  Plus, just because a difficulty comes out of a genetic predisposition doesn't mean there is no treatment or possibility of change.   Was I born with OCD?  I don't know, but it isn't usually relevant to how to deal with it.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »

I hope we can prevent teens from being forced to go through the sort of experience that Devin did.  At the same time, not all camps that deal with troubled teens are like this, so we ought to narrow our focus.

We can't base legality of sending a person to a camp on whether or not they are born with a condition. There's no definitive list of what is or isn't inherent, and genetics interacts with environment and experience so a clean separation is impossible anyway.  Plus, just because a difficulty comes out of a genetic predisposition doesn't mean there is no treatment or possibility of change.   Was I born with OCD?  I don't know, but it isn't usually relevant to how to deal with it.
So what do you propose Senator?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »

So what do you propose Senator?

I'm thinking about that. Maybe there is something we can do based on already existing human rights international law.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »

I would hope that the situation Devin describes is currently prohibited by state and/or Federal law and that someone is one their way to a maximum security facility where they will unfortunately be treated with far more civility then their victims were. I seem to recall a certain, rather excessive form of execution I once recommended a few years back involving hanging but not with rope. Wink

I like section 2, but I think we need to do some work on section one. At the very least we need clarification of the terms "troubled teen camp" and "proper reasons" as stated by GAworth and DC, as well as guidelines for the doctors to follow in regards what they may consider "necessary", in the absence of which could such could vary and lead to arbitrary and varying reasons for people being sent to a camp.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »

I would hope that the situation Devin describes is currently prohibited by state and/or Federal law and that someone is one their way to a maximum security facility where they will unfortunately be treated with far more civility then their victims were. I seem to recall a certain, rather excessive form of execution I once recommended a few years back involving hanging but not with rope. Wink

I like section 2, but I think we need to do some work on section one. At the very least we need clarification of the terms "troubled teen camp" and "proper reasons" as stated by GAworth and DC, as well as guidelines for the doctors to follow in regards what they may consider "necessary", in the absence of which could such could vary and lead to arbitrary and varying reasons for people being sent to a camp.
Sadly no the camp was in Utah which has almost no regulations. And the camp owner is a close relative of the new Utah AG. Politics is wonderful isn't it? Anywho could we amend the bill to say you cant be shipped to a camp for being gay? Or listening to the wrong kind of music etc etc?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 08:27:41 PM »

What is current international law on this subject since the Senator mentionedi s as a possible guidepost?
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »

What is current international law on this subject since the Senator mentionedi s as a possible guidepost?
International law does not apply to them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »

I was thinking in terms of using the rights accorded to prisoners in the Geneva Convention, not specifically that there had been international law on this issue.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 11:34:39 PM »

I was thinking in terms of using the rights accorded to prisoners in the Geneva Convention, not specifically that there had been international law on this issue.
I guess we could do that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »

International law does not apply to them.

As I stated, it was recomemnded as possible guidepost for standards we can use to draft federal statute.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »

So when can we expect some amendments here?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »

I'll have something tomorrow.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 06:09:41 PM »

Whats time frame looking like on that man?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:26 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2014, 02:58:18 PM by shua »

amendment:

Edited for a strikethrough I forgot to format.  Hopefully Devin can support it with this change too.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 01:13:41 AM »

amendment:

I support this 100%
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »

Why the limit on personal effects?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »

Friendly, but I echo Talleyrand's concern
Pages: [1] 2 3