MA: Mideast Audit Resolution of 2014 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:45:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Mideast Audit Resolution of 2014 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA: Mideast Audit Resolution of 2014 (Failed)  (Read 869 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
« edited: March 13, 2014, 11:41:32 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: TheRileyKeaton
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »

What exactly is the concern that you have that we are currently wasting money?  What exactly are we doing that is wasteful now?
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »

What exactly is the concern that you have that we are currently wasting money?  What exactly are we doing that is wasteful now?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »

I'm curious about this myself. I agree with the principle behind the bill, but it seems unnecessary to do at the moment.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:43 PM »

Is there any debate in support of this?  If not, I fail to see why we should support it.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:01:09 AM »

I hadn't seen this come up.

It creates a system that keeps any wasteful spending in check.

Most government waste isn't passed by the Legislature. It commonly occurs in the implementation phase of a legislation's life. An agency needs to train their employees to enact the legislation and they get a little frivolous. The GAO in the real world exists to curb frivolous spending. It's not going to be a budgetary game-changer, but it's smart policy and build public confidence in government.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »

Well a resolution would do nothing to actually change anything.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:06:29 AM »

Getting the executive branch to perform regular audits, because that power lies with the executive branch(in WV at least), will give us a nice list of spending to cut when we write a budget. It gives us a basic level of spending reduction before every budget.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:09:19 AM »

A resolution can't compel the Governor to do anything.  Only a bill requiring him to do that would.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:10:57 AM »

We can't very well compel the Governor to do audits, if it's similar to my real life state laws, so a resolution is the best way to say, "This is what the Legislature wants."
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 01:17:13 AM »

We can't very well compel the Governor to do audits, if it's similar to my real life state laws, so a resolution is the best way to say, "This is what the Legislature wants."

We can require that the Mideast Government perform audits; I would argue that falls within our legislative power.  If you disagree, we could always amend the Constitution.  But I see no point to pass a fluff resolution.

While I was never supportive of the Questioning the Power Act, it was never struck down as unconstitutional and that surely had more potential erosion into "Executive Power" than this bill.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 01:18:34 AM »

We can require that the Mideast Government perform audits; I would argue that falls within our legislative power.  If you disagree, we could always amend the Constitution.  But I see no point to pass a fluff resolution.

While I was never supportive of the Questioning the Power Act, it was never struck down as unconstitutional and that surely had more potential erosion into "Executive Power" than this bill.

If you think we're able to force audits, I'll rewrite this into a legitimate bill.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 01:21:30 AM »

If you think we're able to force audits, I'll rewrite this into a legitimate bill.

I think it would be constitutional; however, I'd like to see a GM analysis to see if it would actually save any money.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:43 AM »

I think it would be constitutional; however, I'd like to see a GM analysis to see if it would actually save any money.

Okay, I'll redraft it. And, even if it breaks even, it's good policy. Jon Huntsman always talks about the "trust deficit" people have with government, this helps resolve that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »

Okay, I'll redraft it. And, even if it breaks even, it's good policy. Jon Huntsman always talks about the "trust deficit" people have with government, this helps resolve that.

And if it doesn't break even?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 01:53:53 AM »

And if it doesn't break even?

Scrap it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »

I see no need for this at the present time, to be honest.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 01:40:34 AM »

It's not about "at the present time", it's about long-term accountability.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »

Neither do I.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 07:13:50 PM »

But it clearly mandates an immediate audit. I'm all for responsible budget policies, but I think the Mideast is in pretty good shape.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 06:51:34 AM »

But it clearly mandates an immediate audit. I'm all for responsible budget policies, but I think the Mideast is in pretty good shape.

We don't know about implementation spending, at the moment. It worth setting a precedent and just checking everything out. We don't know the current state of wasteful spending. Good be none whatsoever or it could be rampant. This body does not know.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »

Can I get a feeling of where people are on this?  I see no need for it, and thus no need to wait for a new GM to get the analysis.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »

I see no need, but am not fundamentally opposed. I think I'll abstain on the final vote.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »

I don't particularly see a need for it
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 02:38:50 AM »

Well, it seems pointless to wait around for Griffin, who likely won't review this anyway, so let's just bring it to a vote.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies