NFL draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay--UPDATE: signed by Dallas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:35:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NFL draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay--UPDATE: signed by Dallas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: NFL draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay--UPDATE: signed by Dallas?  (Read 7837 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »

In order for this to affect his draft stock, all 32 teams, or at least almost all of them, are going to have to care.  I doubt that's the case.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »

The NFL is homophobic especially compared to other sports...

You sure about this?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:20 AM »

Brave kid.  That said, we need help on defense.  We'll take him if he's good!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 09:56:47 AM »

The NFL is homophobic especially compared to other sports...

You sure about this?

I would say than NHL is more, with all those Eastern Europeans.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »

Even if you don't care about sports, this is really important.  Sports is so important to American culture that events like Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier and Magic Johnson announcing his HIV diagnosis actually matter to how many people see the world.  Sports and especially the competitive professional leagues has been an anomaly in terms of homophobia and hopefully this can begin breaking that down.

And, as a gay NFL fan, I hope this encourages more gays to take an interest in the NFL.  We only have 3 gay sports bars in NYC and none of them are any good.

Gays can get into the NFL for the same reason that WWE is so popular with them. Tongue
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/09/michael-sam-monday-morning-quarterback/

There are some progressively minded franchises in the league...New England, Philadelphia, maybe Pittsburgh who wouldn't blink to take him if he fit and was available (and was the best fit available when they picked) but a lot of teams would be fearful of him or the media he would attract.

I don't want to draw too many comparisons to say Tebow as his qb skills weren't great but the media circus associated with him surely turned off a bunch of teams to that first round pick.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »

You have to wonder how many teams already have a gay players in their locker rooms that are open with their teammates but not known about publicly. I would imagine there are a few. For those that think the story would get out, remember that Sam came out to his teammates last year and the story didn't come out until he wanted it to. I think there's a degree of common respect for those boundaries.

It's also worth bringing up that sportswriter Mike Freeman reported last year that three NFL players were planning to come out at the same time (including one apparently "major player" or something) but the plan fell apart. Perhaps we'll see that soon.

Even if you don't care about sports, this is really important.  Sports is so important to American culture that events like Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier and Magic Johnson announcing his HIV diagnosis actually matter to how many people see the world.  Sports and especially the competitive professional leagues has been an anomaly in terms of homophobia and hopefully this can begin breaking that down.

And, as a gay NFL fan, I hope this encourages more gays to take an interest in the NFL.  We only have 3 gay sports bars in NYC and none of them are any good.

Gays can get into the NFL for the same reason that WWE is so popular with them. Tongue

ugh
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2014, 11:27:06 AM by Acting Pac. Gov. DemPGH »

Good for him. Knowing full well that a lot of people will pass him up, I think whoever gets him will get a smart guy who plays hard and who will be willing to work even harder knowing the prejudice he is up against in many quarters.

Shows how times are changing that he came out to the locker room before the season!

Sounds about right to me. I know he wouldn't fit in anywhere in the AFC North! Stay out of those places. I can only imagine how the fans in Pittsburgh would treat an openly gay player. Oh, my. And also probably anywhere that has a divided locker room and so forth, which you will not find at any of those places mentioned by the scouts. 

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »

He's a cutie patootie Smiley And he has a good backstory, too:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »

A Shame this is even newsworthy.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2014, 02:31:02 PM by Midwest Governor windjammer »

Michal Sam is courageous and I respect his decision but he's simply: CRAZY. He should have waited for his draft before coming out, it could like cost him his carrier...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »

Michal Sam is courageous and I respect his decision but he's simply: CRAZY. He should have wait for his draft before coming out, it could like cost him his carrier...

He values his personal life more than his career. He's not crazy. I wish more people would do the same.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »

Patriots owner Bob Kraft voiced support for Sam, gay players in NFL, stating that it's "good for America":

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »

This thread would be so cray if jmfcst were around Sad
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/02/report-michael-sams-nfl-draft-stock-will-drop-after-announcing-he-is-gay/

And of course, not one of the NFL executives was willing to identify themselves publicly. Fortunately, Michael Sam is more courageous than that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 03:26:22 PM »

This thread would be so cray if jmfcst were around Sad

I envision the jfmtcs wondering why he bothered going public.  Hear no evil, see no evil. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »

Michal Sam is courageous and I respect his decision but he's simply: CRAZY. He should have wait for his draft before coming out, it could like cost him his carrier...

Everyone already knew.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »

Everyone already knew.

Everyone was going to know, to be more correct.  Questions were swirling around, phone calls being made to the team, his agent, etc.......but not everyone knew.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »

Martin Luther King, Jr. is courageous and I respect his decision to boycott the bus system in Montgomery but he's simply: CRAZY. People aren't ready for a change yet.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »

Everyone already knew.

Everyone was going to know, to be more correct.  Questions were swirling around, phone calls being made to the team, his agent, etc.......but not everyone knew.

By everyone, I mean every team.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »

Everyone already knew.

By everyone, I mean every team.

Sorry, buddy.  It wasn't clear to me.  Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

He values his personal life more than his career. He's not crazy. I wish more people would do the same.

It might cost him some bucks if he slips a round, but he's far likelier to get a workplace environment he can live with by doing this before the draft.
Link
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »

Sports is so important to American culture that events like Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier and Magic Johnson announcing his HIV diagnosis actually matter to how many people see the world.

No... not even close to Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier.  Gay hyperbole is really getting out of hand.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »

Yeah, I would say the media going totally berserk is sad. All over ESPN right now is, "OMG a gay player!!! History being made!!! What about his future?!" and all the requisite b.s. I mean, oooookay. Maybe it'll demystify or de-taboo the whole thing. IDK, I. Just. Don't. Care that much. If this guy can make plays, draft him now.

There have been lots of gay players, but I guess no one knew about it.

If Sam's locker room accepted it and kept it amongst themselves, it's cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies