OK restaurant won’t serve ‘freaks,’ ‘f*ggots,’ the disabled, welfare recipients
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:33:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  OK restaurant won’t serve ‘freaks,’ ‘f*ggots,’ the disabled, welfare recipients
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: OK restaurant won’t serve ‘freaks,’ ‘f*ggots,’ the disabled, welfare recipients  (Read 2991 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »

Well, My restaurant will only be serving freaks, f*ggots, the disabled and welfare recipients. They are my favourite kind of people
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »

Im fairly sure hes violating several federal laws and probably state.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »

Let me be clear: This restaurant owner is in no way representative of the fine people of the City of Enid or the State of Oklahoma.  This man can serve who he wants to serve and is protected under the first amendment, but in no way would I ever eat there.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »

Correction:  She is retired, not on disability.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »

Let me be clear: This restaurant owner is in no way representative of the fine people of the City of Enid or the State of Oklahoma.  This man can serve who he wants to serve and is protected under the first amendment, but in no way would I ever eat there.

I don't think his speech is protected, and I'm pretty damn sure he can't turn away customers for whatever bigoted reasons he likes.

Anyway, I hope he gets sent to prison, has to survive by becoming a prag, and gets permanently injured so he cannot work and must subsist on welfare. I also hope a disabled shemale buys his business and turns it into a mosque.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »

I don't think his speech is protected, and I'm pretty damn sure he can't turn away customers for whatever bigoted reasons he likes.

Anyway, I hope he gets sent to prison, has to survive by becoming a prag, and gets permanently injured so he cannot work and must subsist on welfare. I also hope a disabled shemale buys his business and turns it into a mosque.

Benghazi
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »

This is Oklahoma. We walk on our legs. If you wanna live here, learn it.

I'm Tim James and I approve this message.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »

Its Oklahoma, so what can you expect.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

Well, I'm fairly certain the Civil Rights Act and the Americans With Disabilities Act say otherwise. But when have facts ever stood in the way of Okies doing as they please?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »

This reminds me of when Rand Paul said he didn't agree with the parts of the Civil Rights act that applied to private businesses. He felt that saying "whites only" was just part of the free market and the guvment had no right to stop freedom loving people like this d-bag from being d-bags. He later 'revised' his comments to say he would have voted for the civil rights act. But it is clear that there is a strain of people who really do think that people do have a right to operate discriminatory businesses.

And of course in OK refusing to serve gays is perfectly legal...and if you pay attention to the Governor, it seems it is encouraged.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »

Benghazi

I.. I cannot counter that. I concede defeat to you, good sir.

*shuffles away, ashamed, head downcast*
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »

This reminds me of when Rand Paul said he didn't agree with the parts of the Civil Rights act that applied to private businesses. He felt that saying "whites only" was just part of the free market and the guvment had no right to stop freedom loving people like this d-bag from being d-bags. He later 'revised' his comments to say he would have voted for the civil rights act. But it is clear that there is a strain of people who really do think that people do have a right to operate discriminatory businesses.

And of course in OK refusing to serve gays is perfectly legal...and if you pay attention to the Governor, it seems it is encouraged.

The fact that this man has been so blatant about doing this for such a long time and yet he remains in business and doesn't seem to have a problem attracting customers is a pretty damning indictment of the "fine people of the City of Enid." Sorry, Bushie. But I don't think any decent person can patronize that kind of establishment without implicitly condoning his views and behavior.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »

Shut the restaurant down, throw him in jail.

A little extreme? I mean, aside from a few very offended people, what harm has he caused (financial, reputational or physical)?

What harm does discrimination ever cause to anyone?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 06:20:06 AM »

The worst, as usual.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »

A little extreme? I mean, aside from a few very offended people, what harm has he caused (financial, reputational or physical)?

Hurt feelings. If that was a crime, we'd all be in jail.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »

That's the case if only a few businesspeople are idiots.  If they all are, or they are all more fearful of losing the custom of idiotic customers, then the inability to get a good or service anywhere would cause harm.  That's why Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was needed when it was passed.  It's less clear it's needed now, but if there were more bozos like this one, it would be.  I wouldn't mind seeing Title II repealed, if only to allow closet racists to come out of the woodwork, with the understanding that if it it did prove to be needed it would be reenacted.  On the other hand, it's generally not a burden to comply with Title II, so repeal isn't something I would even propose if I were in Congress as there are plenty of more urgent things for Congress to attend to.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 10:51:21 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_stress
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 11:09:07 PM »

The fact that this man has been so blatant about doing this for such a long time and yet he remains in business and doesn't seem to have a problem attracting customers is a pretty damning indictment of the "fine people of the City of Enid." Sorry, Bushie. But I don't think any decent person can patronize that kind of establishment without implicitly condoning his views and behavior.

Those who visit his establishment are condoning, in that I agree with you, but that doesn't define the entire city of Enid.  This story was on our local NBC affiliate out of OKC and there were many snide remarks against that man.  The response was about as vicious as you would think it should be.  He is a marked man in Oklahoma and people are about to file Civil Rights complaints and lawsuits against him.  I'm confident he won't be in business much longer.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 01:22:55 AM »

Why, yes, that is the sort of thing a white person would say.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 01:33:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure discrimination caused more than hurt feelings.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »

Now, while I do agree that this guy seems like an utter and absolute joke, the statement you made on it's actual grounds seems to really understate the effects of discrimination.  We had a Civil Rights movement for a reason, after all.  Discrimination has had a damning effect on this nation, on both non-white and white people.  I'm sure if your Catholic cousins were alive in 1892, they certainly wouldn't feel welcomed by the general society of the time that would view them as papist criminal scum.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »

Sadly, assholes like this aren't confined to Jokelahoma.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://consumerist.com/2014/02/10/homophobe-restaurant-owner-shouldnt-be-surprised-his-eatery-now-touted-as-best-gay-club-on-yelp/

“I thought this place was going to be cheap. But it was the all male review night and I had to whip out all my singles. Despite the lovely views and even lovelier men my burger had way [too] many sesame seeds. So I have to give it a 2 stars.”
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »

Now, while I do agree that this guy seems like an utter and absolute joke, the statement you made on it's actual grounds seems to really understate the effects of discrimination.  We had a Civil Rights movement for a reason, after all.  Discrimination has had a damning effect on this nation, on both non-white and white people.  I'm sure if your Catholic cousins were alive in 1892, they certainly wouldn't feel welcomed by the general society of the time that would view them as papist criminal scum.
The Civil Rights Movement was an effective and necessary solution to a problem that plagued its time. This type of blatant discrimination existed long before the 1960s and will exist long after. The only difference is that society is much more tolerant, and places run by jokes like this tool are one in a million. I don’t see why taxpayer money should be used to fight the legal battle needed to shut down his dump. Racism doesn't end. It didn't end with the Civil Rights movement, and taking away an assholes business won't solve any problems.

Why, yes, that is the sort of thing a white person would say.
Way to contradict yourself.

I'm pretty sure discrimination caused more than hurt feelings.
In the 1960s, when a black man would be beaten and murdered for trying to enter an establishment like this, sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_stress
Cool. I'm stressed out because I have been trying to build relationships with certain classmates and seem only to be scorned. Should I have them thrown in jail for "stressing me" out?

It is sad that we live in a country where black men are afraid of the police. Its sad that we live in a country where an unarmed teenage African American male wearing a hoodie can be gunned down in the streets. Those are problems in America, not some tool in a trailer park. All I am reading about this incident is pearl clutching; why don't we tackle the institutionalized racism of the war on drugs and the military instead?

Link
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:38 PM »

This man can serve who he wants to serve and is protected under the first amendment...

The irony of this being posted during Black History Month is amazing.  I wonder from time to time whether there is a need for a Black History Month... thanks for reminding me why we have it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies