Urban Maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:40:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Urban Maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Urban Maps  (Read 16504 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: February 05, 2014, 05:08:48 AM »

Nice.  How did you draw the blank SOA map?

Here are some Sheffield (ward level, which is nearly as crude as in Brum) maps I posted some time ago:

Starting with housing tenure (NB using the "persons" figures, not the households ones):

Total "owned".

Total "social rented".  Fairly predictable patterns here (big inter-war council estates in the wards with the highest figures, lowest figures in the south-west).

Total "private rented".  Spot the students.

Here are education levels in Sheffield.  These are percentages of over-16s.  None of the patterns are very surprising though they're quite striking.

First, no qualifications.

Next, "Level 3" qualifications (but not higher).  This basically means university entrance level, which of course means what students tend to have.

Finally, degree level.

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:35:50 PM »

Here's a Street View of some semi detached houses.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:29:50 AM »

A present for nostalgic Tories:

... and a more normal election on the same ward boundaries:

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »

A lot of patterns very similar to Birmingham, but note that area in the south east of the city with very high figures for detached homes is a predominantly working class area.

That's the Mosborough Townships.  They're essentially a bit like a New Town, but built contiguously with older areas of the city and with the city boundaries extended to include the area.  Much of the development was in the 1980s.  On the maps I posted earlier, they show up as having high levels of owner occupation but low levels of degree level education.  Politically, they're usually Labour, but not as safe as the rest of east Sheffield: the Lib Dems won Mosborough ward in 2008, and the Tories have occasionally threatened to come close in Beighton.  (Threatening to come close in a ward is about as well as they do in Sheffield these days.)

The area in the west of the city where "purpose built flat" is dominant is definitely down to purpose built student housing.  I think the "flat in converted house" category is student dominated, too.

As in Brum the "terraced" category includes both Victorian/Edwardian bylaw housing (and slightly larger terraced villas) and some more recent council housing.  The areas south-east of the city centre will be the latter, otherwise more the former, especially in the inner west of the city.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »

Are you going to do the housing type maps for Bristol? It'd be interesting to see how different it looks; in particular I'd expect the flat in converted house category to have more territory.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »

I meant to ask this ages ago, but what do you, as someone from outside the area and with an interest in that sort of thing, think of Park Hill?  It can be quite a controversial issue in Sheffield...
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »

As a building I love it, must admit. As a social project I take the view that it ultimately failed but because the political, social and economic grounds on which it was built fell away rather than because it was seriously misconceived: Park Hill only became a sh!thole after the economy of Sheffield collapsed at the same time as the residualisation of council housing (i.e. the early 1980s). Many of the problems with 50s/60s high rise housing were consciously averted by those that planned Park Hill, which is why what eventually happened counts as a tragedy. I'm highly ambivalent about recent developments.

On the face of things, the controversy is mostly concerned with recent developments; in particular cutting funding for the project is one of the Lib Dems' proposals to save some money which could then be used to maintain council funding for all the libraries.  (I haven't been able to find out what the Lib Dems want to do instead.  It's a Grade II* listed building, so demolishing it shouldn't really be on the agenda, and I'd hope they don't want to leave an enormous derelict hulk overlooking the city centre.)  I think there's also some room for debate about whether the refurbishment that's been done so far is sufficiently faithful to the original design.  (Personally I think it probably is, though it looks very different.  But I'm not an architect.)

However, I think a lot of the attitudes to the refurbishment are connected to attitudes to the building in the first place.  My own view has become more positive since making an effort to understand the design and the context which produced it, though I'd still struggle to say that I like it...
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 02:58:50 AM »

Surviving back to backs presumably counted as terraced in West Yorks?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 05:12:15 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2023, 05:29:06 PM by YL »

Reviving this thread for some 2021 census maps of Sheffield by ward:

Housing tenure, with social rented, then owned (I combined the with and without mortgage categories) and private rented:

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 05:14:03 AM »

No qualifications:

Level 4 qualifications and above (i.e. degree level)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 05:15:10 AM »

Christianity:

Islam:

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 05:21:06 AM »

The Census divides people's occupations into nine categories.  Note that these are proportions out of those in work, so students (at least those who don't also have jobs) and the unemployed and retired are excluded.

"Managers, directors and senior officials"

"Professional occupations"

"Associate professional and technical occupations"

"Administrative and secretarial occupations"

"Skilled trades occupations"

"Caring, leisure and other service occupations"

"Sales and customer service occupations"

"Process, plant and machine operatives"

"Elementary occupations"
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 01:20:01 PM »

Some vaguely similar maps of Leicester, which has local elections this year which may get some attention.  NB the scales (with one exception) aren't the same as in the Sheffield maps, as the cities are different enough that custom scales for one tend not to work very well for the other.

First, religion:

"No religion"

Islam

Hinduism

Christianity

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 01:21:31 PM »

Tenure in Leicester:

Social rented

Owner occupied

Private rented
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 01:22:42 PM »

No qualifications:

Level 4 qualifications:
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 01:26:11 PM »

Occupation categories in Leicester.  I've only done four of the categories here: the two most middle class ones and two which are very heavily represented in the city.

"Managers, directors and senior officials":

"Professional occupations"

"Process, plant and machine operatives"

"Elementary occupations"
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 01:32:36 PM »

This isn't exactly an "urban" map, though it does contain three (rather different, as will be obvious from the map) places with city status.

Professional occupations in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough in the 2021 census:

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 04:32:45 AM »

Two more occupation categories for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough

Managers etc.

"Elementary occupations"

It's not surprising that Cambridge and Peterborough look very different, but they do.  Also, Wisbech really stands out in these maps; note that several of those wards were actually unopposed Tory wins in the last Fenland council election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies