Amanda Knox
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:20:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Amanda Knox
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you think she's guilty of murder?
Guilty

Not Guilty

I have no opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Amanda Knox  (Read 1435 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »

I can't imagine anyone not knowing who she is but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Knox
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »

Possibly, but not beyond a reasonable doubt. So "not guilty" is the correct verdict.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »

Possibly, but not beyond a reasonable doubt. So "not guilty" is the correct verdict.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:03:10 AM »

Not guilty.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:37:05 AM »

I don't have an opinion either way on this, but why do you think she isn't guilty? 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 12:41:30 AM »

I don't have an opinion either way on this, but why do you think she isn't guilty? 

She seems nice.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 01:07:48 AM »

The killer was obviously Rudy Guede
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »

She seems nice.

Furrow seemed nice too... that doesn't mean too much.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:04:52 AM »

Strange case and hard to tell what exactly was going on (use your imagination), but there is more than enough reasonable doubt to acquit her. The manner in which she was treated by the Italian police and government up to the present increases my sympathy for her. She is now just being harassed.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »

hot (normal)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 01:37:47 PM »

If there if was a case where someone could be both guilty and not guilty this is it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:30 PM »

I'm no expert in extraditions but why in God's name would we send her back since her conviction was overturned and Italy let her leave?  You get one go around in these parts, and just because that's not the case in Italy, it doesn't force us to comply with their request, assuming one is forthcoming.

Treaties are always subject to interpretation and I think our Justice Department should seriously frown on any requests it might get.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »

I voted not guilty, but obviously I don't really know one way or another. 

Tough case.  The United States makes more extradition requests than any other country in the world.  If we want others to continue to hand over those we want, then we have to play ball in their courts by their rules as well.  If I were her, I'd go on an extended vacation in some country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Italy.  Seek refuge, even, and residency there.  The US government could covertly set this up and supply funding for a nice life for her, under the radar, in exchange for her silence.  She'd just disappear, and it would look like she's a fugitive.  The US could issue a press statement saying that they tried to extradite her but she ran away.  Everybody wins. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »

I voted not guilty, but obviously I don't really know one way or another. 

Tough case.  The United States makes more extradition requests than any other country in the world.  If we want others to continue to hand over those we want, then we have to play ball in their courts by their rules as well.  If I were her, I'd go on an extended vacation in some country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Italy.  Seek refuge, even, and residency there.  The US government could covertly set this up and supply funding for a nice life for her, under the radar, in exchange for her silence.  She'd just disappear, and it would look like she's a fugitive.  The US could issue a press statement saying that they tried to extradite her but she ran away.  Everybody wins. 

I don't know if we'll sanction it, but yeah, "wink, wink, nod, nod.......have a nice life."  If you believe yahoo answers there are over 160 countries without an extradition treaty with Italy.  Lots of places for Foxy Knoxy to go live a nice life.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »

San Marino isn't on that list.  She could live there and stick her tongue out at them every day, except that in San Marino THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH.

Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »

San Marino isn't on that list.  She could live there and stick her tongue out at them every day, except that in San Marino THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH.

Smiley

Cheesy
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:27 PM »

It's kinda BS that Italy allowed her to be tried again after her acquittal.  For this reason, surely we won't extradite her, right?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »

It's kinda BS that Italy allowed her to be tried again after her acquittal.  For this reason, surely we won't extradite her, right?

One would hope we won't.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »

Surprised people thinks she isn't guilty. Changed her story repeatedly and falsely accused an innocent guy. She may just be an ordinary liar, but it seems more likely than not she did it.

Agree with Franzl about reasonable doubt, though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »

Shocking as this may seem to you, but not all countries share America's legal system or its legal traditions.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 09:16:58 PM »

Shocking as this may seem to you, but not all countries share America's legal system or its legal traditions.

Roll Eyes  Because I was totally under that impression...

Anyhow, our European allies routinely refuse to extradite people to the U.S. who would face the death penalty because that would violate their principles. Therefore, I see no reason why the U.S. should extradite a victim of double jeopardy, which violates our principles.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »

Roll Eyes  Because I was totally under that impression...

Anyhow, our European allies routinely refuse to extradite people to the U.S. who would face the death penalty because that would violate their principles. Therefore, I see no reason why the U.S. should extradite a victim of double jeopardy, which violates our principles.

Exactly, Harry.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »

Well, the Italian system is completely different than the U.S. system, and the alleged "double jeopardy" is not as extreme as the media portrays it.  Knox was convicted, and then acquitted by the appellate court, but this acquittal was overturned by the Court of Cassation.  It's not like she was acquitted by the jury and the prosecutor said, "let's try again"; the Court of Cassation found that he appeals court erred in overturning her conviction.

There's no good reason not to extradite her; the U.S. knew how the Italian legal system works when we entered our extradition treaty with the country.  If we're unhappy with the possibility of something like this (which certainly isn't a miscarriage of justice), we should end the treaty, not make exceptions for convictions some may doubt.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 11:39:11 PM »

This is the "justice" system that decided a woman couldn't be raped because she was wearing jeans. nuff said.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 01:25:04 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2014, 01:27:07 AM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

This is the "justice" system that decided a woman couldn't be raped because she was wearing jeans. nuff said.

That's oversimplifying it quite a bit.  The court never said that defense applied to all cases.  The point of that case was that the appellate court had not given enough evidence to uphold the sentence, pointing to the jeans as one issue out of many.

EDIT: It also specifically pointed out that they were "very, very tight jeans", not just "because she was wearing jeans".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies