Bachelor party hijinks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:45:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Bachelor party hijinks
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bachelor party hijinks  (Read 441 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:04:52 PM »

Of the readings in the Revised Common Lectionary for 22 January 2014 (Wednesday after the Second Sunday after Epiphany), I chose to reflect on Matthew 9:14-17.

Bachelor party hijinks

This is one of the Synoptic passages that with but minor difference appears in all three Synoptic gospels. (Mark 2:18-22 and Luke 5:33-39 are the other two versions.) It begins with Jesus being asked why his disciples do not fast while those of the Baptist fast, as do the Pharisees. Jesus replies enigmatically that one celebrates while the bridegroom is present but that his disciples will fast when the bridegroom is taken from them.  He then introduces two brief parables pointing out the folly of patching a old garment with new cloth and of pouring new wine into old wineskins which can be taken as examples of how his new ministry need not be the same as previous ministries.

I'm a little surprised this reading wasn't saved for Lent since this is an instance of Jesus foretelling his fate.  However, the readings of this week have focused on the disciples of Christ. Considering that focus, the choice to have this reading now makes sense. I see a lesson here is that like the disciples of Christ, we should not be ashamed if we take delight in religion. Indeed, religion should be a blessing, not a burden.  If the church or sect you now have is a burden to you, either find a way to make it a joy, or find another that will be a joy.  Not that enjoyment is the sole measure of religion, but it is a necessary component if we are to incorporate faith into our everyday selves.

(Note: There is more I could say on this passage, but I won't just yet. As mentioned, this is a synoptic passage and the corresponding passage from Mark will be among the readings for next year, and the one from Luke for the year after that.  Assuming I persist with my intentions, I need to save something for then.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies