Opinion of hunting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:03:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of hunting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Opinion of hunting  (Read 767 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »

I personally not a fan of hunting, ending an animals life is wrong, and immoral.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:52:53 PM »

Freedom Sport. I personally would not like hunting, and I don't like killing animals, but I don't mind those who do.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »

Love it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »

FS, obviously
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:59:12 PM »

Usually I have my qualms about hunting animals that can't fight back, but when it comes to eradicating introduced species, like wild boar (and I am speaking from the North American perspective), I say go for it.  
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »

Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »

Usually I have my qualms about hunting animals that can't fight back, but when it comes to eradicating introduced species, like wild boar (and I am speaking from the North American perspective), I say go for it.  

Wild boar is a huge problem down here, there are now farms that produce citrus only, that now are selling wild boar meat.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »

If you regulate hunting and make sure people comply with wildlife management principles, I see no problem with it.  Hunting is a cultural activity for many people and it's certainly no worse than slaughtering a farmed animal.  And, just in general, the idea that it's inherently wrong to kill an animal seems very silly to me.  

That said, I've gone hunting once and I found it extremely boring.  Plus, there are usually guns involved so it's potentially dangerous.  There are so many activities I would rather do than hunt.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »

I have never been hunting, and I don't plan to, but it's still a FS.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 08:27:34 PM »

FF, most likely wouldn't do it.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »

I don't honestly care for it, and I see the veneration for hunting and guns in the US a little bit disturbing, but eh, it's none of my business.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »

Ridiculous and pointless, not to mention immoral.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »

If animals were not to be part of our diet, God would not have made them so tasty. Wink  I doubt I'd ever tke up hunting myself, but I see nothing wrong with it.  Frankly, there are far more ethical problems with factory farming than with hunting.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »

Completely horrible sport.  Would only do it if I were starving.  How anyone can get a thrill out of killing animals is beyond me.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »

I enjoy it, but not enough to do it regularly.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2014, 10:39:01 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

I don't understand how people enjoy this, but then again I am a soulless vegan, and I think it's immoral.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 10:32:13 PM »

I've been deer hunting with my girlfriend's brother a few times. It's not my cup of tea. Too much tramping around the woods in crappy weather. That said I don't have any moral qualms about it. It's like stamp collecting in my eyes; a boring hobby.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »

Freedom Sport
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »

Never been, but I'd like to try.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 06:51:44 AM »

opinion
You must be logged in to read this quote.
that doesn't even make sense...unless you think EVERY hobby people have is pointless
how?

I don't hunt myself, boring, don't own a gun and nobody I'm close to does it.  I can understand not liking it, can understand people thinking killing animals is wrong (but only if the person making that claim is a vegetarian of some flavor).  Right now the white tail population is kept in check, for cheap, by hunters.  Outlaw hunting and the outlawers better be willing to pay to go out there and put condoms on the deer that would soon clog our roadways with their rotting bodies (not to mention the many more humans that will die in vehicles colliding with them or the millions we'll have to spend fixing our broken cars).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »

No opinion. I wouldn't do it (seems fairly boring) but I have no issue with people doing it so long as it's properly regulated (quotas, no hunting endangered species, etc.).
Link
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 09:45:42 AM »

Lol.  Strange thread.  The overwhelming consensus is the sport is undesirable but yet it is a "FS" and should be allowed to continue.

That said I don't have any moral qualms about it. It's like stamp collecting in my eyes...

Collecting tiny pieces of paper is the same thing as shooting a living breathing creature in the face?!  That is borderline sociopath man.

I can understand not liking it, can understand people thinking killing animals is wrong (but only if the person making that claim is a vegetarian of some flavor).

Even slaughterhouse workers avoid getting assigned the job where they have to do the actual killing.  Even people that kill animals for money find the practice disturbing.  It's a normal human reaction... assuming you aren't sick in the head.  If you spend time around real hunters there is a lot of tradition and ritual that surrounds it.  It probably evolved and persists to help people deal with the psychological fallout of what they are doing.

The other problem with that false meme is slaughterhouses are designed to kill animals quickly.  They are not designed to hit the animal with a single arrow and let it drag itself for hours around the wilderness until it bleeds out.

Right now the white tail population is kept in check, for cheap, by hunters.  Outlaw hunting and the outlawers better be willing to pay to go out there and put condoms on the deer that would soon clog our roadways with their rotting bodies (not to mention the many more humans that will die in vehicles colliding with them or the millions we'll have to spend fixing our broken cars).

Kinda makes you wonder how white tail deer existed before rifles and highways were invented.  As with the wild boar issue these are all man made problems.

I am of two minds about hunting.  It certainly has issues but there are much bigger fish to fry.  Hunting is dying a slow death in America away.  This thread is proof of that.

I am not for outlawing hunting but the casual manner in which people are discussing killing animals is disturbing.  And yes I have been hunting on multiple occasions.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:19 PM »

Welcome to a political message board.

that doesn't even make sense...unless you think EVERY hobby people have is pointless [/quote]

Fair enough. Most hobbies are pointless, but I see what you mean.

how?

I don't hunt myself, boring, don't own a gun and nobody I'm close to does it.  I can understand not liking it, can understand people thinking killing animals is wrong (but only if the person making that claim is a vegetarian of some flavor).  Right now the white tail population is kept in check, for cheap, by hunters.  Outlaw hunting and the outlawers better be willing to pay to go out there and put condoms on the deer that would soon clog our roadways with their rotting bodies (not to mention the many more humans that will die in vehicles colliding with them or the millions we'll have to spend fixing our broken cars).
[/quote]

I believe it's immoral to kill animals for fun (not talking about food here). Is that so hard to fathom? It's barbaric. It's scary to think someone could enjoy ending the life of an animal. I can understand doing it out of necessity, but to enjoy it? Yikes.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »

I don't understand how people enjoy this, but then again I am a soulless vegan, and I think it's immoral.
I find it immoral to systematically remove all natural predators of an animal and then further destroy the ecosystem by letting the prey populate out of control.

We're the main predators of various animals now to keep their populations managed lest they ruin the forests.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies