Office of Former President and Gov. DemPGH
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:30:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Former President and Gov. DemPGH
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Author Topic: Office of Former President and Gov. DemPGH  (Read 23680 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I disagree with you. I consider that the quality of the Assembly is much more important than the need of competitive elections.
Competitive elections should be for senate seats, governor/lieutenant governor seats, president/vice president seats. People should start their political career at the Assembly,this  is the best for showing the potential of Atlasians!
Quality is more important that competitivity according to me. And 6 seats wouldn't be too much, given how many members a  Midwest-Pacific region would have.
In order to improve competitivity, the best would be to incitate people to run for office, not to reduce the number of offices.
And the Midead elections are competitive after all. And they have 5 seats, one governor/ one lieutenant governor, whereas us, with my plan, would only have one governor/one lieutenant governor and 4 seats, despite the fact that the confederation would have more members than the Midwest.
Then, your 1-3-1: I agree with you that all seats shouldn't be held at the same time but the problem with your plan is that all seats wouldn't have the same difficulty for being elected, and that is a problem. And don't forget it's a confederation, not a merge, so the Assembly elections should represent this conception!

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »

I've generally been of the opinion for some time now that the less offices the better, since it increases competition, but you do raise an interesting point in that partisanship might lead to inactive offficeholders being elected regardless. It's tricky.
Well, and if there is a problem, the number of seats can always be lowered. But I'm confident there won't a problem like that. The problem was that the Pacific had 5 representatives for 25 members. 3 seats were more appropriate. But with the confederation, we would have 56 seats, so I don't think there would be a problem if we let people from the Pacific run in the Midwest and vice versa.

And what do you think about the first part of my last post oakvale please? It interests me to have your opinion.

I haven't got any particular problem with the staggered elections. It works for the Senate after all.

It works, but I'm not sure that it's the best way of doing things. I think our elections would be a lot more exciting if the entire Senate were on the line every couple of months.
Yeah I agree with this
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »

The 1-1-3 plan is just a bad arrangement, and I do think 7 is too many.  2-2-1 seems to be the best choice.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »

The 1-1-3 plan is just a bad arrangement, and I do think 7 is too many.  2-2-1 seems to be the best choice.
Don't forget the Confederation would have 57 members.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »

One part of which is having extreme difficulty electing three members.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »

But the other part: no. So just let people run everywhere Smiley.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »

I thought you were advocating 2-2-1? 5 At-large seats is systematically different.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »

I thought you were advocating 2-2-1? 5 At-large seats is systematically different.
Ii was advocating 3-3-1. But people from the Midwest could seek a seat in the Pacific, and vice versa.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2014, 04:39:02 PM by Comrade Governor DemPGH »

I support five members for this joint legislature - how it is configured won't be a deal-breaker for me. The more at large seats there are the greater the flexibility; the fewer at large seats the more equilibrium. I think flexibility is the best for the long-term (like what Oakvale suggested).

There will have to be one functioning governor; it really couldn't work with two governors unless one of the governors became something else, like a Lt. Gov. who might operate the voting booths.

What's the simplest workable solution with regard to the constitutions and the magistrates?  
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »

I support five members for this joint legislature - how it is configured won't be a deal-breaker for me. The more at large seats there are the greater the flexibility; the fewer at large seats the more equilibrium. I think flexibility is the best for the long-term (like what Oakvale suggested).

There will have to be one functioning governor; it really couldn't work with two governors unless one of the governors became something else, like a Lt. Gov. who might operate the voting booths.

What's the simplest solution with regard to the constitutions and the magistrates? 

This won't be a merge, more a confederation. 3 at large seats won't work, as I pointed out:
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2014, 04:42:23 PM »

I suggest having only 6 at-large seats and the major party or coalition shall have the right of electing the Speaker. This would be the best. Even so, I would prefer an outright unification but this is not possible.

Anyway, we could be bold over here! Maybe we should have a Regional Based Parliamentary System inside Presidential Atlasia. That would be funny. We shall have a symbolic elected Governor that signs decision made on "The West House of Commons" and we shall have a Western Prime-Minister. That would be pretty nice Cheesy
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

And with your plan, a Lieutenant Governor that would break the ties. That's exactly what I want to do, (speaker=president pro tempore). The only differerence would be the importance of the president pro tempore/speaker.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »

Ii was advocating 3-3-1. But people from the Midwest could seek a seat in the Pacific, and vice versa.

"Seeking a seat in the Pacific/Midwest" is an empty phrase if anyone in the Confederation can do it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »

Dear People:

Only wanted to make the announcement that I will not run for a full term as Pac. Gov. in April. I've mentioned it to a few people privately, but I just want to go ahead and get it out there.

I would ideally like to take a break from legislating and politics, and if we had more of a legal eagle community here, I would definitely do something along those lines, like open a law review or even a law journal, but I don't see that that would serve any real purpose. We'll see, though. Or, once I'm no longer governor I could help with the Wiki if it's needed.

If I do stay involved in Pacific politics - if - it will be for the purpose of keeping the region moving and little more. Which has kind of been my approach anyway!

X PGH
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »

You're a great governor DemPGH, I hope you will stay involved.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »

I can think of at least one job that you were very good at that may be open soon...
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »

I can think of at least one job that you were very good at that may be open soon...

"Legal eagle!"
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2014, 05:52:55 PM by Comrade Governor DemPGH »

Hey, thanks, guys! I appreciate it. Smiley

I do give myself some credit here - we got the 4th Const. through, amended it to clarify a quirk, and we secured the stimulus. I think we've got a new crop of folks who can push the region forward, although I do think we need to have a serious conversation about the tenability of the five region format.

And I do endorse Flo.

I'm "hooked," so I don't plan on leaving unless the RL load just gets too heavy. I'll be around, just less and more. Tongue And if I ever get too ambitious, someone hit me on the head.

We'll see. But ahh, my friend, we have heard the chimes at midnight! (Means, "We've seen our share of the action!")
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2014, 09:26:09 PM »

We'll see. But ahh, my friend, we have heard the chimes at midnight! (Means, "We've seen our share of the action!")

Impossible!

You both have been around two years tops. Far too short to be hanging your hat up and spending your days reflecting on "the good times".
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »

Dear People:

I hereby declare a state of emergency in the Pacific due to worsening drought conditions.

I have been advised that the Drought Mitigation Act of 2011 may now kick in to provide relief to our distressed farmers.

And for the love of everything that it is good, let's make sure that our vineyards and our winemakers are taken care of!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »

As crisis manager I'm earmarking all funds necessary from the stimulus package for drought relief.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »

As crisis manager I'm earmarking all funds necessary from the stimulus package for drought relief.
Oakvale, if one day, I declare a state of emergency in the Pacific. Will you be the crisis manager too? This position exists?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »

Oakvale, if one day, I declare a state of emergency in the Pacific. Will you be the crisis manager too? This position exists?

I was appointed by the President to oversee the stimulus for the Pacific (and to their credit the Governor and legislature have been very diligent in what they're spending money on so far). It's not a permanent position by any means.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »

If someone needs a project manager, I can appoint someone for them. I appointed Oakvale during the stimulus and Save the Pacific project/debate so I could strengthen my grip on this countryhave eyes on the ground there to make sure things were going well.

Hopefully the Midwest won't need a project manager!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »

No. It's specific to the Pacific's activity problems. It's otherwise very, very unconstitutional, as we've all discussed. But things have proceeded very well and all has been great!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies