Hunting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Hunting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: How do you feel about animal hunting?
Not my thing, but nothing against it

It's wrong but I wouldn't outlaw it

Hunting is good

Hunting should be illegal

Other/Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 8079 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2005, 10:08:37 PM »

Not a common political topic, at least to my knowledge.  I'd say Option 2, with restrictions: no hunting threatened or endangered species, and you'd need a license.
Thats the way it is now!

Option 1 for me. I like guns and target shooting, but hunting doesn't interest me.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2005, 04:19:15 PM »

Option 3. I've done it before, and enjoyed it, though I haven't gone in a few years.

I'm not a big fan of things like baiting, however. Seems kinda like cheating to me. I wouldn't support it being illegal, I just don't think it's 100% ethical.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2005, 04:45:21 PM »

Opebo, you gotta admit that was perfect.  and perfectly hilarious. 
Look at the setup line.  They don't come any better. 
Anyway, don't be sore at him.  I wish I'd thought of it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2005, 04:57:42 PM »

Hunting is good if practiced by 95% of the people who do it.  The rest should be thrown in jail, mainly for leaving an animal carcass in the woods, not using the meat, shooting more than allowed, etc.  Hunting is a big thing where I am, and is quite fun.  Something everyone should try one time at least.

There are several species who are useful for nothign other than puting their heads on the living room wall, providing what I see as a great piece of decoration.

Such as...

Lions, for instance. If you want something a little closer to home maybe wolves or prey birds.

Such animals have meat on them.

Carnivores' meat is generally not good.
Cashcow

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2005, 04:59:59 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2005, 05:06:06 PM by Cashcow »

He isn't sore, which he said, until Alcon decided to delete his post for whatever reason he could come up with on that day.

But I digress, so I'll ask a question: What's the fun in killing animals?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2005, 05:04:21 PM »

I wouldn't know.  Actually, as long as we're doing opebo, it makes a nice segueway.  Opebo often claims that work is no fun.  For the sake of argument, let's assume that's true.  The the question becomes unfair, doesn't it?  I'd be out there chasing that mammoth with the rest of the clan's adult males, but I'd not understand it to be fun, but only the means by which I make my living.  I chose option one, though, it's a hard argument for me to make.  But, for the sake of argument, let's further assume I chose option 3.  Then it is easy to argue that your question is unfair.  Clearly, we are simply making a living, we don't consider it fun, and it is good.  Good, for sure, since we ensure our survival by hunting.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 05:56:29 PM »

Oh I do - I have to admit it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the forum.  I'm not sore. 
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2005, 06:16:39 PM »

I come from a family of hunters so it's pretty much an instinct Wink

I'm not a big fan of things like baiting, however. Seems kinda like cheating to me. I wouldn't support it being illegal, I just don't think it's 100% ethical.

Same here. If you hunt you should do it the right way. You should also use all the remains you can as some mentioned before.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2005, 06:50:22 PM »

I've never been hunting, but people should be allowed too. Although shooting guns can be very fun.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2005, 08:06:56 AM »

I love shooting, and my father hunted when I was growing up in Texas. I however think it is really gross.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2005, 03:40:07 PM »

gross as in bloody and distasteful?  I'd imagine that would be the case as well.  my parents grew up in hunting country as well, northern minnesota.  they all hunted back in the 40s and 50s.  I've never actually hunted, but I've fished.  I was born on Galveston island and lived there for the first few years of my life.  Not too much hunting there, as you'd imagine, but lots of fishing.  Fishing is kinda gross, as well, but fish are tasty.  Not as tasty as pigs, but tastier than cuy. 
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2005, 04:53:58 PM »

gross as in bloody and distasteful?  

Yea, thats what I ment. I also like to fish.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2005, 01:53:10 AM »

Option 4 for me. Should only be done in extreme cases like preventing over-population, and special cicrumstances like First Nations people.

If someone tries to call me a hypocrite because I eat meat, somehow I dont think it is possible to "hunt" cattle hogs and chickens.   Those animals have been domesticated for human consumption anyways.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2005, 08:21:15 AM »

Option 4 for me. Should only be done in extreme cases like preventing over-population, and special cicrumstances like First Nations people.

If someone tries to call me a hypocrite because I eat meat, somehow I dont think it is possible to "hunt" cattle hogs and chickens.   Those animals have been domesticated for human consumption anyways.

Wow, not only do you hate justice but you despise a persons right to hunt.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2005, 09:14:48 AM »

What about the rights of the animal?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2005, 09:16:53 AM »

Um, what? Animals have no rights.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2005, 09:24:49 AM »

There are laws against animal cruelty

Sections 444 to 447 of the Criminal Code (see Appendix) deal with the mistreatment of animals. These sections describe offences that involve killing, maiming, wounding, injuring or endangering cattle (444); or other animals that are kept for a lawful purpose (445); or more generally causing unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal by any means (446); or causing unnecessary suffering by various specific acts, such as baiting an animal, transporting an animal in an unsafe manner, releasing a bird from captivity for the purpose of being shot, and neglecting to provide adequate food, water, shelter or care (446). Section 447 concerns the keeping of a cockpit.

http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/cons/caa/#Part%20Two
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2005, 09:27:26 AM »

Sections 444 to 447 of the Criminal Code (see Appendix) deal with the mistreatment of animals. These sections describe offences that involve killing, maiming, wounding, injuring or endangering cattle (444); or other animals that are kept for a lawful purpose (445); or more generally causing unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal by any means (446); or causing unnecessary suffering by various specific acts, such as baiting an animal, transporting an animal in an unsafe manner, releasing a bird from captivity for the purpose of being shot, and neglecting to provide adequate food, water, shelter or care (446). Section 447 concerns the keeping of a cockpit.

Those are Canadian laws, not American.  Animal have no rights other than the ones we give them.  I'm personally not losing any sleep over going hunting or God forbid, eating venison.  Hopefully, you don't either.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2005, 09:40:17 AM »

Those are Canadian laws, not American.  Animal have no rights other than the ones we give them.  I'm personally not losing any sleep over going hunting or God forbid, eating venison.  Hopefully, you don't either.

And we give them rights. In the USA we have similar laws, there's some stuff you can't do to an animals.

Jake, just answer this extremly hypothetical question. Let's say a monster race takes over earth, 20 feet tall, huge, with a working brain and ability to communicate, though you can't understand them. Should they now have the right to hunt you down and kill you, for either food or fun?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2005, 09:42:45 AM »

Jake, just answer this extremly hypothetical question. Let's say a monster race takes over earth, 20 feet tall, huge, with a working brain and ability to communicate, though you can't understand them. Should they now have the right to hunt you down and kill you, for either food or fun?

They have the power. It obviously doesn't make an ounce of difference what I think about it.  If they can hunt me down, that's the way it is.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2005, 09:43:03 AM »

Akno. That law is related to domesticated animals first off.

The funny thing is that law says :

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yet a woman in Florida is being starved to death? Why should animals get better treatment then human beings?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2005, 09:44:49 AM »

Yet a woman in Florida is being starved to death? Why should animals get better treatment then human beings?

I don't want her to be starved. If you're going to take her off the feeding tube, then just kill her. But please don't say this is an excuse for relaxing animal laws.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2005, 09:46:07 AM »

I don't want her to be starved. If you're going to take her off the feeding tube, then just kill her. But please don't say this is an excuse for relaxing animal laws.

It is though.  Humans should be treated at the very least, above animals. If humans are treated like this, I should be able to starve a dog to death.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2005, 09:52:20 AM »

And we give them rights. In the USA we have similar laws, there's some stuff you can't do to an animals.

How can you idiots think an Animal as more rights that a Living Fetus.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2005, 10:25:15 AM »

It is though.  Humans should be treated at the very least, above animals. If humans are treated like this, I should be able to starve a dog to death.

No, two wrongs don't make a right. Make one law tougher, not the other one lighter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies