Whom is the GOP going to target more in the next few elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:42:40 am
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Whom is the GOP going to target more in the next few elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: well?
minorities (specifically Asians and Hispanics)

moderate Eisenhower voters

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Whom is the GOP going to target more in the next few elections  (Read 1280 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:54 pm »

Well?
Courting Hispanics would help in states like Florida, Texas, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Nevada, While courting moderates could help in New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:04:05 pm »

Eisenhower voters? I think Republicans already have the 75+ demographic locked up. Tongue

They seem to have doubled down on the "missing whites" strategy, so I'm guessing they won't target minorities unless they lose in 2016 as well.
illegaloperation

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06:41 pm »

Eisenhower voters? I think Republicans already have the 75+ demographic locked up. Tongue

They seem to have doubled down on the "missing whites" strategy, so I'm guessing they won't target minorities unless they lose in 2016 as well.
I couldn't have said any better.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:11:17 pm »

That would surely hurt them in the long term.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:17:30 pm »

Well?
Courting Hispanics would help in states like Florida, Texas, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Nevada, While courting moderates could help in New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

Hispancis and moderates aren't mutually exclusive, you know. If the GOP moderates in general, they'll win both.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:19:54 am »

Actually, age 75+ is getting into people who remember the New Deal, so I would expect them to be more liberal than 60-75 and IIRC there have been polls showing this.  The 80+ demographic in particular voted for Obama outright in a Florida 2012 poll I remember seeing, with 65-80 being overwhelmingly Romney.

This should also serve as a warning to Dems that the Millennial boost won't last forever.  Those who will turn 18 in 2016 weren't old enough to understand the Iraq war.  And for the 2020 cohort, the financial crisis likely meant "Santa won't be coming this year" which is very different from the 2008 cohort's "I don't/won't have a job."
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:54:15 am »

Wow, voting is tied!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »

Rather few Eisenhower voters are alive today.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:40:28 pm »
« Edited: January 13, 2014, 05:04:23 pm by outofbox6 »

The GOP would probably benefit from courting Hispanics in these states:
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:53:12 pm »

Both.

They're going to target asians and latinos for deportation.

They're going to target Eisenhower voters for reverse mortgage scams and overpriced gold investments.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »

The GOP would probably benefit from courting Hispanics in these states:

Actually, It'd help in quite a few more states than that.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 07:22:07 pm »

They will try to  max out their white share of vote hope to 60+ against Hillary Clinton good luck with that. The "missing white voters" myth is easier for them to believe because in their mind they won't have to pander minorities and accept things like immigration reform in order win there are "missing votes" out there to save the day.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 06:36:45 pm »

Most Eisenhower voters are dead....so that just won't work for them.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:47 pm »

They need both.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 07:03:57 pm »

Time is the most important factor, especially for Hispanics. That group is only going to get wealthier and more economically stable in future generations, which most likely means a more conservative impulse.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 11:23:26 pm »

Hispanics in my opinion. They are probably the most conservative out of all of the minority groups. Maybe Asians are second.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 01:06:08 am »

Time is the most important factor, especially for Hispanics. That group is only going to get wealthier and more economically stable in future generations, which most likely means a more conservative impulse.

There will be some GOP gains with time and economic growth, but it probably won't be dramatic.  Consider New Mexico, where the Hispanic community has deep roots and includes relatively few recent immigrants.  Obama still got 65% of Hispanic voters there in 2012 based on exit polls.  Of course, people from Hispanic families that have been in NM for 100 years might not identify as Hispanic for the exit poll, but Obama also got 64% of the Catholic vote.

Now if they could find a way to win both 35% of Hispanic voters and 65% of white voters, that would be enough to win well into the 2020's.  This is why I think SoCon candidates will make a comeback, but this time they will be Catholic rather than Evangelical.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 01:13:21 am »

There will be some GOP gains with time and economic growth, but it probably won't be dramatic.  Consider New Mexico, where the Hispanic community has deep roots and includes relatively few recent immigrants.  Obama still got 65% of Hispanic voters there in 2012 based on exit polls.  Of course, people from Hispanic families that have been in NM for 100 years might not identify as Hispanic for the exit poll, but Obama also got 64% of the Catholic vote.

Now if they could find a way to win both 35% of Hispanic voters and 65% of white voters, that would be enough to win well into the 2020's.  This is why I think SoCon candidates will make a comeback, but this time they will be Catholic rather than Evangelical.
That rings Marco Rubio.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:26 pm »

If they were smart they would target moderates, which will bring minorities in.

Asians and Hispanics are trending with the general population on big social issues like gay marriage, abortion, birth control, civil rights.
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 02:38:29 am »
« Edited: January 26, 2014, 02:42:34 am by hopper »

There will be some GOP gains with time and economic growth, but it probably won't be dramatic.  Consider New Mexico, where the Hispanic community has deep roots and includes relatively few recent immigrants.  Obama still got 65% of Hispanic voters there in 2012 based on exit polls.  Of course, people from Hispanic families that have been in NM for 100 years might not identify as Hispanic for the exit poll, but Obama also got 64% of the Catholic vote.

Now if they could find a way to win both 35% of Hispanic voters and 65% of white voters, that would be enough to win well into the 2020's.  This is why I think SoCon candidates will make a comeback, but this time they will be Catholic rather than Evangelical.
Yeah but NM is more of a state where people vote for the person and not the party. The Governors Mansion in NM has flipped back to each party back and forth in each of the last 2 and a half decades. It really doesn't matter if Hispanics have been there for 100 years NM doesn't vote like a TX, or a CA. Keep in mind Romney didn't even campaign in NM and still got 44% of the vote there.

Keep in mind too that NM hasn't gained an electoral vote in how many years? Its not growing like other states are in the Southwest US.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies