Will we have a truly Liberal President in the next 20 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:20:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Will we have a truly Liberal President in the next 20 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will we have a truly Liberal President in the next 20 years?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Will we have a truly Liberal President in the next 20 years?  (Read 3364 times)
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:32:59 AM »

By "truly Liberal", I mean a President as left wing in his or her ideology as FDR or Lyndon Johnson--and acts like it, too; doesn't swing or cave to the right in the way Carter, Clinton and Obama did.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »

I'm optimistic. I think there may even be a slight chance of Hillary Clinton transforming herself into one.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:48:37 AM »

LBJ really wasn't a "true liberal" when you consider how hawkish he was on foreign policy.

With Hillary and Schweitzer as the top Democratic potentials for 2016 though, I doubt we could get one like FDR next election. I'm feeling optimistic to that Bernie Sanders might choose to run in the Democratic primary or really high hopes for strong liberals like Sherrod Brown or Kirsten Gillibrand, but if either of those first two aforementioned candidates decides for a run, they most likely opt out. We might just have to wait another 8 years to try and get one to run and stand a good chance.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:56:30 AM »

LBJ really wasn't a "true liberal" when you consider how hawkish he was on foreign policy.

So were Harry Truman and Social Democrats USA also not "true liberals" because of their hawkishness.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:24 AM »

2036 is a long time away. I think we'll have at least one strongly left-wing president. Probably not any of the current crop of Governors/Senators though. Possibly one of the younger Congresspeople.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:19:17 AM »

So were Harry Truman and Social Democrats USA also not "true liberals" because of their hawkishness.
Still, I admire Truman for warning and ultimately firing MacArthur for failing to listen to his orders on the Chinese border. Him and partially FDR were still hawks, but nowhere near as cruel and war-hungry as LBJ was. Even Nixon of all people was much more effective than LBJ on foreign policy.
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:24:43 AM »

Still, I admire Truman for warning and ultimately firing MacArthur for failing to listen to his orders on the Chinese border. Him and partially FDR were still hawks, but nowhere near as cruel and war-hungry as LBJ was. Even Nixon of all people was much more effective than LBJ on foreign policy.

LBJ was actually far from war hungry. Go listen to his White House tapes. He asks tons of people (for example, Ike, who got us into Vietnam in the first place) if there is any real way out of Vietnam that won't leave the US embarrassed and looking weak, or that won't destroy his domestic policy. Everyone tells him no. He seems to be looking for any way out of it and doesn't want to go to Vietnam, and yet, it seems he has to.

Also, he informally began the process of Detente with the Glassboro Summit. While it didn't achieve much in terms of actual goals, it laid the groundwork for a more positive, less Cold War relationship with the USSR.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 04:49:19 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2014, 04:51:34 AM by Mordecai »

Maybe.

If they're young enough that they don't remember Ronald Reagan but old enough to be a young adult during the Bush administration, the housing bubble collapse, the financial collapse and the recession of the late 2000s, there's a chance that you could get a solid liberal in 2032.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 11:43:43 AM »

Not unless a revived American left opens up breathing space for liberalism.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »

The current president is a liberal, though he is not "left-wing" at all. "Liberal" is a horribly misused term in American politics.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:54:44 AM »

stop concern trolling

kthx
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »

The current president is a liberal, though he is not "left-wing" at all. "Liberal" is a horribly misused term in American politics.

This too.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »

"Conservative" is also misused. In reality, Democrats are the conservatives (they tend to keep things the same, or only tinker around the edges). Republicans prefer right-wing social engineering and regressivism, which is far from conservative.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »

"Conservative" is also misused. In reality, Democrats are the conservatives (they tend to keep things the same, or only tinker around the edges). Republicans prefer right-wing social engineering and regressivism, which is far from conservative.

The term is reactionary, not regressive.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »

The term is reactionary, not regressive.

Same thing pretty much.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »

I highly, highly doubt you'll see anyone acting any further to the left than Obama. Where he is? Sure, but I don't think you'll see further.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »

I think it's very likely given the Reagan coalition is dying out.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »

I highly, highly doubt you'll see anyone acting any further to the left than Obama. Where he is? Sure, but I don't think you'll see further.

Obama is not left-wing, even by the standards of American politics.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 02:27:53 PM »

I'm optimistic. I think there may even be a slight chance of Hillary Clinton transforming herself into one.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »

I would disagree with you on the second portion, but it's sort of beside the question. If you don't consider Obama left-wing, then I think the chances of you getting someone you do consider left-wing over the next 20 years are slim to none.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 04:57:41 PM »

By the standards of American politics, the national Democratic Party is left-wing. Obama represents the mainstream of the national Democratic Party.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 05:05:57 PM »

By the standards of American politics, the national Democratic Party is left-wing. Obama represents the mainstream of the national Democratic Party.

Most of the ideas he's promoted would've been Republican ideas 10 or 20 years ago.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »

What Vosem and Deus said. Also agreed w/TNF on HRC.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »

Possibly someone who is considered liberal in today's political climate, although they may be considered a moderate 20 years from now.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »

Most of the ideas he's promoted would've been Republican ideas 10 or 20 years ago.
Other than background checks on gun purchases and an interventionist foreign policy, I wouldn't say so. The "HeritageCare" talking point is mostly false. While some conservatives endorsed an individual mandate to purchase catastrophic health insurance (though there were also many who opposed it), Obamacare, as I'm sure you know, involves much more than that, and includes an individual mandate to purchase comprehensive, rather than catastrophic, health insurance.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies