Chinese folk outraged that the donkey meat they purchased is actually fox meat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:01:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chinese folk outraged that the donkey meat they purchased is actually fox meat  (Read 765 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:54:20 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/chinese-wal-mart-is-being-accused-of-trying-to-pass-off-fox

Hopefully v0031 could give us his take on this.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »

Fox? As donkey?

There are not words.

There's a market for dog meat in parts of Asia, wouldn't that be presumably somewhat similar to fox?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:59:48 PM »

"You got your ass all over my fox."
"You got fox all in my ass."
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2014, 01:20:14 PM by Pac. Speaker DemPGH »

It's another reason why traveling to exotic places is not very high on my to-do list. The food that is consumed in some of these places is generally disgusting enough to nearly put me off of mine. Ugh.

If I took a vacation to the islands I assume they have fish and coconuts and pineapples and normal things, so that's still on the list. Just haven't made it yet.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »

The Chinese have more important things to be mad about.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »

It's another reason why traveling to exotic places is not very high on my to-do list. The food that is consumed in some of these places is generally disgusting enough to nearly put me off of mine. Ugh.

If I took a vacation to the islands I assume they have fish and coconuts and pineapples and normal things, so that's still on the list. Just haven't made it yet.

How delightfully ethnocentric
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2014, 10:27:33 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Visiting a place where people eat food that one finds strange or disconcerting doesn't necessitate eating that food oneself, you know. Especially these days, pretty much anywhere on Earth has at least some elements of its cuisine that Americans would consider more or less 'normal', or at least interesting and worth trying out if not.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »

I'd be outraged about it as well, wouldn't you?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »

I've been to China.  Ate a lot of chicken, pork, fish, beef... rice... various vegetables.. amazing preparations all around.

Your attitude is dangerous and ignorant... luckily only for you.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2014, 10:34:36 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I've been to China.  Ate a lot of chicken, pork, fish, beef... rice... various vegetables.. amazing preparations all around.

Yeah, the idea that China of all places has particularly unfamiliar or 'gross' food, aside from a few quirks regarding meat from animals that we're more inclined to see as akin to pets (EDIT: or in the case of horses at least 'companion/workmate animals' rather than 'eating animals'; see what Foucaulf says about dogs below), is beyond absurd.
Foucaulf
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 10:31:47 PM »

I'd be outraged about it as well, wouldn't you?

I try not to empty quote, though...

The Chinese have more important things to be mad about.

More important than food safety? I very much doubt most people in the world would take a democracy without that to the converse.

(Also, dog meat is extremely out of style these days; many Chinese have dogs as pets and are signing pledges against such consumption.)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »

Oooookay.

Visiting a place where people eat food that one finds strange or disconcerting doesn't necessitate eating that food oneself, you know. Especially these days, pretty much anywhere on Earth has at least some elements of its cuisine that Americans would consider more or less 'normal', or at least interesting and worth trying out if not.

Honestly, I'm sure. I'd hunt Mediterranean cuisine first, Italian second, vegetarian third.

I thought it was really obvious that my comment was intended to indicate a general distrust of the cuisine in an area where eating horse, fox, dog, and Lord knows what else is acceptable. That's all. I mean I thought it REEEEEALLLLLY obvious that the intent was to convey that, and that it was perfectly understandable.

Every now and again around here a warning or whatever will go out to watch this or that in Chinese food or that some Chinese restaurant was caught using mystery meat, so to wonder a little about what you're putting in your body in a country where eating that stuff is acceptable is just prudent. It's just sensible

You know, I'd call a bacon cheeseburger disgusting too. Not edible? No. Disgusting? Yes. So whatever.
Foucaulf
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »

I thought it was really obvious that my comment was intended to indicate a general distrust of the cuisine in an area where eating horse, fox, dog, and Lord knows what else is acceptable. That's all. I mean I thought it REEEEEALLLLLY obvious that the intent was to convey that, and that it was perfectly understandable.

It did not begin by being acceptable; it was by being necessary. Horse meat, as I've heard, is actually very tender!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And the Chinese who have to live in a country with abysmal food safety regulations - like my family, say - worry a lot more than you do. No need to make their lives even more miserable by mocking the food they like.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »

China is an enormous country with 1.3 billion people.  Not 1.3 billion dead people... 1.3 billion alive people who eat ALL KINDS of things that might be too "exotic" for your bland palate... but you know what, the food you eat is going to be alright.  Just ensure it is cooked.  Don't eat raw meat that you aren't sure about.

Don't drink the tap water.

China is fine.  You'd be better to worry traveling to remote areas of Papua New Guinea or the Congo or remote Namibia where refrigeration is unheard of and the meat might've sat out for a while before being tossed into a fire.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »

People in this thread who can't eat anything they haven't been having nonstop for the past decade Roll Eyes
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »

There's a hell of a lot of standard European fare that you cannot get even an approximation of in India for love or money. Indian cuisine is wonderful and I love it, but after a few months in India I dreamt of black bread and decent cheese and my mother's potato salad (no mayo in that).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »

and my mother's potato salad (no mayo in that).

I'm intrigued. Details?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »

Oil, vinegar and vegetable stock.
Potatoes.
Gherkins, spring radishes, onions, eggs (optional), Fleischwurst (optional), corn salad (optional)
Salt and pepper and all that. Far more pepper than salt.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »

Potatoes.
Gherkins, spring radishes, onions, eggs (optional), Fleischwurst (optional), corn salad (optional)

Sounds like my idea of food. Thanks for that...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »

That sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »

Potatoes.

Sounds good (minus the eggs)

I cut up bacon and fry it up crisp, then quickly fry the celery and onions together (just a short while)... deglaze with some white wine, then add the bacon back in with the oil, vinegar, and a bit of stock.  I like to add mustard powder, a touch of cayenne, a bit of sugar, salt and pepper.  Then I add the cooked, sliced potatoes.

At the last, I add some fresh chopped dill.  It's excellent warm, cold, or room temperature.  Baconey, onioney, potatoey, vinegary goodness.  No mayo, no eggs.  That's for heathens.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies