Snow Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:23:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Snow Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Did you get the day off school?
Hell yes, and I'm gonna build a snowman and have a snowball fight.

No.  Easterners are wimps.  You get a few inches of snow and everything closes.  I'm from the Midwest and I walk two miles to school every day in the snow.

Snow?  Sick, dude.  Like, we're more into the herb, but that sounds chill.

Make it so, Number One!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Snow Day!  (Read 6630 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 11:39:40 AM »

The thread, the snow, or both?  Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2014, 12:55:36 PM »

This snowstorm is ruining my program's recruitment weekend Sad

I would very much appreciate it if class were canceled tomorrow, since I don't want to have to learn MATLAB tonight.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »

I feel sorry for anyone who was too lazy to clear the sleet off their cars today.  We've transitioned to freezing rain.  Anyone who didn't do that is going to have a solid sheet of inch or more thick ice as the rain soaks into the sleet and freezes.  Power outages are a definite possibility, but so far I appear to be north of the worst of it.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »

Just confirmed for another snow day tomorrow. This will be our sixth.

My school district allows for just three, and with this snow day we'll have lost 3 days of spring break. It's basically a glorified long weekend at this point.

It's only been getting colder where I am. It was 8ºF this morning, usually it is in the mid-high teens. The snow from last week has formed an inch-thick ice crust and it has not been melting at all. If I wasn't 150+ lbs I could walk on the ice without it collapsing.

And the snowstorms are getting worse too. I hear my area is supposed to get up to a foot on top of the 4-6 inches that are still there from last week.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »

I feel sorry for anyone who was too lazy to clear the sleet off their cars today.  We've transitioned to freezing rain.  Anyone who didn't do that is going to have a solid sheet of inch or more thick ice as the rain soaks into the sleet and freezes.  Power outages are a definite possibility, but so far I appear to be north of the worst of it.

Just be glad it's February, and that nearly all the leaves are off the trees by now. 
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »

The snow. At least, I can easily avoid the thread...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:50 PM »

Here's what they're predicting for the DC metro area:

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »

I live approximately where the letter A is in the word accumulations.  The second letter A, not the first.  Here, they're calling for 10 to 14 inches.  I think 10 to 14 is probably a bit far-fetched, but we'll see.  Still, even if we get only half that, I suppose that all the local schools will cancel for the day.  The local public radio station announced that garbage pickup will not occur tomorrow.  Also, many business have already posted on their websites that the will not open tomorrow.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »

Haha, right in the middle of the purple.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:36 PM »

Just be glad it's February, and that nearly all the leaves are off the trees by now. 

We have a lot of pines around here. Indeed that's what led to me being without power for a week several years ago.  Not many people losing power here in Lexington County, but the SCE&G website is reporting about 40% of customers in the belt from Aiken to Dorchester without power right now.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2014, 03:09:57 AM »

Supposed to get 10 to 20 inches here.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2014, 05:32:57 AM »

You guys always get hit.  Still, my daughter enjoyed her two years in Hyde Park. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

Snow day for all.  Smiley

The snow started sometime last night and right now there's about half a foot of new snow with big flakes still falling.  At some point I'll have to get my act together and shovel the drive.  Garbage day is cancelled.  The gym near our house is closed.  So far the street has seen no plow.  It should come by eventually.  Till then there's really no point in doing the driveway.  I suppose that there will still be U.S. mail service.  Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will stay these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »

This snowstorm is ruining my program's recruitment weekend Sad

I would very much appreciate it if class were canceled tomorrow, since I don't want to have to learn MATLAB tonight.

MATLAB is useful!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »

Snow day for all.  Smiley

The snow started sometime last night and right now there's about half a foot of new snow with big flakes still falling.  At some point I'll have to get my act together and shovel the drive.  Garbage day is cancelled.  The gym near our house is closed.  So far the street has seen no plow.  It should come by eventually.  Till then there's really no point in doing the driveway. 

Exercise since you can't get to the gym.  Also, while there is likely no point in doing the end, doing the rest would make it easier to do it for real once the snow stops.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2014, 12:56:52 PM »

I still approve of Bill de Blasio overall but his decision to keep NYC schools open today is completely indefensible.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

I still approve of Bill de Blasio overall but his decision to keep NYC schools open today is completely indefensible.

The school superintendent doesn't decide this?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »

It's starting to melt.  I've got my car cleared off enough that if I had to go someplace I could, but since I don't, I'm staying put.  I fully expect that if schools around here are open tomorrow it'll be on a two hour delay.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »

Philly doesn't look good according to J.J.'s pictures.  Hard hit.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »

Philly doesn't look good according to J.J.'s pictures.  Hard hit.

The "deluge" jokes write themselves.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2014, 01:45:02 PM »

My school is closing at 3pm. But luckily the professors are mostly choosing to cancel their classes that start before that time.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »

Exercise since you can't get to the gym.  Also, while there is likely no point in doing the end, doing the rest would make it easier to do it for real once the snow stops.

Yes, exercise.  I'm exhausted.  My arms, legs, and lower back especially.  I was out from about 12:20 till maybe 2:00 shoveling.  I was completely drenched with sweat by the time I was finished and had to take a shower.  It was shoveling, too, not pushing.  Heavy wet snow about eight inches thick.  But the driveway is clean.  That last two meters or so was a bear, because the snow plow had made a couple of passes. 

The snow seems to have stopped.  The radar shows showers for a couple hours this evening, but it will likely just be a pushing endeavor to clean that little bit. 

Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »

I don't envy you, and I seriously hope nobody will be cut from power or have a car accident!

Having said that, whatever meteorological phenomenon is making you suffer, it provides for an extremely mild (though quite stormy) winter here in Northern Germany. For the weekend, temperatures as high as +15° C, which would be the highest February temperature ever recorded, are expected. For reference - this time last year, the Alster lake inside Hamburg was frozen so solidly that it was opened to public access.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2014, 03:17:09 PM »

That's precisely why you should have done a bit at a time if possible rather than all at once, angus. (Or even done some while it was falling.)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »

I haven't had class all week and it has really been an unnecessary amount of time off. I'd prefer to go to class rather than having to make them all up later.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies