Some Stats For Your New Years Eve Dinner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:44:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Some Stats For Your New Years Eve Dinner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Some Stats For Your New Years Eve Dinner  (Read 757 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:24:19 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2014, 07:53:28 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

50th Senate:
42 amendments to legislation, 23 pieces of Legislation
82% Approval in July 2012
62% approval in August 2012

53rd Senate:
37 amendments to legislation, 20 Pieces of Legislation
52% approval in January 2013
55% approval in February 2013

58th Senate:
72 amendments to legislation So Far, 37 Pieces of Legislation So Far
33% approval in November
32% approval in December
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »

I don't know if its just me...but I think we have too many proposed Amendments...and too many Amendments...eh...
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »

In this context, amendments refers to amendments to legislation whilst amendments to the Constitution are added in to the legislation pile since they are stand alone pieces passed through the legislative process.

But yeah, that point still stands.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »

I imagine the "Fix the Regions Amendment" had something to do with this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »

This predates that event by months.

The Senate has not had an approval above 50% since May and it has been negative since July. It has been in the 30's ever since August.

The last Senate to have postive or even approvals, the 55th Senate, had just 37 Amendments. Every Senate since has had 70 or more Amendments and probably more legislation than the 55th.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »

Look on the bright side. Maybe it just means that the Senate is more discerning now. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:15:39 PM »

The last Senate to have postive or even approvals, the 55th Senate

Which was also the last Senate to include... me. Coincidence? Tongue

last amendment offered in that senate Tongue

Yep, really hoped you would have returend in the December. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »

Is it time for NYE DRUNK speech yet by the president?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »

Is it time for NYE DRUNK speech yet by the president?

Yes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »

My GOAL during this whole thing was to consolidate power, make the senate irrelevant, and make myself SUPREME RULER, but sadly that hasn't gone as planned. Apparently I have constituents to please. Go figure.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »

Correlation is causation!

LEAVE ALL THE TYPOS IN THE TEXTS OF BILLS, AND NEVER AMEND ANYTHING. OUR APPROVALS WOULD SKY ROCKET.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »

The Senate has not had an approval above 50% since May and it has been negative since July. It has been in the 30's ever since August.

The last Senate to have postive or even approvals, the 55th Senate, had just 37 Amendments. Every Senate since has had 70 or more Amendments and probably more legislation than the 55th.

Touche. Has there been an increase in hullabaloos since the middle of the year?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 11:11:19 PM »

Touche. Has there been an increase in hullabaloos since the middle of the year?

I don't really think I can call anything a hullabaloo.

I think the uptick in amendments has a lot to do with me, frankly. I amend a LOT. At one point I had about 40% of the amendments in the session.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 11:11:24 PM »

The People are finally going to have their final say on regional consolidation - I am excited that this issue will finally come to a conclusion.

I have high hopes that starting next session, our ratings go up. Most of the disapproved Senators will be leaving us in a couple of days.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »

Happy New Years
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 08:24:01 AM »

I am one of those Atlasians who voted "strongly disapprove" this time. Most Senators are doing a decent or very good job but the Senate is forced to deal with such a high number of extremist bills* that I just can't approve of the Senate as a whole.

*for example the "Child Abuse Prevention Act of 2013" which is a circumcision ban, the anti-religion "Freedom from Religion Act", the "Anti-Plutocracy Act of 2013", which seeks to establish an inheritance tax of 100% (!), or the "Pacific Emergency Stimulus Act", which, given the complete failure of the previous Pacific stimulus, I consider a waste of money. To see more radical proposals in the same vein which the Senate is confronted with, have a look at this thread.

Additionally, we have seen how a small group of Senators has dedicated a lot of time to trolling the Senate rather than being active, which has hurt the reputation of the Senate considerably.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »

Since when is a stimulus "extreme"?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »

Those who think that the stimulus is a waste of money fail to recognize the difference between former Pacific leadership and the current Pacific leadership.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 07:05:36 PM »

When it's throwing $100 billion into a region that has shown no indications that it will actually be put to good use.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »

I don't favor handing them the money with no strings attached, but I do think they need some help from the fedeal government. We ALL benefit from a healthy pacific. We all should want to see that.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »

When it's throwing $100 billion into a region that has shown no indications that it will actually be put to good use.

That's extremely critical of the process without even really bothering to be a part of the process.

People can take pot shots from the sidelines all they want, but it's pretty clear that this money isn't going in no-strings-attached.

In any case, the Senate just approved an amendment cutting the guaranteed money down to $12.5 billion, with optional increases to $50, and I countered with an amendment to get to $65 billion with an opt-out clause as opposed to an opt-in.

The deliberation is public, of course.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »

That's extremely critical of the process without even really bothering to be a part of the process.

People can take pot shots from the sidelines all they want, but it's pretty clear that this money isn't going in no-strings-attached.

In any case, the Senate just approved an amendment cutting the guaranteed money down to $12.5 billion, with optional increases to $50, and I countered with an amendment to get to $65 billion with an opt-out clause as opposed to an opt-in.

I'm fully aware of that. I follow discussions in the Senate closely, particularly when it could have an impact on my region's economy (the national economy, of course, is dragged down by the Pacific situation), and I'm happy to see Maxwell's amendment (which you opposed) pass.

That said, my problem with your legislation is that it's just throwing money at the problem without doing anything to address the underlying issues. Yes, we can't just wait until activity picks up, but the current regional government needs to step up and take concrete steps to solve their own problem - we already threw $25 billion into the Pacific with no results. We need a plan for how the federal money will be spent, we need to look at ways to save within their budget, and we need to get a stable regional government in place. Looking at their legislative queue, they're debating very important legislation that is sure to help lower that 20+% unemployment rate, including 'A Resolution to Discourage "What Does the Fox Say?"', the 'Banning the Chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide Act', a 'Resolution Concerning the Midwest's Unlawful Claims', and the '2nd Transgender Protection Act'. Instead of debating legislation that would actually create jobs and stabilize their region, the Pacific has in their queue legislation to discourage the playing of a specific song, a bill to mandate gender-neutral restrooms, and a bill to ban water. We need to focus on getting a competent regional government in place, even if it's somewhat short-staffed, instead of just throwing money at the problem. To do otherwise creates a perverse incentive to ignore the economic situation and, well, ban water.

I also see a long-term problem with your legislation. My region currently has an unemployment rate of 8.3% and a credit rating of AA. By your logic, shouldn't the federal government step in and pay for any deficits we might run? Why not do the same for any other region? If the Senate passes your legislation and we decide that regions have a right to get federal aid when they run a deficit and have a credit rating below AAA, then I'll certainly look forward to your generous fiscal stimulus for the IDS.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »

I'm fully aware of that. I follow discussions in the Senate closely, particularly when it could have an impact on my region's economy (the national economy, of course, is dragged down by the Pacific situation), and I'm happy to see Maxwell's amendment (which you opposed) pass.

That said, my problem with your legislation is that it's just throwing money at the problem without doing anything to address the underlying issues. Yes, we can't just wait until activity picks up, but the current regional government needs to step up and take concrete steps to solve their own problem - we already threw $25 billion into the Pacific with no results. We need a plan for how the federal money will be spent, we need to look at ways to save within their budget, and we need to get a stable regional government in place. Looking at their legislative queue, they're debating very important legislation that is sure to help lower that 20+% unemployment rate, including 'A Resolution to Discourage "What Does the Fox Say?"', the 'Banning the Chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide Act', a 'Resolution Concerning the Midwest's Unlawful Claims', and the '2nd Transgender Protection Act'. Instead of debating legislation that would actually create jobs and stabilize their region, the Pacific has in their queue legislation to discourage the playing of a specific song, a bill to mandate gender-neutral restrooms, and a bill to ban water. We need to focus on getting a competent regional government in place, even if it's somewhat short-staffed, instead of just throwing money at the problem. To do otherwise creates a perverse incentive to ignore the economic situation and, well, ban water.

I also see a long-term problem with your legislation. My region currently has an unemployment rate of 8.3% and a credit rating of AA. By your logic, shouldn't the federal government step in and pay for any deficits we might run? Why not do the same for any other region? If the Senate passes your legislation and we decide that regions have a right to get federal aid when they run a deficit and have a credit rating below AAA, then I'll certainly look forward to your generous fiscal stimulus for the IDS.
The 2nd Transgender Protection Act is a job-creating bill.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »

The 2nd Transgender Protection Act is a job-creating bill.

The act in question mandates that all government buildings have at least one bathroom designated gender-neutral, and does not involve the construction of new bathrooms. I see no way that it creates jobs, but if you do, please enlighten me.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »

Well, I'm not party to the current legislative queue in the Pacific, but I understand that all 3 active members (and maybe 4 with this Devin fellow) are certainly willing to sidestep the smaller issues and deliver broader legislation to address the stimulus. If they don't, they won't get the money, simply. That's part of the nature of my current amendment.

I opposed Maxwell's amendment on the grounds that an opt-in for the additional money risks the Senate not acting upon perhaps a forgotten clause and leaving the Pacific hanging. An opt-out is the same form of risk mitigation without the same risk of not even holding a vote to re-approve spending. I don't believe in the belabored "debt ceiling" renewal negotiations, and I don't believe in having to approve spending measures twice. Hence my disapproval of the amendment...

And, as you might have noticed in the deliberative thread, we are in fact trying to get some oversight on the process from Superique, most notably. As the regional Senator, I'd be willing to step in, as well.

Also, a AA rating and a C rating are totally different from a borrowing perspective, of course. It's disingenuous to compare one to the other. If you're willing to lead your region to the brink of collapse, then, yes, as a federal legislator, I'd rather "stimulate" the region than see you collapse, absolutely. We all know that no one WANTS to test that, though, so let's not.

On a side note, would people approve of me and/or Superique providing oversight? Is there any preference as to who it should be? Should it be both of us? The whole Senate? Those are the opinions I'd certainly like to hear. I think it's somewhat reasonable to want to cut the Senate out of the process after the appropriation because we are political officeholders, and leave it to Superique, but maybe that negative is outweighed by the fact that two heads is better than one? Personally, I'd rather have more ideas on the table, including mine, but I am totally open to the public on that matter.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies