Which of these countries should have permanent UNSC seats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:21:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these countries should have permanent UNSC seats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Brazil

Germany

India

Indonesia

Japan

South Africa

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these countries should have permanent UNSC seats?  (Read 1687 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:52:52 AM »

The permanent members of the United Nations Security Council are US, UK, France, Russia, China.  Which other countries should have permanent representation?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »

NOTA
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »

Keep the permanent members at five, but move France's permanent seat to the EU and Britain's to the largest portion of the old empire: India.  (Note, just as in the old days. the Soviet Union had the permanent seat ant two of its constituent republics were also separate UN members, the EU having member status would be no reason for its constituent countries to not also have member status.)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »

NOTA, though I wouldn't mind Germany.

Keep the permanent members at five, but move France's permanent seat to the EU and Britain's to the largest portion of the old empire: India.  (Note, just as in the old days. the Soviet Union had the permanent seat ant two of its constituent republics were also separate UN members, the EU having member status would be no reason for its constituent countries to not also have member status.)

God no!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »

The Security Council should be abolished
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »

The UN needs to be reformed first. Preferably the assembly would consist of a bicameral legislature, with a lower house of 1000 members (from 1000 districts elected using AV) and an upper house with 700 members (from 7 districts of 100 members, elected proportionally)

The Secretary General would be directly elected in a world-wide election.

FTR, the upper house districts would be:

1) Americas
2) Europe
3) Sub-Saharan Africa
4) West/Central Asia /Maghreb
5) China
6) India
7) East Asia / Oceania
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »

God no!

I realize that giving India a permanent seat while not giving Pakistan one is likely to cause rumbles, but if we're going to have permanent seats, they are deserving of one while I fail to see how Europe can justify continuing to have two of the five permanent seats (three if you count the Russians).  Going beyond five veto seats is not a good idea.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »

The Security Council should be abolished
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »

NOTA.

Establish a seat for a semi-permanent veto power.  One nation serves a five year term as a veto power, but cannot serve terms consecutively.  Must be nominated by 3/5 existing veto powers and then confirmed by 2/3 of the GA.

Basically, the USA, UK, and France team up to appoint pro-NATO countries to the seat while the BRICs and other third worlds are satisfied because the seat is "elected".

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »

I don't think China or Russia should have UNSC seats.  We could replace them with India and Japan.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »

India is the obvious candidate. Brazil as the largest country in South America should be included too.

Japan might qualify as the worlds third largest economy, but size of the economy is an factor that can change quite a bit in the long run, so that's a bad criteria. Share of world population for developed/semi-developed economies is a more stable criteria.

While I think reducing Europes number of seats would be fair I don't see it happening, especially as EU will likely never get a coordinated foreign policy.

Africa doesn't have any valid UNSC candidates since Nigeria is such a mess and SA is too small.

We have had similar threads before.

So 6 permant members (China, India, US, Russia, Brazil, UK and France)

An alternative would be to make all UNSC members permanent and reduce it to 12. Then it could be:

- USA, Brazil, Germany, France, UK, Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Japan, Indonesia and the African Union making it 12 members.

Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »

I would say:
- 3 seats to the top performers in the Soccer WC (which, in normal years, should come equal to options 1 & 2, but also gives France a fair chance to keep their seat, puts Italy and Spain on the list. and provides some incentive to China)
- 1 seat to the World Cricket champion (to solve the UK vs. India vs. Pakistan vs. South Africa issue)
- 1 seat to the Ice Hockey World Champion (to get the US / Russia question settled)

Sorry Indonesia, no Badminton!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 04:08:58 PM »

God no!

And once again we agree on foreign policy
------------------------------------------

Keep the permanent members at five, but move France's permanent seat to the EU and Britain's to the largest portion of the old empire: India.  (Note, just as in the old days. the Soviet Union had the permanent seat ant two of its constituent republics were also separate UN members, the EU having member status would be no reason for its constituent countries to not also have member status.)

God no!

I realize that giving India a permanent seat while not giving Pakistan one is likely to cause rumbles, but if we're going to have permanent seats, they are deserving of one while I fail to see how Europe can justify continuing to have two of the five permanent seats (three if you count the Russians).  Going beyond five veto seats is not a good idea.

Maybe because France and Great Britain are two power: economically: world's fifth and sixth largest economy by nominal GDP. Military: they're strong too and they have an influence in the world: GB: The Commonweath and France: Africa (see Mali,...).
And the UNO represents states, not "union of states", that's why the sowjet union wanted to have 56 seats (they just got 3 seats: Russia, Weissrussland, Ukraine). So giving France's permanent seat to European  Union? No way.
And giving GB's permanent seat to  India? I don't understand the reason.

-------------------------
I'm not against reforming the Security Council (like France and probably GB)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »

Germany and Japan pay the 2nd and 3rd highest share of the UN budget, and were only excluded from having a permanent seat because the UN was founded in 1945.

Granted, it would make more sense to have a single EU seat, or to abolish veto power altogether, but working within the system, I'd give permanent seats to India, Japan, and Germany.  Brazil, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Nigeria would be next on the docket.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »

Germany and Japan pay the 2nd and 3rd highest share of the UN budget, and were only excluded from having a permanent seat because the UN was founded in 1945.

Granted, it would make more sense to have a single EU seat, or to abolish veto power altogether, but working within the system, I'd give permanent seats to India, Japan, and Germany.  Brazil, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Nigeria would be next on the docket.

Nigeria is far too weak both economically and as a state. Giving a seat to the African Union would make more sense.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »

Japan being added would send the Chinese into a tizzy, which might be fun.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »

Japan being added would send the Chinese into a tizzy, which might be fun.
Given the issue over which they'd be sent into a tizzy, I'm not sure it'd really be that fun. 
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »

All of them, but I wouldn't mind if the Council was abolished.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »

NOTA. Any action with regards to the UN (or international affairs in general) which dilutes the power of western countries to the advantage of non-western ones is a dangerous move. Really and truly, China should never have been given a seat on the UNSC.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »

Add all of the above except Indonesia and remove the Permanent Council Member's veto power and replace it with a super majority rule.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

Abolish veto powers and permanent SC seats.

If that doesn't work out though, replace UK and France with India and Indonesia.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »

I think that Germany, Japan, India, and Brazil should certainly be included, but the number of vetoes should not be expanded; they should have permanent representation without veto power.  South Africa would be the best choice if there must be an African country, and Indonesia if there must be an Islamic nation.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »

The New Security Council would consist of;

The U.S
India
China
Germany
Russia
Saudi Arabia
South Africa
Brazil
Britain
Australia
Japan

There is no veto power, and Ties are broken by the Secretary-General

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »

The U.S
India
China
Germany
Russia
Saudi Arabia
South Africa
Brazil
Britain
Australia
Japan

Saudi Arabia?  Hell no.

Why Australia?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »

The U.S
India
China
Germany
Russia
Saudi Arabia
South Africa
Brazil
Britain
Australia
Japan

Saudi Arabia?  Hell no.

Why Australia?

For the Saudi's I'd rather have no one from that part of the world... But I figured I had to have somebody, and it was either Saudi's or the Iranians and I see the Saudis as (currently) the lesser of two evils). As for Australia, I was tempted to give that spot to Argentina, Mexico or South Korea... and I guess replacing the Saudis with someone from that trio still makes sense.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies