What Colleges Have You Applied To or Are Planning Too?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:06:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What Colleges Have You Applied To or Are Planning Too?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What Colleges Have You Applied To or Are Planning Too?  (Read 1463 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »

For financial reasons and admittedly a feeling that I wasn't entirely mentally ready for college, I'm going to a local community college for a year

Serious advice: Don't do this. Go straight to a four-year institution unless it's completely unfeasible. 

I disagree with the advice. I have taught many students who have done very well by spending two years at a community college then transferring to a state university. Students at CCs get basic classes taught with the same texts at lower cost often with less distractions. Most states provide for reasonable credit transfer rules, particularly to the public universities.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »

For financial reasons and admittedly a feeling that I wasn't entirely mentally ready for college, I'm going to a local community college for a year

I don't really know about what, but if you think it's a burnout, try taking a year off. Worked for me.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »

Serious advice: Don't do this. Go straight to a four-year institution unless it's completely unfeasible. 

I disagree with the advice. I have taught many students who have done very well by spending two years at a community college then transferring to a state university. Students at CCs get basic classes taught with the same texts at lower cost often with less distractions. Most states provide for reasonable credit transfer rules, particularly to the public universities.

I think it depends on why you don't want to go to a 4 year school right away. If you don't have the grades to get into any, you really have no other options. If you want to save money, you'd better have all your ducks in a row regarding where you ultimately want to go, what courses you need, and what will and won't transfer. Otherwise, you're going to spend a year taking courses you'll just have to pay for and take again at a four year school.

I don't know what you mean by not being "mentally" ready for college. If you mean you don't think you're mature enough to live on your own and not have your parents pestering you to do your homework, you're going to have to grow up one way or another and I don't see how CC is going to be any more helpful in that regard than just cutting all the cords at once and going away to school. If you mean you don't feel prepared to do college-level work, CC probably won't help you in that regard either. Whenever I took summer classes at my local community college, they seemed to require less than half the effort of freshman level courses at my alma mater. One summer, I had to take geography and never even bought the book; still managed to get an A on the final because of my mile-wide, inch-deep knowledge of world geography.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies