Got a major ice storm in progress...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:41:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Got a major ice storm in progress...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Got a major ice storm in progress...  (Read 657 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »

Oklahoma City is under the gun with a major winter storm that is solid freezing rain.  The storm just started about 90 minutes ago and is already icing up bridges and overpasses and exposed objects like car windows, power lines, bridges, etc.  The ground temperatures are still around 40 after highs near 70 the first four days this week, but we didn't get above 32 today and won't get above 30 the next three days.  The storm is moving to the NE and the back edge is still SW of Midland, Texas and there is no break between here and there.  All that moisture has to move over us before we can dry out and its not expected to start winding down until late morning tomorrow.  Expectations are nearly an inch of ice with local 1.25" ice totals.  There is already a 15 car pile-up on I-40 Eastbound just east of I-35 in Del City due to the icy bridges.  There are a lot of elevated roadways at that interchange.  Power outages look likely.  Its supposed to all end as snow late Saturday/early Sunday and we may get an inch of snow in OKC with significantly higher amounts in NW Oklahoma and Kansas.  Our local meteorologists are saying things like "we bought the farm with this one."  Anybody else in the path of this ice storm?
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »

We'll probably get hit sometime tomorrow.

I normally do my grocery shopping on Saturdays, but I went out of my way to buy $130 worth of groceries tonight.

Of course, I chose to go to Whole Foods this time, so those groceries will probably only last me about 3 days.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »

I got to experience one of these when I lived in Kansas.

At first, it was cool going outside and seeing everything coated in ice...but then the power went out from ice building up on the power lines and weighing them down to the breaking point.

Also, it got colder than I've ever seen it while I lived there - the temperature actually dipping below zero during the night.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:25:26 PM »

There is a pile up, because the roads are icy? LOL
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »

There is a pile up, because the roads are icy? LOL

Yep.  We've got over 20 wrecks in the OKC Metro, one of them fatal.  No power outages yet in the OKC Metro, but we've got a wave of very heavy, torrential freezing rain coming in from SW Oklahoma that will likely start bringing down the power lines.  We already have between 1/8 and 1/3" of ice in most of the Metro and likely at least another half inch to three quarters of an inch left to go.  The power will start going out here within the next hour to hour and a half.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »

How's CADD going?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:31:22 PM »

Close this thread, plx thnks bai.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »

IT'S BACK
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:40:03 PM »

Yep.  We've got over 20 wrecks in the OKC Metro, one of them fatal.  No power outages yet in the OKC Metro, but we've got a wave of very heavy, torrential freezing rain coming in from SW Oklahoma that will likely start bringing down the power lines. 

ouch.  Weird.  For this part of PA they're predicting that it'll be 55 and drizzly tomorrow, but in Oklahoma it's icy.  Weird weather.  Anyway, be careful.  I know it's yahoo fun to go out driving during these festive ice storms, especially where you don't get much snow, but my advice is to stay home, build a fire, and convince whatever honey you're cruising just now to join you.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »

Ice storms are not fun.  Not fun at all.  I'd much rather have a foot of snow than an inch of ice.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 10:56:22 PM »

I just drove home through light freezing drizzle in Chicagoland. It should stop soon, but it expected to resume in earnest tomorrow afternoon with a mix of rain, freezing rain, and snow. I'm not looking forward to picking up my daughter at the airport tomorrow evening. And that's assuming the flight isn't too affected by the conditions.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 02:16:13 AM »

Ouch. I lived in OKC during the major ice storms 2007-2011 so I know how bad it can be. Not only is it an issue for drivers because they are not used to that type of weather but occasionally every year, but you have to remember this is Oklahoma. The City and state is desperately underfunded when it comes to handling things like this, and has old equipment to boot. I was lucky to miss a very bad one in Dec 2010 by only a day.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies