Uganda passes tough anti-gay laws.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Uganda passes tough anti-gay laws.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Uganda passes tough anti-gay laws.  (Read 5320 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/21/world/africa/ugandan-parliament-approves-antigay-law.html?_r=0

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »

Savages.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »

Not a surprise. Not sure if Uganda or Jamaica takes the cake for most homophobic country.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »

Can we pass anti-Ugandan laws now?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »

Horrible laws for a country that's difficult to envy.

The more white Americans address these things by calling Africans, or Russians for that matter, savages, the more they'll feel the need or inclination to do stuff like this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »

The more white Americans address these things by calling Africans, or Russians for that matter, savages, the more they'll feel the need or inclination to do stuff like this.

Yes, but after all it isn't really helpful to not call a spade a spade, now is it?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »

Yes, but after all it isn't really helpful to not call a spade a spade, now is it?

It actually is helpful to avoid calling African people savages if at all possible, yes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »

Kampala's chances of landing the 2024 Summer Olympics have definitely improved now.  Certainly the Russian member of the  IOC will support their bid if they choose to make one.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 02:55:27 PM »

Nevermind the racial overtones, this is "savage" like behaviour. Whether it's done in the US or Uganda or Russia for that matter.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »

My homosexuality is very aggravated by this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »

It actually is helpful to avoid calling African people savages if at all possible, yes.

Not at all.  If they are behaving as savages (as is often the case), lets do them the courtesy of calling them what they are.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2013, 02:59:20 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Nevermind the racial overtones, this is "savage" like behaviour. Whether it's done in the US or Uganda or Russia for that matter.

It really is, and surely there are ways we can express this fact without needlessly bringing the racial overtones into it.

Not at all.  If they are behaving as savages (as is often the case), lets do them the courtesy of calling them what they are.

You're missing the point, though that's unsurprising from you. You're also missing an apostrophe.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »

You're missing the point, though that's unsurprising from you.

My point is we should instill in them a desire to overcome their humble origins.  Castigating them with those origins when they misbehave is part of the learning process.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »

I lay the blame at the foot of the activities of American evangelists than I do with the Ugandan people. Exporting homophobia is the Christian right's new colonialism.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »

...seriously? You use that word?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »

I lay the blame at the foot of the activities of American evangelists than I do with the Ugandan people. Exporting homophobia is the Christian right's new colonialism.

I can agree with this, yes.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »

Cory's right to castigate an enemy with whatever terms will most offend.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2013, 06:24:33 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

You're missing the point, though that's unsurprising from you.

My point is we should instill in them a desire to overcome their humble origins.  Castigating them with those origins when they misbehave is part of the learning process.

You do realize just what an imperialist cur you sound like, right?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »

It's actually too bad the country still isn't run from Westminister.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »

Awful new laws, though perhaps not as awful as the racism/neo-colonialism pervading this thread.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »

Given some of the intellectual background of the emergence of that ideology from the 1890s onwards, would there be anything more intellectually ironic than the concept of Sexual Liberationalist Imperialism?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »

To clarify, Uganda does not have a pure parliamentary system so Museveni needs to approve this before it goes into effect.  However it looks likely he will, tho there is speculation that he might veto a law passed at the same time banning miniskirts in an attempt to placate foreign liberals.  It might be enough to placate opebo, but probably not too many others.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »

In this case, they're acting like savages, and deserve to be called out as such.

If I have to tiptoe around their feelings for them to accept me, then f**k them.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 02:11:58 AM »

In this case, they're acting like savages, and deserve to be called out as such.

If I have to tiptoe around their feelings for them to accept me, then f**k them.

The problem is that this specific manner of saying 'f**k you' to homophobic Ugandans tends to function as an incentive for them to find new ways to say 'f**k you' to LGBT Ugandans.

A huge part of the discussion of homosexuality in parts of the world other than North America and Western Europe is the idea that social acceptance of it and recognition of gay relationships is 'un[insert denomyn for non-Western country or region here]' and a Westernizing tendency or a symptom of some kind of decadence. This is false, and in the case of Uganda ultraconservative American Evangelical missionaries--whose actions and attitudes are often trusted more than those of Western governments--share a huge amount of the blame for encouraging these notions, but since it's fundamentally a form of scapegoating as a perceived cultural defense mechanism and moreover precisely since it does ruin people's lives, it's a false notion that we need to try our best not to inadvertently strengthen by choosing to refer to these people in, well, the sorts of terms that Western imperialists interested in ruining their countries' cultures would use. That is, calling them 'savages' is about the worst and most counterproductive possible way of expressing an obviously understandable and to an extent accurate sentiment.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 03:48:46 AM »

I understand what you're saying.  But I'm not speaking as a diplomat here or someone who will be going to Uganda or influencing policy there any time soon.

This is merely my personal opinion of their actions.  It indicates a clinging to our more savage past and I shouldn't have to dance around their feelings in hopes they change their minds.

I used to tolerate bigotry against gays a lot better than I do now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies