SENATE BILL: Fix the Regions Amendment Take Two (Sent to the Regions)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:48:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Fix the Regions Amendment Take Two (Sent to the Regions)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Fix the Regions Amendment Take Two (Sent to the Regions)  (Read 3087 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »
« edited: January 04, 2014, 10:25:09 AM by VP Matt »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Bore

Senator, you may now begin advocating for this. Mr. PPT, this is going in the forum affairs slot.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »

This actually looks pretty decent to me.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »

I like this.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »

Now fill the damn FP slot. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:33:44 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Just adds the title to the text.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »

After this amendment goes through, I'd like to motion to waive the minimum debate time requirements and begin a final vote.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31:52 AM »

After this amendment goes through, I'd like to motion to waive the minimum debate time requirements and begin a final vote.

Second.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 12:48:48 AM »

OK friends, I hope we can ram this through as fast as we can so we can move on to discussing the real plan. Please at least show up to vote on this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »

OK friends, I hope we can ram this through as fast as we can so we can move on to discussing the real plan. Please at least show up to vote on this.

I don't see why we cannot get it done by the end of the week.

Of course the first step to moving qucikly is for bore to get in here and declare my aemndemnt friendly. Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »

Friendly
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »

Also, in case I need to advocate for this, I'll just point out this is the same bill that failed last time around.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »

I'm also ready for a final vote. There has been a national dialogue on this issue for quite a while, and I believe most minds are made up. It is time to let The People have the final say on this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 12:19:17 AM »

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »

How long till this goes to a final vote?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 10:44:24 PM »

How long till this goes to a final vote?

12 AM tomorrow is the final vote on this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 12:54:24 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »

It is absolutely important that the consent of the regions being changed is required. If certain regions are abolished against the will of their citizens, there will be a lot of discontent. And that's a recipe for disaster. Thus, clause three should be amended to read as follows again:

"The consent of the Regions being changed is required."
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »

It is absolutely important that the consent of the regions being changed is required. If certain regions are abolished against the will of their citizens, there will be a lot of discontent. And that's a recipe for disaster. Thus, clause three should be amended to read as follows again:

So that you can block any attempt at regional reform? This amendment would make the amendment useless.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »

I understand that this might be unfair to the Mideast, given that they seem to be the most functional, active and populated region. That said, when the rest of the regions have half the population and major issues with inactivity, trolling and the threat of collapse, it would be also unfair to stop the process just to please a single region. The majority of Atlasian citizens (assured by the two thirds rule) is more "important" than the majority of a single region.

I think we don't have enough time to allow for this to fail thanks to a single region being opposed. Zuwo has a valid point here, it is very dangerous to ignore a region's votes (in the case that, let's say, the Mideast votes against this). But this is our time to take a risk. Keeping this situation going for months is as dangerous as going forward with this amendment. A couple of days ago we lost 16 voters, and the Atlasian population has reduced itself in about 20-25% in the past months. The Pacific faces anarchy, the Northeast, South and Midwest have trouble with having competitive elections, twelve at-large Senators have resigned in the past year (I believe) and even the Mideast faces fatigue.

If we are going to make changes and create a new functional Atlasia, this is our time. I have learned to love my region, but as a Regional Executive I am willing to destroy it to create new regions so we can help improve the game.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2013, 01:57:07 PM by ZuWo »

If we are going to make changes and create a new functional Atlasia, this is our time. I have learned to love my region, but as a Regional Executive I am willing to destroy it to create new regions so we can help improve the game.

Each of the Atlasian Governors has pledged to "preserve, protect and defend" the Constitutions of our respective regions. We must not forget that.

As for Governor PJ's post, all I can say is that I don't have the power to block anything as I'm just an ordinary voter in a region made up of nearly 50 citizens. What I demand, however, is that the voice of every single Atlasian region is heard and taken seriously. If a majority of citizens in a region don't want their region to be dissolved we must respect that. Nothing is more harmful for a political simulation like Atlasia than forcing such radical changes down the throat of a large number of players. You simply risk losing many active players this way. The question is: Can Atlasia afford that? My answer to that question is no, and I therefore urge the Senate to defeat this amendment unless it includes a clause which states that the consent of the regions being changed is required.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »

Each of the Atlasian Governors has pledged to "preserve, protect and defend" the Constitutions of our respective regions. We must not forget that.

As for Governor PJ's post, all I can say is that I don't have the power to block anything as I'm just an ordinary voter in a region made up of nearly 50 citizens. What I demand, however, is that the voice of every single Atlasian region is heard and taken seriously. If a majority of citizens in a region don't want their region to be dissolved we must respect that. Nothing is more harmful for a political simulation like Atlasia than forcing such radical changes down the throat of a large number of players. You simply risk losing many active players this way. The question is: Can Atlasia afford that? My answer to that question is no, and I therefore urge the Senate to defeat this amendment unless it includes a clause which states that the consent of the regions being changed is required.
I misunderstood the clause of the amendment, which isn't your fault, but it does not specify via public referendum.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »

I enjoy the way ZuWo pretends that the regions are somehow organic entities rather than lines that some people came up with in 2004, but it goes without saying that his objections are absurd.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 01:19:42 AM »

I understand that this might be unfair to the Mideast, given that they seem to be the most functional, active and populated region. That said, when the rest of the regions have half the population and major issues with inactivity, trolling and the threat of collapse, it would be also unfair to stop the process just to please a single region. The majority of Atlasian citizens (assured by the two thirds rule) is more "important" than the majority of a single region.

I think we don't have enough time to allow for this to fail thanks to a single region being opposed. Zuwo has a valid point here, it is very dangerous to ignore a region's votes (in the case that, let's say, the Mideast votes against this). But this is our time to take a risk. Keeping this situation going for months is as dangerous as going forward with this amendment. A couple of days ago we lost 16 voters, and the Atlasian population has reduced itself in about 20-25% in the past months. The Pacific faces anarchy, the Northeast, South and Midwest have trouble with having competitive elections, twelve at-large Senators have resigned in the past year (I believe) and even the Mideast faces fatigue.

Lumine, if the situation is really that dire, then the game is already doomed. For one thing I don't think it is that dire. Even if it were, Consolidation is going to provide little in the way of turning that around in my opinion because once the intial activity and interest created by the "new regions" flags cosntitutions and such are settled out, you have litte more then what you had before. In short, you seem to be coutning on a short term activity boost to solve a long term activity problem. The fundamental situation will remain the same regardless of the number of offices or regions, largely because the same issues will remain and thus leave little to demand interest.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »

I misunderstood the clause of the amendment, which isn't your fault, but it does not specify via public referendum.

You are right. A public referendum is a necessity, of course. Such far-reaching reform attempts must be voted on by the entire citizenry of the regions that are targeted for dissolution, not only by their governments.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies