What is the primary medium by which you watch movies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:00:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is the primary medium by which you watch movies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the primary medium by which you watch movies?  (Read 669 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »

Since I moved to Perth, the medium I use to watch movies more than any other is actually the entertainment systems on airplanes.  That's because I'm so far away from everything here, that virtually any flight involves flying on one of those planes with the personalized video entertainment things, where you can choose your own movie.  So for international trips to either Europe or North America (which I do at least once a year), you're in the air so long that you can easily watch as many as five movies each way.  And even for flights to Melbourne or Sydney, they usually use those larger planes with the personalized video things, so you can get in one or two movies each way.

In the past ~9 months alone, I've probably watched about 15 movies on airplanes, with about 10 of those coming on my trip to France back in June.  In that same timeframe, I definitely haven't watched 15 movies in the cinema, or 15 on DVD, or TV, etc.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »

TV mostly. I occasionally go out and get DVDs, but I can't imagine I'll be doing that before summer.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:36:17 PM »

Netflix (normal)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »

The (legal) streaming and on demand options in Australia are very limited, though I guess that's slowly changing.  Video rental stores still survive here, and there's a Blockbuster a short walk down the street from me.  AFAIK, it isn't going anywhere any time soon, though all the US ones are closing.  I do rent movies there sometimes, but not often enough to match the number of movies I see on planes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »

A little HBO/DVR too.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:02:28 AM »

The (legal) streaming and on demand options in Australia are very limited, though I guess that's slowly changing.  Video rental stores still survive here, and there's a Blockbuster a short walk down the street from me.  AFAIK, it isn't going anywhere any time soon, though all the US ones are closing.  I do rent movies there sometimes, but not often enough to match the number of movies I see on planes.

What about Quickflix?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 05:17:59 AM »

The (legal) streaming and on demand options in Australia are very limited, though I guess that's slowly changing.  Video rental stores still survive here, and there's a Blockbuster a short walk down the street from me.  AFAIK, it isn't going anywhere any time soon, though all the US ones are closing.  I do rent movies there sometimes, but not often enough to match the number of movies I see on planes.

What about Quickflix?

I don't think it's as popular as Netflix is in the US, for whatever reason.  Could be that the library of movies that they offer for streaming isn't as large, or something.  Also, many people here have internet plans with a data cap, so you can only download so many GB per month.  Not as conducive to streaming large files all the time.

For my own part, I don't rent movies often enough to make it worth it to pay a monthly fee for that sort of thing.  Cheaper for me to just go to the video store (which again, is just down the street from me) when I want to rent something.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 05:54:30 AM »

DVD's, cinema, whatever I've got on my computer.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 05:56:39 AM »

Cable TV and Internet downloads.

Sometimes cinema.

I hardly buy Blu-Rays or DVD.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 07:04:24 AM »

Probably on my computer, it's where I watch the majority of TV. But I do go to the cinema's around once a week.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 07:46:08 AM »

So for international trips to either Europe or North America (which I do at least once a year), you're in the air so long that you can easily watch as many as five movies each way. 

I've noticed that on trips to East Asia.  I watch a bunch of movies, and in the surreal, transient, jetlag-induced fog they all run together in my mind.  Milk-Frost/Nixon-Titanic-Full Metal Jacket-Wizard of Oz was about a gay politican who was interviewed by an English journalist before going getting drafted and sent to a war in a Jungle where he landed on witch wearing ruby shoes which transported him onto a ship which sunk in the north Atlantic ocean in winter.  weird movie. 

My preference is on the 52-inch flat screen.  Mostly I watch free DVDs from various sources--the public library, the university library, the three I always get for 30 dollars when I apply for a credit card which gives 30 dollars credit free for applying (I have a box full of DVDs I got that way.  Good titles too, like Slumdog and Motorcycle Diaries.  Unfortunately I have a box full of rarely-used credit cards as well.)  We also have a bunch of one-dollar DVDs which are from the Dollar Tree.  I always dig through them there and once in a while I find a good one so I buy it.  Lately I've been watching lots of stuff on the computer.  Actually, you can get lots of stuff free now, and if it's a really good movie I'll run a RGB cable from the laptop to the big TV to watch it.

I don't care for movie theaters at all.  Uncomfortably cold, lots of obnoxious people making noise, bad food, and I can't pause it if I need to refill my wine glass or take a dump.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 07:53:52 AM »

Premium channels on cable (and their on demand options), for the most part. I sometimes use Netflix for movies, but not on a regular basis. Whenever I do have Netflix available, I mostly watch TV series. Earlier this year, I made a point of going through the entire series of Lost and it was very enjoyable (as I had previously stopped watching around the third or fourth season). I definitely consider myself among those who binge-watch single shows at a time. I just finished off ten episodes of CSI from my DVR over the past week, for example.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »

probably uTorrent -->> Windows Media Player or DivX.  I have attention deficit problems so I don't watch many movies anymore
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

Torrenting them and then watching them on my computer. Followed by the cinema, followed by Netflix.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »

trailers
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »

I use my eyes. After that Netflix or torrents.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »

Usually Amazon or Netflix streaming, and then DVDs.  Although I still have a few VHS tapes around (but not a working VCR.)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2013, 10:36:30 PM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

Torrent + any cheap reproductor, like every normal person.

It's not illegal here and I believe in free market. If it's free, why should I pay?

But i had the luck to watch Dark Knight on cinema, Wow.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 02:33:35 AM »

Torrents. I go to the cinema once or twice a year, and don't really buy DVDs anymore.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 03:24:32 AM »

Torrents. I go to the cinema once or twice a year, and don't really buy DVDs anymore.

Freedom Aussie.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies