MI-GOV: Snyder vulnerable.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:30:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-GOV: Snyder vulnerable.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-GOV: Snyder vulnerable.  (Read 1113 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:30:59 AM »

Looking at the latest PPP poll Snyder is looking very vulnerable his approval rating his still underwater a year after RTW bill and he only leads four against a candidate who  no one knows. Rs in the legislature are still passing controversial legislation (abortion insurance) I know the unions will be very active in MI in 2014 and will drive Dem turnout there. Snyder is seen as a big RINO after forcing through the Medicaid expansion so I think a lot of Rs might sit this race out.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »

Finally someone isn't panicking over this race.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:48:59 AM »

His approval ratings are low but they are very clearly moving in the right direction. I think this race is going to be closer than 2010, but Snyder is more likely to win than not.

But sure, he is vulnerable. Any incumbent with only a 4 point lead is.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »

More significantly his approval is only 42%. He may have won in a landslide in 2010, but many of those who voted for him recognize that he made a mistake. According to Nate Snyder, 44% at the start of the campaign season is the line of approval necessary for a 50% chance of an incumbent getting re-elected. December is before the start of the campaign season, but about everything has to go right (unusually-weak opponent, an economic miracle, absolutely no gaffes) for him to win reelection. 

His approval ratings took a dive once he signed the Right-to-Work law and a harsh anti-abortion law. Michigan has never been a hotbed of feminism, but it is a hotbed of labor activity. Industrial labor offers few on-the-job delights, and people tolerate it in Michigan (or elsewhere in the Midwest) only if it brings middle-income means. The Michigan state legislature enacted laws designed by out-of-state interests to gut the power of unions and drive down wages. 

Governor Snyder won election in 2010 in a Republican wave unlikely to be duplicated for years. Michigan voters had tired of a liberal governor and economic malaise, Snyder ran as a moderate who showed no signs of stepping on the toes of liberal and labor interests,  and he won on a gimmick against an unusually-weak opponent.  He won a landslide, but the low approval rating indicates that many of those who voted for him are disappointed. He will have a tough time getting re-elected. Michigan simply must return to its norms to oust him after one disappointing term.   
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »

His approval ratings are low but they are very clearly moving in the right direction. I think this race is going to be closer than 2010, but Snyder is more likely to win than not.

The Medicaid expansion and Detroit bankruptcy have helped him a lot.  It will probably be close, but I think he will win. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »

The Medicaid expansion and Detroit bankruptcy have helped him a lot.  It will probably be close, but I think he will win. 

More likely, based upon his current approval rating, the usual gain of 6% from an approval rating at the start of the campaign season to the vote share in a binary race, and never having shown himself as an unusually-strong campaigner (he isn't Barack Obama or Ronald Reagan) he loses 52-48. He might fare better than some other R governors like Corbett and Scott, but that's weak praise.

He stepped on too many toes to get re-elected.     
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »

I'd say it's a pure tossup. Once people know what Schauer is about, then I'll make a judgment. Until then, this is anybody's race.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 11:06:01 AM »

The rape insurance issue isn't going to help Republicans here.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »

The rape insurance issue isn't going to help Republicans here.

It has a veto-proof majority, so Governor Snyder can veto it and save his skin on that one.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies